Notices

Buying 1st boat

Old 01-12-2012, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying 1st boat

Hi all,

I am new to this site and basically signed up to get information for an upcoming purchase.

I live in eastern caribbean and am regularly on my uncle's boat up and down the grenadines, st.lucia and martnique. Stepping up to my own boat and am looking for something fast but can deal with the water that we see on a normal basis. I cannot tell you by feet what kind of water that we see here but I see some big water on regular basis especially around this time of year when the wind is high.

I would like to buy a 42' boat or bigger and for childish reasons want an american boat however the boat hulls from Boeing marine and Formula in trinidad are proven rough water hulls so the boat has to be above them in terms of rough water performance. Other than that I want a genuine 100+mph boat (comfortably @ 100mph). Again childish reasons.

Seen a guy in St.Lucia with a big donzi and seen two old fountains around but never got to meet owners to ask them their impressions of each.

Budget at the moment is USD$400k but may go up depending on if wifey likes "Jezebel" as well.

Regards,
Mattakiss

ps. not able to attend Miami boat show to meet the manuacturers
Old 01-12-2012, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck on your search!!! Check out Nor-Tech boats!!! great options & standard features!!! 43's, 50 V bottoms & a new 47 v on the way!!! May not B the fastest around but the combination of quality, ride & service is hard 2 beat! welcome!!
Old 01-12-2012, 10:59 PM
Registered

Default 1st boat

Check out the Donzi's in the classified section. There's a nice 43 in there for 273k. There's also a few 42 outerlimits for around 200-250k. Good luck.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:47 AM
Registered

u just looking to go out and have fun on your own and a few friends that are of the same minds? not many chicks are up for the ride you probably want to go out for!!! take clients out?...open or canopy boat? you want to have over night capabilities? cat or v? or just go like hell? having done a lot of boating in the caribbean; both in large crossings and island hopping. and knowing what it's like to get simple parts let alone competent people to do something with them other than wash and detail a boat is a challenge in itself.

i consult for yachts, offshore boat buildings, race and pleasure. Both new used and refits from michigan to florida to trinidad.

have a look at my site : www.gofastjoe.com
email= [email protected]
i look forward to hearing from you!
there are SO MANY variables in this simple question you pose. Many of them concern long term issues/expenses and in the offshore world peoples definition of these terms is extremely distorted. i can pretty much breakdown all the pro and cons of hull configurations and powertrain configurations and what it will take to maintain each; both long term and short term....most of all how they will perform in various conditions! i would have to say all companies and boat owners exaggerate ( A LOT!) these numbers!!!! people tell you what you want to hear!
Old 01-13-2012, 06:20 AM
Registered

I would like to go like hell, but assured the boat handles well in rough water and have a comfortable ride for wife and kids. That being said I would dial back on the speed depending on who is with me.

As for parts, I plan on going with mercruiser power and drives as their is a dealership in St.Lucia and Martinique and worst comes to worst I will fly them in from Miami. Part of the reason why I want a big boat is because it comes with inboards so a competent mechanic can fix ( I am hoping the dealers or mercruiser will supply with the service manual and or computer). Am I wrong in assuming inboards are very similar to american big blocks? Outboards are the more dominant engine where I am and people swear by them but in my mind inboards would be more reliable as there are basically sea water cooleed car engines. The only guys with inboards that I know have old engines (1990's ) and I doubt they were working properly when they bought ther boats to begin with.

As I said in my first post I am gathering information at this point. I know what kind of boat I want but not what boat. My default choice if I cannot settle on an american built boat will be a 36 ft Boeing with triple 350 verados as I know exactly what I am getting there but I really want a big inboard. If I am going to sink money into a blackhole might as well be the one i really want not my back up.

Mattakiss
Old 01-13-2012, 06:23 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

try fountain
Old 01-13-2012, 07:40 AM
Registered

I thought so too but i have read many negative reviews regarding their rough water performance and comfort as well as aren't they out of business? I would lke to be able to get parts for boat as I think i will probably have it for at least 7-10yrs.

Mattakiss
Old 01-13-2012, 07:54 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Darr #28?
Old 01-13-2012, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You want to buy a 40-50' 100+ MPH boat and you don't know anything about inboards/outdrives? No offense, but I have been around boats and boating all my life and would never dream of starting off on my FIRST BOAT with such a beast. Good luck with your search and please get some qualified help before you pull the trigger on something that may kill you or your loved ones.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:09 AM
Registered

Man a lot of haters here. If you got the dough then I wouldn't listen to them. Sure you will have maintenance on high HP engines but you know that, and if you are willing to fly techs down from Miami than it is time to go big!

If you seriously want speed and the most reliability you can get engine wise I think you would have to look at outterlimits. They have so much efficiency you could be doing triple digits with twin 700 mercs which are low maint relatively speaking. The 1100 and 1350 power-trains are great but I've heard they still have some kinks to work out electronically and what not...this may be a PIA living in the islands plus nobody will have experience servicing them.

I still think Cigarette has a great ride in rough water and would look at 42x and 46 rough riders. Being as your close to Miami I would talk to Phil @ Lipship marine. That way you have a relationship with him and can get service done in Miami or bring some of his guys down to you.

Those would be my two choices.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.