Notices

where do you guys work

Old 01-03-2012, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
Well said, this is key, more so today than ever ....I think if you majored in philosophy or "liberal arts" then with the accumulated debt load, college would DEFINATLY be a waste of time considering during that time you could have enrolled in something that could actually help you get a JOB.....I cant believe the number of parents who actually pay for their kids to take such ridiculous programs.....these kids take such stupid programs then cry that the college system doesnt work and their the forgotten 99%.
My step-son got a full ride academic scholarship to the honors college at the University of Pittsburgh. He graduated with a dual major in Philosophy and Linguistics thinking he would go to law school. Then he soured on law and is now in Seoul, Korea teaching English as a second language. He's returning soon and realizes he needs to basically start over and get a marketable undergrad/grad. degree in business/accounting/finance etc.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Navy guy here. I can get out in 3 years and go into commercial aviation or stick around and begin to collect my retirement at age 42. I am leaning to staying in for 20 and then weighing my options after that. I wish that I couldve been a fighter pilot without a college degree, but you need those pieces of paper for everything these days!
Old 01-03-2012, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ona-Mission
Sorry to desagree with ya. Money comes as a result of what you do, not why you do it! Some people are very happy with little money.
I see what you are saying and I dont want to come off as money is everything. But fact is that most marriages end because of finances, and one the biggest causes for people to have disatsifaction in their life is finances, look it up its true.

You are right if I loved my job and made say 15k a year or less a year because of it I would take that. But you will not be happy working for pennies and struggling through life guarenteed. Now its all relevant too like you said, if you make 30k a year and rent an apartment and drive used cars and dont go out much or have much, but are content in life yeah go that route by all means.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I manufacture hi-perf and racing parts for newer Camaros, Corvettes, GTO, CTSV etc..... chassis dyno, engine dyno, EFI tuning, CNC and engine shop.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by diverkr
Navy guy here. I can get out in 3 years and go into commercial aviation or stick around and begin to collect my retirement at age 42. I am leaning to staying in for 20 and then weighing my options after that. I wish that I couldve been a fighter pilot without a college degree, but you need those pieces of paper for everything these days!
Your set up nice. Probably get out at what a LT Commander or Commander, with 40k coming from the government plus six figures working as an airline pilot. I would get out stop the deployments, do the easy life for 10 years and retire permanently. Use that 40k pension to pay off a house, bills etc for ten years and save the rest. Live off that pension from 52 and your investment until you SS. Maybe work at Gander Mountain or something fun 10-15 hours a week to pay for gas money.

I really mulled over staying in the Army for 20. But deploying every year and then BS training in between, just couldnt do it for 15 more. But if I did that was my plan. Work a six figure job THAT I WANTED TO DO for about 10. Then sit out the nice from about 53 to SS age working at Dicks or gander to keep me busy
Old 01-03-2012, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by soldier4402
One thing to think about is you retire at about half pay, so not quite enough to retire forever unless you worked your cards right. Take in mind in 20 years an officer is roughly a LTC or 0-5 and probably retires with about a 3300 a month payment with medical and your still paying I think 400-800 a year for that.

Enlisted probably at an E-7 or E-8 with about a 1800 a month payment
I definitely would be on my second career at this point in life. Over the years I've worked with quite a few folks that put their 20 years in and then hired on with my company.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
I definitely would be on my second career at this point in life. Over the years I've worked with quite a few folks that put their 20 years in and then hired on with my company.
yeah dont matter what service your in or enlisted or an officer those guys are in pretty high demand. I dont think I knew an officer who got out and didnt make over 100g a year.

We had this LTC at school when I was there he was retired he pulled 38k a year on retirement. He worked as contractor and made I beleive 20-25k a year, then since he officially taught army classes at the school the so the schoo has to pa them their minumum wage of like 30. He loved it, no weekends, no summer, spring break, winter break, all while making 100k a year. ANd the job its self was easy as piss, but he loved taking it easy and dealing with us nim rods. THen he got hired making 160k a year somewhere
Old 01-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

yeah dont matter what service your in or enlisted or an officer those guys are in pretty high demand. I dont think I knew an officer who got out and didnt make over 100g a year.

We had this LTC at school when I was there he was retired he pulled 38k a year on retirement. He worked as contractor and made I beleive 20-25k a year, then since he officially taught army classes at the school the so the schoo has to pa them their minumum wage of like 30. He loved it, no weekends, no summer, spring break, winter break, all while making 100k a year. ANd the job its self was easy as piss, but he loved taking it easy and dealing with us nim rods. THen he got hired making 160k a year somewhere
We hired very few ex-career officers at over $100K annual at General Dynamics unless they wore stars, possibly eagles and they had to wait to clear conflict of interest clauses. Most majors and LTC's want to be program managers without any program or internal corporate knowledge. If they did get hired it was between entry and mid-level.
About the only place we hired NCO's was in customer training groups.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good point. Self employed doesnt always mean rich, and if it means good money that person probably worked very hard and it took time.(although I have a feeling a lot of people use their business to sweep money around and make it look like they have money) But dont let them fool you either some of them had some breaks or were handed a successful business from a parent. 20-30 years ago setting up a business was a lot easier then today, due to the fact that somebody already thought it up and is doing it.
r u sure BIG Daddy know alot of business owners and there sittin very pretty and still spendin CA$H , how many of them Dicks or Gander mt employees are buying/ordering boats ???? NONE !!
carry on .....

ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
Old 01-03-2012, 02:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Interceptor
We hired very few ex-career officers at over $100K annual at General Dynamics unless they wore stars, possibly eagles and they had to wait to clear conflict of interest clauses. Most majors and LTC's want to be program managers without any program or internal corporate knowledge. If they did get hired it was between entry and mid-level.
About the only place we hired NCO's was in customer training groups.
I know if your GEN or Full bird you can write your own card. heck I had a job at GE offered starting in the 60's and that was only being a CPT. Didnt take it because I didnt want to move to bum F*** Egypt in Erie PA. Your right on NCO's ive seen plenty get out and make 35-50 plus their pension which means making more money. Thats problem with getting out of the military and I kind of found that out and that why I am back with the government. Even though I was in charge of 55 people and millions of dollars of equipment or an executive officer(second in charge) of a unit of 130 that had 50 million in property, the coperate world didnt seem to acknowledge that. And figured I couldnt control 3 people and half the process'. They wanted to spew out Lean six leand and all that stuff. Which is fine, because really military process's arent really that different and really are just called different things. And to be honest a lot of models used in the corporate world were developed by the military. Right now I think there is over 1 million unemployed vets which is just shameful

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.