Oil Filtration - ATTN Hydrocruiser

Notices

Oil Filtration - ATTN Hydrocruiser

Old 01-06-2012, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Oil Filtration - ATTN Hydrocruiser

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
2 gpm is not all that significant...keeping in mind only 30% of oil at any given time is going through the filter and the rest bypasses.
ATTN Hydrocruiser or anyone else that has the answers.

I came across this post doing some searching on oil filters. I know this subject has been beaten to death but I didn't realize that much oil bypassed the filter.

I assume a higher flowing "racing" type filter that flows more gpm would allow more oil to go through the filter, but at the expense of less filtration in the actual filter.

And what about the people that plug their bypass holes in the block? Would they now have to run a filter with a bypass to avoid the filter bursting if all the oil was now going through the filter?

Just curious.

Last edited by onesickpantera; 01-06-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:15 PM
Registered

Damn an oil thread with no replies?!!!
Old 01-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

speak'n of filtration!! Just my, I repeat my non technical simple minded opinion!! When I got my last boat w/ 525's I put filtermags on the oil filters rightoff!! Of course the 1st X I removed them I had 2 cut into the filters & C if there was "metal" held up on the side of the filter inside & oh yeah!! Sucked right up tight in the shape of the magnets!!! I have sent my mags 2 Ilmor 4 my new engines!! Simple minds R easily amused!! Good Luck!!
Old 01-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Scott, when you plug the block bypasses and use a filter with a flow rating that exceeds the output of the oil pump NO OIL BYPASSES the filter unless you rev up motor too high cold and you have a bypass in the filter. I'm not sure what Hydro meant by that quoted quip BUT maybe its out of context. This is the very reason guys run the giant fram hp6 racing filters, no bypass and flow rating far exceeds the output of most pumps. Now, some oil will go thru the oil pump internal bypass when cold also but that oil just gets spit back to the pan/suction side of the pump in a effort to hold max output pressure at a set point, Smitty
Old 01-07-2012, 12:10 PM
Registered

I have been running with a plugged bypass for 7 years now. With an assortment of std. size and 2 qt. size filters, I can say that filter restriction will not cause more than a couple of pounds of resistance to the oil flow, even when cold. I have had a lifter break and several valvesprings break but all of the metal was caught by the filter because the bypass was plugged. It's a good idea.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
Scott, when you plug the block bypasses and use a filter with a flow rating that exceeds the output of the oil pump NO OIL BYPASSES the filter unless you rev up motor too high cold and you have a bypass in the filter. I'm not sure what Hydro meant by that quoted quip BUT maybe its out of context. This is the very reason guys run the giant fram hp6 racing filters, no bypass and flow rating far exceeds the output of most pumps. Now, some oil will go thru the oil pump internal bypass when cold also but that oil just gets spit back to the pan/suction side of the pump in a effort to hold max output pressure at a set point, Smitty
Smitty, here is the thread I got that from:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...l-filters.html

This is more for curiosity as 30% is MUCH lower than I would have guessed. Honestly, I thought oil only bypassed the filter when the oil was cold(initial start up) and the bypasses in the block and/or filter open. Once warm/hot I thought ALL oil went through the filter unless there was a problem/restriction causing a bypass valve to open.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Registered

For those who might be interested, a NAPA Gold #1794 is a tall 2 qt. Wix filter with no bypass. Combined with a high volume oil pump, large oil lines and fittings and a plugged bypass in the block, I see no restriction at all from the oil filter.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PatriYacht
For those who might be interested, a NAPA Gold #1794 is a tall 2 qt. Wix filter with no bypass. Combined with a high volume oil pump, large oil lines and fittings and a plugged bypass in the block, I see no restriction at all from the oil filter.
At 9-11 gpm would that flow fast enough with your bypass plugged?
Old 01-09-2012, 07:05 AM
Registered

Never a problem. And after 20 or so hours oil change time, no noticeable loss of oil pressure from the filter getting clogged. I see no downside to plugging the bypass, unless you go years between oil changes.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Wix 51222r oil filters I use on my engines does have a bypass (18-22lbs), but it flows 28gpm (max)... although that is a racing filter and is the larger HP6 thread size and diameter.

9-11 gpm with no bypass seems rather restrictive in comparison, especially when you factor in a lot of guys run 20-50w or even straight 50w oil.