Notices

353 Formula Fastech

Old 01-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by RedDog382
Hey Al, weren't you looking at Formulas recently ...? And you got married and changed your phone number without calling me. Dude, are you OK?
PM sent
Old 01-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
After all the nice stuff I wrote you come back with this?

What tone should I take that in?

I thought we were good!

Obviously the economy is bad.

But there are ways to overcome it. Shogren is. They had a record year.
Yes, it's meant to be humorous. And Shogren is selling outdated Formulas, too!
Old 01-12-2012, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by RedDog382
Yes, it's meant to be humorous. And Shogren is selling outdated Formulas, too!
ok

well I guess time will tell on how the fastech line will do. I hope the powerboat market recovers and grows! Its boring taking out my Baja and there is no one to run with, so I have to go back and take the cruiser out instead!

Good news for the production powerboat market is Checkmate has a new 40+ for the miami boat show. So at least someone is coming out with a new production powerboat!

I hope Baja, Donzi, Formula, and Fountain do also. But only time will tell.

Almost forgot, Sunsation did just come out with the new 36.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:26 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OE - You are right about the tone thing. Words on message boards must be chosen very carefully since facial expressions and body language don't come into play here. If your comments have not been taken as intended, be patient and choose your words carefully.

I've based my comments on NEW boats, and don't see this thread as a "new versus used" thread; that conversation can take place elsewhere. I already explained my reasons for buying my 2000 382 new, but often buy used cars and boats as well when my needs are not as specific.

Getting back to the original thread, and restricting the conversation strictly to NEW boats, here is my input:
  1. For whatever reasons, one cannot buy new Fountains, Bajas, Donzis, Powerplays, Powerquests or a number of other brands, so they cannot be part of this conversation.
  2. Outerlimits, Cigarette, and Nor-Tech are custom builders, so comparing them to Formula also doesn't work.
  3. Those points being made, what production builders remain to compare Formula to? Maybe Sunsation (I did this earlier), Sonic for sure, and a couple of west coast builders. If we could get production numbers and pricing details on similarly-equipped models, it would help make a valid comparison to the 353 in question.
  4. When I bought my 382, it's list price was $288k, and I paid $224k. At the time, I was very pleased to get 22% off.
  5. The discount on the 353 in question looks to be roughly 34%. If I was offered 34% off of just about anything new (other than jewelry), I'd be pretty happy.
  6. Updates to the Fastech lines have been pretty extensive if you look carefully. However, the hull, deck and windshield remain as they have since 2000. Granted, those are the most highly-visible items, but I personally don't see anything wrong with them (opinion). These are also the most expensive item to change.
  7. A model 2000 382 did win the OPA P4 championship in 2011, so the bottom can't be too shabby.
  8. When comparing other boats to the 353, bear in mind the less-obvious features (regardless of whether or not you would select them) that add value: The quality of the basic components (resin, cloth, gel, vinyl, ABYC wiring, plumbing, etc.); the quality of the components (battery chargers, toilets, gauges, controls, lights, steering systems); add-on items (stainless steel windshield frame, touchscreen chartplotters, full-coverage paint, LED docking lights); and, most importantly - customer service.

So, eliminating used boats, what is there to compare this 353 to, other than the $360k Sunsation?

Fair enough?

Last edited by C_Spray; 01-12-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

Somewhere in the beginning of this thread someone said the msrp on this 353 fastech was around 400k. That's about the same as a 38 top gun with 525's. But we can't compare them because one is custom and the other production. But then again you complain when someone says a formula is not as good as a custom builder. You can't have it both ways. If formula didn't have any competition they would be selling a lot more boats don't you think.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbraun2828
Somewhere in the beginning of this thread someone said the msrp on this 353 fastech was around 400k. That's about the same as a 38 top gun with 525's. But we can't compare them because one is custom and the other production. But then again you complain when someone says a formula is not as good as a custom builder. You can't have it both ways. If formula didn't have any competition they would be selling a lot more boats don't you think.
The "Price is Right" is the only place MSRP is worthy
Old 01-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

Too many times manufactures will update a model and muck it up. I cannot count how many times I've had the conversation with boating buddies about past models of boats from various manufactures that we wish were still being produced today because those models were classic and timeless. IMO, the Fas-Tech line fits that bill. No need to add bustles, wings, flaps, bulbous bulges on the deck, indented hull sides, additional hull steps, hull vents, etc. so that you can call it a "new model". Improvements in layup, rigging, power, paint, interior materials, etc. can do enough year to year to keep a model "fresh" for a production boat that even in the best of economic conditions will not move a ton of units.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Wow your just rude. People like you just ruin the fun everyone is trying to have on OSO enjoying powerboating.

Did I really criticize Formula or were all my statements true?

Did I respond the the original posters question?

So why are you asking me to "put my money where my mouth is".

I am not looking to spend 270k on a boat, but if I was, I would look at a used boat and get more for my money. So thats how I answered the OP question.

How should I have answered his question?

Why talk bad about My BAJA? I never talked bad about anyones FORMULA??? I even made it a point not to. READ my posts!

You enjoy talking about money?? I paid for both my boats, and 3 jet skis in full. I spend over $10,000 in boating fuel a summer, log over 200 hours, On vacation for 4 months each summer. I am 28, my beautiful other half is 27, and boating is our passion. We chose this lifestlye for us. If someone else chooses to spend 270k on a boat for them thats fine. But when asked for my opinion I will do my best to help.

If you want to keep talking Chit to me call me anytime. 231-534-5060

If not, and your a man, then apologize on here.
Public service announcement ladies and gentleman!!! It's officially winter on OSO so let the bickering begin!

To keep with the thread, it seems like 270K is a lot for a 35ft'r under 100mph. Formula is MY personal favorite for fit and finish and something 30ft or better will be my next boat, but for a large chunk of OSO people, that kind of coin is hard to rationalize with the used boat market being so reasonably priced. Somewhere near the beginning of the post was talks about offering 225-250, why not? There is NO argument on this thread (which I read in its entirety) that formula fit and finish is indeed top notch and the boats not only last but keep the owners comfortable for a decade at least. Guy's we aren't buying Honda Accords and long haul trucks! We're buying toys and trying to put a value on it...

offshore, I'm cracking up at your post. Thanks for the laughs
Old 01-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow! you Formula guys should try owning a Fountain.....
Old 01-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 1,324 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
Wow! you Formula guys should try owning a Fountain.....
LMAO!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.