Notices

353 Formula Fastech

Old 01-12-2012, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by boilerdaddy
I suppose I ought to stay out of it, and God bless Shogren for figuring a way around a crappy economy, but it isn't new boat sales that are doing it for him. As quoted from Jason Johnson's interview of him today at www.speedonthewater.com:

"We are having a great year — in fact, we are having a record year. That’s the good news. The not-so-good news is the majority of our sales are coming from used, not new boats and we see this trend continuing in performance boating for years to come. Although there is a buyer for every seller, the buyers are buying for a fraction of what a new boat costs, which is holding back new boat sales."

Just sayin'...
Your correct, and thats why I brought it up. Most of us on here agree that a used boat would be a better deal then that 353 new. But some feel that we should only compare new to new, which I understand, but its just to hard to get solid pricing.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by bimini run
Why would I come on here on my phone, while I'm at the boat show for some quick feedback and give false prices...

That checkmate's pretty impressive though, very nice looking and Checkmate makes a good boat. My brother-in-law still has his '86 21' which he runs pretty hard.
I have no clue but have you seen what some people do on here!!??

Its all good though. Glad you liked the checkmate. So are you still in the market for a new boat? Are you shopping the used market? Tell us more.

Thanks
Old 01-12-2012, 10:12 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

http://www.boats.com/boat-details/Ch...0-Zt/118105701

Good new boat to compare against.

ur kidding right?
I mean reaally???

I'm not saying they aren't a well-built boat, haven't been near one but when you include ALL factors of the Formula ownership experience from buying to the day she's sold...
as it has been for oh...25 years or more in larger performance boats

I think you're giving the boat a huge amount of
"benefit of the doubt"
and talk about DATED for the man's sake!
that thing looks like a mid 90's Baja resurection!!!!

and there is nothing "timeless" line-wise about that!!
(apparently there's no pukey smiley)

Last edited by Rippem; 01-12-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 45Tripps
Sonic Versus Formula, Sonic wins out in several aspects.
the new builder better have done some mold work and moved the finish quality light years ahead from the last

those were the reasons I didn't buy one when my own dealer was carrying and stocking...

musta been 5 gals of white silicone squirted in evry one I saw filling gaps and ill fitting pieces everywhere including all over in the cabin. I thought that was disgusting...

flaws in the molded non-skid everywhere. Yea, it's bitccc to pull clean, so if you can't go smooth...

could go on!
I was looking at buying one and far from my first! I looked them over good and NO WAY, Solid boat but I personally just couldn't live with what I found at that $ level

Last edited by Rippem; 01-12-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yo Bimini Run if u plan on making a Bimini Run in a "performance boat" I'd recommend a brand with a windshield that can handle big water.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rippem
the new builder better have done some mold work and moved the finish quality light years ahead from the last

those were the reasons I didn't buy one when my own dealer was carrying and stocking...

musta been 5 gals of white silicone squirted in evry one I saw filling gaps and ill fitting pieces everywhere including all over in the cabin. I thought that was disgusting...

flaws in the molded non-skid everywhere. Yea, it's bitccc to pull clean, so if you can't go smooth...

could go on!
I was looking at buying one and far from my first! I looked them over good and NO WAY, Solid boat but I personally just couldn't live with what I found at that $ level
Must have been a bad rigging, fit/finish job. Have never experienced that in any that I have owned or others I have been on & seen. Depending on what year and model, new or used, could play a big part in what you may have saw or seen, especially if it was used, and how it was taken care of, and patched up.

Your welcome to check out my 45 any time & I gurantee you wont see any of what you mentioned you saw.

I have seen similar examples of other manufacturers boats, even at boat shows with new boats and was amazed they would bring something like that to a show. Then I saw others of the same models that were of the same year or different that didnt exhibit what I saw, then I have seen the same across the board from some manufacturers.

Sometimes looking at one, you cant judge an entire brand from one experience, but if looking at several and see the same, then you can more acurately call it.

Bottom line Johnny sumed it up pretty darn well.......
Old 01-13-2012, 07:12 AM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Spray
Formulas and 'Paches are a long way apart. That's why I bought a Formula; they have drinkholders.
I thought all the Apache owners had super hot chicks to hold their drinks for them!