Michael Allweiss sends letter to race sponsors

Notices

Michael Allweiss sends letter to race sponsors

Old 01-12-2012, 09:12 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
How is it that this lawyer is even allowed to represent in this case when he obviously has issues from the past with the promoter in question? That is what bothers me, if the family wants to sue, that is their choice.
Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
Conflict of interest??
Originally Posted by rchevelle71
That was my thought right off the bat.
By nature our legal system is an adversarial one. The only person in the courtroom that needs to be unbiased is the Judge and Jury. The fact that Mike A has long standing issues with John C may just make him work a little harder and dig a little deeper. As I stated before Mike A is exactly the person who should be litigating this from the Gratton family's perspective.
Having said that if his/their actions kill the sport then they will have to live with that. At this point all the rest of us are just spectators.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ted G
By nature our legal system is an adversarial one. The only person in the courtroom that needs to be unbiased is the Judge and Jury. The fact that Mike A has long standing issues with John C may just make him work a little harder and dig a little deeper. As I stated before Mike A is exactly the person who should be litigating this from the Gratton family's perspective.
Having said that if his/their actions kill the sport then they will have to live with that. At this point all the rest of us are just spectators.
Point taken

BUT

" JUST SPECTATORS" is the whole reason the sport exists.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

That Fla law will have Poker Run sponsors running away as well. Say GOODBYE to the whole Key West experience.

And St. Pete, Jacksonville, Destin, etc.

FARGIN' ICEHOLES
Old 01-12-2012, 10:11 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 36 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by catastrophe
The simple receipt of that letter is enough to turn off a sponsor.
This sport as everyone can see doesnt attract too many multi national corporate sponsors.
When a race comes to town it gets the interest of the local merchant who for 2-5k gets his name on some banners hanging around town.

This whole mess will quickly turn off that tap.
I've been a sponsor to poker runs in the past. I will say I never will again. The hastle to a sponsor of just getting a letter isn't even worth the risk. These events are dangerous in nature.
I never knew about this law. Most sponsors just feel that donating money is an easy way to say thanks. But when thanks turns into lawyers asking for this and that... Well... No thanks.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
That Fla law will have Poker Run sponsors running away as well. Say GOODBYE to the whole Key West experience.

And St. Pete, Jacksonville, Destin, etc.

FARGIN' ICEHOLES
This will effect every state and here in Canada.

The internet will make sure of that.

The average merchant wont want to delve into whether their state's law is similar to Florida or not.

Way to much risk.

The ROI for any event sponsor is negligible or zero.

How many plumbing jobs do you think the local guy in KW picked up because he stroked a check for that race ?

Answer.....NONE
Old 01-12-2012, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ted G
Point taken, but just doesnt seem fair to all parties. I agree he is the best person due to his knowledge of offshore racing, but kinda leaves SBI and their insurance co's at a disadvatage.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by catastrophe

How many plumbing jobs do you think the local guy in KW picked up because he stroked a check for that race ?

Answer.....NONE

Don't be so negative! I bet he got his OWN plumbing worked on while having a company paid vacation in Key West watching boat races and tossing back a cocktail.

Mike A didn't write that law! His job is not to enforce the law either......it is to represent his client's interest.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Everyone has some valuable insight however in this "fishing expedition" of collecting everyone's insurance policy information, has Mr. Alweiss requested the policy information of Page Motorsports? Did Mr Page require Joey to sign a waiver to race in his team's boat with him? Mr Page states that he attempted to help Joey escape from the cockpit, was Joey kicking or screaming? If not, does that mean that he was unconscious? If he was unconscious, then drowning cant possibly be the only cause of death, he also suffered a head trauma in the event that he possibly was unconscious....

In Mr Page's subsequent car accident on the way home from Key West, what was the response time of EMS? Did they have the "jaws of life" on their truck? Is it required to have the "jaws of life" on their truck? Should they now be sued due to inadequate procedures?

With all of us living in a "spill a cup of coffee on lap and get 2 mil from McDonalds" society, and by the looks of spaghetti lawsuits(throw enough against the wall, something is bound to stick) about to happen, shouldnt everyone involved be named in this lawsuit?

I have tremendous amount of respect for Mr Page and the whole Page Motorsports team, but with Mr Alweiss being allowed to tear down every aspect of pleasure boating here in Florida, does that make it to where certain producers, sponsors, etc are the only targets is right? Remember, we do live in a CYA society as well and with the can of worms being opened by Mr Alweiss, he shouldnt be too selective as to whom he sues or doesnt.

Last edited by F1-00 Racing; 01-12-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Mike A didn't write that law! His job is not to enforce the law either......it is to represent his client's interest.
I disagree, he is making it his job to exploit the issue because the law says he can. He does NOT have to do anything
Old 01-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by boatme
I sat in a mediation for our suit, and all the discussion was how much money that each insurance company would toss in the pot, and how much each company was willing to SETTLE FOR. Our suit total award was over 8 million I believe, and it was paid by more than one insurance company it was a cumulative total of all that were dragged into the process. Do not kid yourself, this is about the money!
Hey, Marc. Did they literally name all the sponsors as well? I know we've gone over this before but I don't think I ever asked you that particular question.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.