Notices

OT: Where to stay on Maui

Old 06-18-2002, 08:55 AM
Luxy60

Talking OT: Where to stay on Maui

The wife to be and I will be honeymooning in Hawaii in late November and I'm just planning the trip now. I'm thinking about a week to 10 days on Maui and a few days on Kauai. Just wanted to get some recommendations on where to stay on both/ either island. I'm looking at the Westin Maui and the Four Seasons but neither of us have ever been to Hawaii so it would be helpful to get some opinons from folks that have been there, done that!
The beach area is most important along with access to good resturants and some night life buts that secondary to the place itself and the beach.

Aloha...Luxy

Old 06-18-2002, 08:57 AM
Charter Member #590
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Westin Maui is gorgeous!!! It is right on Kanapalii Beach, and a short walk from Whaler's Village. Also not too far from Lahaina for the nights out. You've chosen wisely grasshopper!!!
Old 06-18-2002, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cool Maui Cottage

Honeymooned there just last October. We found this GREAT private cottage near Ho'okipa Bay (north shore), (best windsurfing and kitesurfing in the world). Secluded, private and extremely clean. Owners (Hank & Barbara) live on the property and take great care of the place. We took day trips with a rented Jeep, you can be anywhere on the island in 45 minutes. Drawback is that it is not on the beach, but that wasn't important to us. Best thing was only $85 per night!! you won't find anything less than this. Our cottage at LOTO is more!
Check it out at www.hookipabayview.com Say hi to Hank & Barbara. Book early, they fill up quick during whale watching season (nov to feb). Our friends are there mid October.

Congrats and Best of luck!
Travis
Old 06-18-2002, 10:55 AM
Registered

You wont be dissappointed. We went they to get married on the beach. Stayed on mauii for a week and kauii for a week. I am not much on vacations but this was one of the best things i have ever done. make sure you do the road to hanna trip it is cool!
Old 06-18-2002, 11:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

The road to Hana trip is awesome. We did the 3:30 a.m. trip up Haleakula to watch the sunrise above the clouds - fantastic -
Check out Roy's restaurant in Kahana, near Kaanapalli - we had our wedding dinner there after being married on the beach
Maui is the best no matter what area you go to.
Old 06-18-2002, 11:23 AM
Charter Member #590
Charter Member

Best places to dine in Maui

1. Roy's in Kahana. Capt J hit it on the head. The best food you'll probably ever eat. The chocolate souffle dessert is outta this world.

2. Kimo's in Lahaina. By far the best, and possibly the most romantic atmosphere you can find. Dine out on the patio, where the palm trees sway in the warm breezes, tiki torches blazing, waves crashing under the patio, lotsa rum drinks with umbrellas in them, and outstanding seafood. This place is the consumate Hawaiin restaurant for a honeymoon. Kimo's Restaurants

3. Plantation House in Kapalua. Very elegant dining, great food. Maybe the ONLY place on Maui where one MIGHT think of wearing a tie. Don't give in!!!

4. Mama's Fish House. North of Kaalui on the Road to Hana. Seafood, seafood, seafood. A great place to stop for lunch on the way to Hana.

5. Bubba Gumps in Lahaina. Variety of foods, but specializing in shrimp. Also on the beach, but more of a fun place to go, not romantic.

6. Ruth's Chris in Lahaina. BEEF, BEEF, BEEF. Some of the best steaks you'll ever eat.

7. "The Gazebo" in Kapalu for breakfast. A big open-air outside gazebo with a thatch roof. Sits on top of a cliff overlooking Kapalua Bay and the waves crashing over the lava rocks. You can see whales swim past while you eat a great breakfast. The macadamia pancakes are a must try there!!! Not fancy, just good eats.

These are my pics. Enjoy!!!

Last edited by Laveyman; 06-18-2002 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-18-2002, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We stayed at the Maui Marriott. it is beautiful. I will stay there again. in is also on the Kanapali beach. a long stretch of beach with about 10 mahor hotels. it is much better than waikiki because the hotel parking lots separate the hotels. in other words, from your hotel you can see 80 dgrees to the left and 80 degress to the right out to some of the neighboring islands

lots to do on Maui
1) luau - right at the marriott - awesome food and entertainment
2) ride (coast ) the bikes down from Mt. Haliakala. awesome all day event. see the sun rise at 5:00am and end the day on north shore.pedal for less than 1/4 mile!!

3) day trip to Hana

4) snorkel/cruise on Trilogy 60' catamaran, see sea turtles,snorkel, see whales. great grilled chicken and fruit

5) scuba dive

6) Lahaina whaling town

7) IAO valley national park

8) helicopter ride to see the entire island/ waterfalls

9) awesome beach at the marriott / Kanapali beach area

I WANNA GO BACK!!!!

have fun
Old 06-18-2002, 11:38 AM
Registered

I did the same thing about a year ago...We stayed at the Westin in Maui and it was really nice. You can go snorkeling/diving at Molokini crater which is a few miles offshore with lots of fish,etc to see. Make you sure you get in a fast boat because it can take the slow boats a long ass time to get out there...

Road to Hana is cool, get a CD that you can play in your car as you're driving because it will tell you the good spots to stop, etc..Also, if you rent a Jeep in Maui, you can drive all the way around the island after the road to Hana. There is a winery that we stopped at on the way back...Not too big, but still fun.

Watching the sunrise at Haleakala and then biking down after is awesome...We had some hippie guy in a van take us up and then we could bike down by ourselves afterwards..That seemed better that the bigger tours where all the bikers had to stay together. Pacific-O in Maui was good to eat at and also Roys.

In Kauai, we stayed at the Sheraton and it was nice. There's not as much activity and nightlife in Kauai compared to Maui. If you're into water skiing, you can water ski in Kauai in a freshwater river...It's awesome because you'll be the only person skiing...There's one guy who can pull skiers and you end up getting pulled next to kayaks and tour boats...Bubbas burgers in Kauai was good for lunch

Have fun!!
Old 06-18-2002, 11:49 AM
Charter Member #590
Charter Member

Oh yeah, I forgot. Probably the best beach on Maui...Kapalua Bay!!! It is right below the Ritz Carlton in Kapalua. Soft sand, palm trees, protected cove, kinda secluded, and great snorkeling. It reminds me of the lagoon on Gilligan's Island.
Old 06-18-2002, 11:56 AM
mdbotr

By far Wailea is the nicest (and most expensive) area in Maui! We stayed at the Grand Wailea Resort and Spa. ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS. You can go to their website... www.grandwailea.com, and they have great pics and info about the resort. In wailea there is great shopping, awesome restaurants and Mama's Fish House in Paia is a must. The road to HANA is cool too. Also make sure you go the Molokini to go snorkeling. The Grand Wailea has a great beach and pools. The Spa has been rated #1 in the world for the last 7 years. It is the most beautiful place I have ever seen. All the resorts around it are 1st class also and many movie stars have homes around that area too. You would be nuts to go there any stay anywhere else.

Quick Reply: OT: Where to stay on Maui

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.