Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What do you think she's worth ??? >

What do you think she's worth ???

Notices

What do you think she's worth ???

Old 01-16-2012, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Kind of confused. If the poster has a 38 baja special why even look at something like this? Doesn't make sense.

huskyrider - would be a good idea to take a look at my 28 apache listed here. Its less than an hour drive from you and the motors are almost brand new.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Kind of confused. If the poster has a 38 baja special why even look at something like this? Doesn't make sense.

huskyrider - would be a good idea to take a look at my 28 apache listed here. Its less than an hour drive from you and the motors are almost brand new.
It would be for my son and his family.
I'm looking for a go fast boat on the cheap that we can invest sweat equity and a little coin into.
I'm thinking 10k plus 15 out of pocket and handling as much as we can at my shop.
I like the old school look and the size, plus I've read positive reviews about the Scorpion 38 hull in my searches.
Over 25 and I could most likely find a running boat that just needs knick knacks.

Thanks for y'alls replies.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 01-16-2012, 11:51 AM
Brotherhood #1
Gold Member

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Husky go for it at 10 as I said. Sorry Tex but that 28 doesnt compair to a 38
Old 01-16-2012, 11:58 AM
Registered

Sting,
Thanks, that's kind of where my mindset has been since the very get go.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 01-16-2012, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

I just cannot see having 25K in something that no one else wants! If you want sweat value and a little money in something, at least start with a hull that someone else may want when you are done.

Spend the 25K up front and buy your son and his family a nice, newer boat they they can enjoy now. Not something that may or may not get them home every weekend.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by huskyrider
It would be for my son and his family.
I'm looking for a go fast boat on the cheap that we can invest sweat equity and a little coin into.
I'm thinking 10k plus 15 out of pocket and handling as much as we can at my shop.
I like the old school look and the size, plus I've read positive reviews about the Scorpion 38 hull in my searches.
Over 25 and I could most likely find a running boat that just needs knick knacks.

Thanks for y'alls replies.

See ya,
Kelly
Have you ever repowered a boat like this? Have you and your son taken on a lot of these kinds of projects? IMHO you should budget closer to $20-25K for a reliable stock repower. Once you pull the motors everything will start to show up, gimbals, steering pins, transom assemblies, cables, hoses, pumps, etc. Adds up fast.

You should also look into insurance before buying. My buddy had something similar to that, he put over $50K into his boat.......only to find out most wouldn't insure it and those that did wanted $8-10K per year. If the insurance company finds out that is was a race boat you will never be able to insure it.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TxHawk
I just cannot see having 25K in something that no one else wants! If you want sweat value and a little money in something, at least start with a hull that someone else may want when you are done.

Spend the 25K up front and buy your son and his family a nice, newer boat they they can enjoy now. Not something that may or may not get them home every weekend.
Hawk,
Thanks for your reply too.
You know I'm kind of at a crossroad on this. We have a buyer who's supposed to bring cash for our ZX10R Ninja's we're selling.
I'll be sitting right in the middle of the value I felt was for the unit, so it'll be an equity trade. In retrospect thinking I'd probably yank the 454's to have them disassembled and inspected. If worthy, I'd pay for them to be rebuilt for reasonable power and longevity instead of forking bigger coin for new powerplants. My boat's not fast and he doesn't need the speed headaches too.
We really like the old school look and the salon, plus we tend to hang on to toys for a lot longer than many motorsport enthusiasts. The only reason we're selling the crotchrockest is that I lost a dear friend last year in a sportbike accident and truly feel this is a good time to put them out to pasture. I can foresee this boat parked in our stable of fun for many years to come.
I'm deeply grateful for all of y'alls insight. This site rocks with a wealth of knowledge on all aspects of the sport.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 01-16-2012, 04:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Have you ever repowered a boat like this? Have you and your son taken on a lot of these kinds of projects? IMHO you should budget closer to $20-25K for a reliable stock repower. Once you pull the motors everything will start to show up, gimbals, steering pins, transom assemblies, cables, hoses, pumps, etc. Adds up fast.

You should also look into insurance before buying. My buddy had something similar to that, he put over $50K into his boat.......only to find out most wouldn't insure it and those that did wanted $8-10K per year. If the insurance company finds out that is was a race boat you will never be able to insure it.
Your a mindreader, LOL!!! You must have been posting at the time I was. We've built cars and bikes a plenty but on boats not really anything major to speak of. But I've swapped plenty of engines, tranny's etc... in my excavators and work trucks. I could unwire, unfasten, and use a trackhoe to snatch the motors out like we always do.
Thanks for the heads up on insurance, I'd probably just tell my agent of 25 years that it's a 38' Scorpion w/stock BBC's good for about low 60's at best.
I don't think she'd hit those 70 to 80 speeds without some real power under the hatches.
My boy liked yours but I told him I think it would be an insult to offer much less than the asking price. I get my panties in a wad when peckerheads come offer me 60 to 70 cents on a dollar to my asking price. I'll always have some wiggle room but will usually stop at 20% off of what I'm listing for.
Personally, I love an Apache and think your boat would be a great riding boat in our area. We don't get really big water like some of you members do.

See ya,
Kelly

Last edited by huskyrider; 01-16-2012 at 04:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-16-2012, 05:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

I have never done a boat from the ground up like that.

I know though that when I did a basic gimbal repair to replace the swivel seals I blew through a couple grand pretty quickly and didn't even realize it. ALL of this little stuff added up - I can only imagine that on a full re-rig it would be exponentially worse.

And like someone said - in the end you are left with a boat that doesn't even have it's own classifieds sub-section on this website!!! I think that might be telling to me.

I think FREE has a nice ring to it!!
Old 01-17-2012, 07:21 AM
Registered

One thing everyone here will agree with is the fact that the boat isn't going anywhere. And it certainly isn't the only old school 38 on the planet. If he doesn't accept a low ball offer, walk away and go find an old Stinger 390 or a 12meter fountain. They are out there and may be a favor in the end.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.