Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Michael Allweiss sends letter to race sponsors >

Michael Allweiss sends letter to race sponsors

Notices

Michael Allweiss sends letter to race sponsors

Old 01-11-2012, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd like to hear the thinking behind how going after the insurance company of the local merchants is going to make the sport safer.

Last edited by Catastrophe; 01-13-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going after sponsors for damages in a boat racing death is nothing new. In 1984 during an event (not offshore)that I was involved with, a spectator death occurred as a result of the racing. Everybody even remotely involved with the event was sued, including two major company sponsors (beer and automobile/truck). Five years later the suit settled, ten different insurance companies came up with $500,000 each (including the major sponsor companies) which was a record award for the state on a single fatality accident. The racing venue never held another event.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:30 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't he the former president of APBA?

The TV report says they are not after the money, but to change the way they are organized. That the rescuers response was to slow and he drowned.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:40 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having dealt with this for the last 10 or so years, I can tell you that when the liability policy for the race is written it includes coverage for all the sponsors. We would submit a list of covered insureds the day or two before the race and they would be listed on the final policy papers. As has been said any lawyer will cast a wide net and get all the information before (in this case) even filing a suit. The real problem here would be how the liability policy was written and if all the sponsors, venue, etc. were all listed as co-insureds. If not....
Old 01-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by catastrophe
I'd like to here the thinking behind how going after the insurance company of the local merchants is going to make the sport safer.
without the sponser,s,there would be no racing,if i was a sponser,id run from any racing in the waters of florida,talk about screwed up laws
Old 01-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

I'd like to here the thinking behind how going after the insurance company of the local merchants is going to make the sport safer.
I think this action could save countless lives in the future because it probably will result in far fewer events being held.

What cracks me up is that Florida would pass such a law in the first place. And people actually sit around and wonder why there are fewer jobs in this country. Effing bought and paid for politicians. The law lobby makes me want to vomit.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:47 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Interesting
Sure is...

My response; "Told ya so"....

I warned long ago and it looks like the crank it turning..
Old 01-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Payton
Isn't he the former president of APBA?
He is... yet everyone thinks he's doing all this for the "better of the sport" and not chasing an ambulance...

Not for the good of the sport in my opinion...
Old 01-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Originally Posted by mike tkach
without the sponser,s,there would be no racing,if i was a sponser,id run from any racing in the waters of florida,talk about screwed up laws
And that's the way business works... A business normally does not want to associate themselves with risk... I think this is an ambulance chaser making a personal attack guise'ed as being good for the sport.

Harsh, yes... True? Yet to be proven otherwise.

Ban me if I don't tow the party line.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey if the laws of the land say you can sue the sponsors and get money, so be it. The sponsors should have known they had exposure.
BUT
Don't bullchit me with the line that its "to make the sport safer"
Its for money.

Can you imagine the manager of Bed Bath Beyond who wanted to push some beach towels that week ??

OOPS.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.