Notices

353 Formula Fastech

Old 01-11-2012, 11:38 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by RedDog382
WOW!!! A lot of Formula criticism for an owner of a "OLD" Baja 33. Why don't you put your money where your mouth is and pony up with a brand new 36+ Baja in your stable ...? Baja website doesn't look like they even make one anymore.

Formula builds a solid well-build boat, and unlike other boat companies they have done so from the beginning of time. They have improved their line over the years incorporating conservative steps, integrated stringer systems, factory-installed extension boxes, ITS, and the like. They offer several successful lines from very nice yachts to cruisers, Fastechs, SunSports, and the cross-over SuperSports. They even build an incredibly nice bowrider if that's what you are looking for. No other company has the diversity to do the same and thrive (let alone survive) in the current Obama economy. I'm sure it has been very difficult to suspend relationships with some of their best dealers. Everyone is in survival mode these days, Formula being no exception.

They do this from the middle of a cornfield in Indiana, and have been forced to cut their plant from over 600 employees in good times to around 200 currently. This is a family-owned business that values their employees like family members. One of the nicest and best technical assistants in the industry is now managing a tire store. The president of the company has been known to go out and hop on the lawn mower to relieve the maintenence guy on his lunch break. My name and those of my guests are on the marquee at the front desk when I walk into the building, and they have repeatedly taken the time to give tours of the plant lasting many hours. These are great people who support their customer far more than any other boat company out there.

In the medical field, we have an axiom that says "If what you are doing is working, keep doing it. If what you are doing is not working, then stop." Formula has undoubtedly set the standard for quality in the production-based performance boating industry. They don't copy others and are not trying to have the fastest boat out there, although they did very well when the economy allowed them to actively participate in the "factory-class" racing in the early 2000s.

I don't want to have the fastest or most expensive boat out there. I don't want the latest wild graphics that will be outdated next year, or McDonald's looking interiors that another outstanding boat company did for awhile. I don't want my boat to roll in a tight turn or kill my friends/guests in a sudden unexpected evasive manuver. I want a nice sporty windshield to offer a little protection from the elements during a crappy day on the Great Lakes. I like the thought of AC and an enclosed head while anchored in a bay at Lake Mead with a bunch of friends on a 114* day. If it comes down to having staggered motors vs room for three extra bikini-clad asian women in the cockpit, I'll gladly take the latter.

It's pretty simple ... if you don't like Formula or can't afford to pay for good quality, don't buy one (new or used).
Wow your just rude. People like you just ruin the fun everyone is trying to have on OSO enjoying powerboating.

Did I really criticize Formula or were all my statements true?

Did I respond the the original posters question?

So why are you asking me to "put my money where my mouth is".

I am not looking to spend 270k on a boat, but if I was, I would look at a used boat and get more for my money. So thats how I answered the OP question.

How should I have answered his question?

Why talk bad about My BAJA? I never talked bad about anyones FORMULA??? I even made it a point not to. READ my posts!

You enjoy talking about money?? I paid for both my boats, and 3 jet skis in full. I spend over $10,000 in boating fuel a summer, log over 200 hours, On vacation for 4 months each summer. I am 28, my beautiful other half is 27, and boating is our passion. We chose this lifestlye for us. If someone else chooses to spend 270k on a boat for them thats fine. But when asked for my opinion I will do my best to help.

If you want to keep talking Chit to me call me anytime. 231-534-5060

If not, and your a man, then apologize on here.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^^^this guy isn't ****in' around ^^^^^^^
Old 01-12-2012, 04:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Perfect Storm
THANK YOU! FINALLY someone who doesn't actually own a FasTech, but still UNDERSTANDS that owning a FasTech is a personal choice that we, as Formula owners made when we were weighing-out all of the options out there... It was what we decided was the best option (for us) at the time.

My best friend has a 31 Sonic, and I love blasting aound in that boat as much as my own... especially because we're burning HIS gas! Other friends of mine have enabled me to experience riding in a 42 Fountain, 42 MTI, 36 Skater, 35 Top Gun, 35 Cafe Racer, 357 Formula, 311 Formula, 30 Checkmate, 38 Scarab etc... ALL awesome boats with smooth rides and cool amenities that make each boat unique.

No need to criticize here or rip into someone's pride and joy... I too like them ALL!
Old 01-12-2012, 04:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Smarty
In my 11 plus years on OSO I think this post sums it up, "to each his own." Brilliant post.
Thanks Smarty....
Old 01-12-2012, 05:00 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Here's Johnny
Thanks Smarty....
You are welcome. Enjoy your day!
Old 01-12-2012, 07:14 AM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

As said very well in an earlier post, it's all about individual choice and taste. My preference has always been towards the Formula Fastech line, I like the clean traditional look of the Fastech and the windshield, by no means is it the fastest but it has one of the best rides and comforts for my family's enjoyment.

