Michael Allweiss sends letter to race sponsors >

Michael Allweiss sends letter to race sponsors

Notices

Michael Allweiss sends letter to race sponsors

Old 01-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by F1-00 Racing
Everyone has some valuable insight however in this "fishing expedition" of collecting everyone's insurance policy information, has Mr. Alweiss requested the policy information of Page Motorsports? Did Mr Page require Joey to sign a waiver to race in his team's boat with him? Mr Page states that he attempted to help Joey escape from the cockpit, was Joey kicking or screaming? If not, does that mean that he was unconscious? If he was unconscious, then drowning cant possibly be the only cause of death, he also suffered a head trauma in the event that he possibly was unconscious....

In Mr Page's subsequent car accident on the way home from Key West, what was the response time of EMS? Did they have the "jaws of life" on their truck? Is it required to have the "jaws of life" on their truck? Should they now be sued due to inadequate procedures?

With all of us living in a "spill a cup of coffee on lap and get 2 mil from McDonalds" society, and by the looks of spaghetti lawsuits(throw enough against the wall, something is bound to stick) about to happen, shouldnt everyone involved be named in this lawsuit?

I have tremendous amount of respect for Mr Page and the whole Page Motorsports team, but with Mr Alweiss being allowed to tear down every aspect of pleasure boating here in Florida, does that make it to where certain producers, sponsors, etc are the only targets is right? Remember, we do live in a CYA society as well and with the can of worms being opened by Mr Alweiss, he shouldnt be too selective as to whom he sues or doesnt.
Some interesting points
Old 01-12-2012, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Ted G
By nature our legal system is an adversarial one. The only person in the courtroom that needs to be unbiased is the Judge and Jury. The fact that Mike A has long standing issues with John C may just make him work a little harder and dig a little deeper. As I stated before Mike A is exactly the person who should be litigating this from the Gratton family's perspective.
Having said that if his/their actions kill the sport then they will have to live with that. At this point all the rest of us are just spectators.
That may be true but I don't believe for a minute that this guy is doing it "for the good of the sport and safety". That would be like Ford suing a GM sponsored race and saying the same thing. Really?

Several years ago I took my Cigarette down to Ventura Harbor for a little run. They just happened to be running a POBRA race that weekend and asked if I would be a safety boat. I said sure and we went out with scuba divers onboard and was told what to do if there was an accident.

I had no formal training (other than being a former volunteer fire fighter) but wanted to help out so they could run the race.

Think what would have happened if there was a death or serious injury. There is no way I'd be involved now for fear of being included in a law suit, even if the accident wasn't in my area of coverage.

I will not even want to be a card boat in a poker run and would even think twice about participating in a poker run. As an individual, I can not afford to be involved in any kind of lawsuit. I don't think my insurance company specifically excludes poker runs but I don't know if they would cover me if there was some mass lawsuit of everyone involved.

The offshore racing sport is already hanging by a thread and this will probably kill it. Unlike auto racing, I don't think there is enough money in boat racing to keep it going.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Don't be so negative! I bet he got his OWN plumbing worked on while having a company paid vacation in Key West watching boat races and tossing back a cocktail.

Mike A didn't write that law! His job is not to enforce the law either......it is to represent his client's interest.
Read my earlier post.

I agree, he's doing his job and he didn't write the law.
And yes he is representing the best interests of his client.

I'd hire him in a minute.

BUT and its a big BUT

DO NOT bullchit me with the crap that its an attempt to make the sport safer.
It is not.

No one knows what the clients interests are here.

If its making the sport safer, it will be safer because it wont exist.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:50 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have 1 regret....not getting to see the final Key West Race
Old 01-12-2012, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

US1's got it.

I guess booking next year would be a waste. Very sad
Old 01-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
I have 1 regret....not getting to see the final Key West Race
+1
Old 01-12-2012, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's a thought...

With Mr Alweiss stating that this "not about the money" and only in the interest of safety, How about this as a possible settlement?

Request that the insurance companies pay for every 2011 registered race equipment owners of SBI and OPA be flown in to St Pete along with the respective presidents and safety/technical staffs of SBI/OPA and a panel of 10 "boating safety experts" to sit down one weekend and throw us all in a room and lock the door until we can come up with "specific safety guidelines and procedures" as well as enforcement procedures and implementation.

I mean this whole litigation isnt about money right?
Old 01-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by F1-00 Racing
Here's a thought...

With Mr Alweiss stating that this "not about the money" and only in the interest of safety, How about this as a possible settlement?

Request that the insurance companies pay for every 2011 registered race equipment owners of SBI and OPA be flown in to St Pete along with the respective presidents and safety/technical staffs of SBI/OPA and a panel of 10 "boating safety experts" to sit down one weekend and throw us all in a room and lock the door until we can come up with "specific safety guidelines and procedures" as well as enforcement procedures and implementation.

I mean this whole litigation isnt about money right?

Good thought...but it wont relieve the angst of the sponsors or others with interest here.

Whether there are official guidelines or not, someone has to have the faith in the organizer to follow and enact them.

I'm sure 3 months ago there was some existing safety guideline as to the placement and provision of ambulances and a method to meet them asap from the race course.

That wasn't in place.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by catastrophe
Good thought...but it wont relieve the angst of the sponsors or others with interest here.

Whether there are official guidelines or not, someone has to have the faith in the organizer to follow and enact them.

I'm sure 3 months ago there was some existing safety guideline as to the placement and provision of ambulances and a method to meet them asap from the race course.

That wasn't in place.
So your saying this is about money? Mr Alweiss has been quoted saying differently. I am confused now
Old 01-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

Where does the litigation stop? Who else is getting sued? the boat owner for making it available? The boat maker for making a boat that would flip? The seatbelt manufacturer? The scuba air guys for not having a label that states that the air must be "ON" to work? The sponsors on the boat? The spectators? No race without 'em. The trailer makier for allowing the boat to get there? The "seat belt cutter maker" for not marketing them enough for them to have one in the boat? How about APBA? If APBA and SBI would not have split, maybe the races would be safer? Bigger boat count=more safety?

Really, where does it start and stop? This **** makes me sick. It is about money. No doubt about it.

Our company had to stop being a sponsor of a local catfish tournament that alot of our customers fished in once my lawyer found out about it. He said that was a big no-no. Guess he was right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.