What do you think she's worth ??? >

What do you think she's worth ???

Notices

What do you think she's worth ???

Old 01-17-2012, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by In The Pink
One thing everyone here will agree with is the fact that the boat isn't going anywhere. And it certainly isn't the only old school 38 on the planet. If he doesn't accept a low ball offer, walk away and go find an old Stinger 390 or a 12meter fountain. They are out there and may be a favor in the end.
I agree completely and there are plenty to choose from.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 01-17-2012, 07:30 PM
BRT
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you have your answer. If you like it for 10k, buy the thing for 10k.
The project can be fun and if you don't fool yourself into thinking that you 'll make money on it in the end, you're ahead of the curve.

Not breaking anyones balls here but why do some devalue this boat when their own iron sits and sits and sits...

Good luck and have fun.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Registered

Default What'd ya do ?

Hey Husky I was wondering what you ended up doing about the 38' Scorpion you were thinking about buying as a project??
Old 03-10-2012, 05:36 PM
Registered

I never even drove out to see it as it was at least a 3 1/2 hour drive from my area.
The seller is in a pickle as his balance on the note is way more than the cash value of the boat. I told him this is a very common situation and welcome to the powerboating world.
I offered him to approach the lender and request a short sale and my understanding on these is that they'll let you off the hook for unpaid principle and then send you a 1099 as misc income that you have to pay income taxes against for the amount off the charge off.
I'm going to wait again until the end of the season around Halloween and approaching him again. I don't see him spending more money to fix her up or moving it at his asking price unless it's a less than knowledgeable buyer.
It's quite a shame 'cause if I could have picked it up for between 10 to 13 I'd of pounced on it. I still believe it's a good boat at that pricing level. I found some pretty good insight on this offshore boat builder from that era during my internet searches. The builder, a spanish racer, had positive reviews on the hull quality, offshore handling, and the look is classic offshore cigarette styling.
My only concern was how much of a pounding she might have taken and how hard it would have been to remove and or flush 4 100 gallon fuel tanks. These were issues I was going to bring up when we met in person. I'd hope he'd of handled this before rigging his salon, which I did think was a tasteful looking interior.
She's got potential at the right price.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 03-10-2012, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are a couple other options...

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/boa/2854267194.html

http://porthuron.craigslist.org/bod/2887159534.html

Personally, that second stinger is the one I would look at...only 25 hours on the motors..