There are a number of other manufacture models that I like and would probably be just as passionate about if I owned one. But, I chose to buy a used Formula back in 2005 and I am extremely pleased with my choice. I have had the opportunity to work with the Formula factory on past issues and was also given the tour of the plant. Their customer service sure solidified me as a long term customer and brand loyalty. I also have my sights on a 40SS but that's for another conversation.

The 353 in question is a fair price, it's a personal choice to purchase new or used and there are plus's and minus's of each. It does not make it a bad choice if you chose one or the other providing you have the means (disposable income) and do not put yourself in a bad financial situation.

This is a great topic/thread. I have enjoyed reading many of the posts.

JB
Old 01-12-2012, 08:08 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Someone has to buy new otherwise we'd be like Cuba.......driving old boats. There's nothing like buying something new and unused. It just hurts financially.....like a lot!
Couldn't agree more. I just bought a new CL63 AMG and does it ever smell good inside!
Old 01-12-2012, 09:11 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Over DOUBLE the people on this thread have answered the OP questions...............

NOT A GOOD DEAL!

Why are you Formula owners so upset about this outcome?

Should we not help out fellow OSO members with our opinions and facts on if something is a good deal or not?

NO ONE said Formula's in general are bad, or that your not allowed to come to any more poker runs if you own one! (a joke)

I and many others have even tried to "sugar coat" our responses to not offend, and you still get all bent out of shape.

The truth must really hurt.......

The truth is... the hundreds of FasTech owners on OSO and I owe you and the "many others" who have posted on this thread a boatload of thanks for "sugarcoating" how you really feel about our boats!

Thank God you've managed so much restraint, or we'd all be looking to sell our boats!

Thanks for your thoughtfulness.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:46 AM
Registered

Wow your just rude. People like you just ruin the fun everyone is trying to have on OSO enjoying powerboating.

Did I really criticize Formula or were all my statements true?

Did I respond the the original posters question?

So why are you asking me to "put my money where my mouth is".

I am not looking to spend 270k on a boat, but if I was, I would look at a used boat and get more for my money. So thats how I answered the OP question.

How should I have answered his question?

Why talk bad about My BAJA? I never talked bad about anyones FORMULA??? I even made it a point not to. READ my posts!

You enjoy talking about money?? I paid for both my boats, and 3 jet skis in full. I spend over $10,000 in boating fuel a summer, log over 200 hours, On vacation for 4 months each summer. I am 28, my beautiful other half is 27, and boating is our passion. We chose this lifestlye for us. If someone else chooses to spend 270k on a boat for them thats fine. But when asked for my opinion I will do my best to help.

If you want to keep talking Chit to me call me anytime. 231-534-5060

If not, and your a man, then apologize on here.
Wait a minute, you came on this thread at response #20. The OP said that it didn't matter about the original question because the wife didn't approve, which was his post #11. Your negative post, at that point, was totally after the fact and offered NO help to the OP. In fact, he didn't ask for your opinion of the boat but rather the price on a new boat. Saying that a used boat is a better option really is NOT an original idea!

If I was considering buying a new boat, unlike you who has made it clear you never will, that price would represent a substantial discount from retail and would certainly get my attention. So, rather than "helping" as you suggest, I submit that your responses have been nothing of the kind. You've only contributed useless negativity to this thread and have shown that you have no idea of what a Formula boat is all about to their owners. IMO nobody owes you the slightest apology, since the rude comments came from you initially.

By the way, the word is "you're" the contraction of "you are" not "your" as you so incorrectly stated.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Yes overall formula is doing better BUT only because of its cruiser side of the business. The fas tech line is just as bad as any other production boat. Plus they are way over priced in todays economy. Especially when you can get way more for your money in a larger faster used boat. Un fortunately the fas tech line is outdated....and I bet money formula continues not to update it.
WOW! Try reading my quote without assuming my TONE.

Yeah if you assume that all my tone was negative, mean, harsh, or...

You can try reading my post in a happy, fun way. I actually wrote "unfortunately the fas tech line is outdated...and I bet money formula continues not to update it" in a sad tone. Because I love powerboats, and want the sport to thrive.

Where did I personally attack anyone?

Yeah I might be blunt, and if the truth hurts....sorry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.