Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Fort Myers, Fl! Best area to stay? Rent boat? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/268860-fort-myers-fl-best-area-stay-rent-boat.html)

Catastrophe 01-29-2012 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by bluellama (Post 3594380)
On the Back Bay.... Bonita Bill's or the Nauti Turtle.
On the beach .... Nemo's or the Smokin' Oyster Brewery.

If you can make it to Pine Island by boat ... Woody's Waterside.

18 of us hung out at Woodys yesterday.

Canadian Boys came down to boat and drink this weekend.

Great time had by all.

BlueOval 01-29-2012 12:06 PM

Rented from Naples Bay Marine last spring, ran up to Marco, had a great time.

FuelinAround 01-29-2012 12:43 PM

What type of boat rentals are available.

bluellama 01-29-2012 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by catastrophe (Post 3604221)
18 of us hung out at Woodys yesterday.

Canadian Boys came down to boat and drink this weekend.

Great time had by all.

Nice......

Twin O/B Sonic 01-30-2012 07:17 AM

I was also going to...

Originally Posted by golfmaxgolf (Post 3594388)
If you can make it to Pine Island by boat ... Woody's Waterside.

If you get up As far north as this Get across to Captiva and Safety Harbor. Be careful of the oyser beds They are plentiful! Rich[/QUOTE]

suggest Pine Island. I used to live in the Cape 10 mins away and spent way too much time/$$ out there.
Much more laid back than say Ft.Myers Beach (one of our favorites) but kinda gives you a sample of old world Fla and has enough to do to get you in trouble. I especially like the bar in Matlachee that has a manatee hanging from the ceiling and advertises it as the dinner special ;)
If you boat out of there you can go Cayo Costa which is next barrier island north of N.Captiva. The Gulf side is 9 mls of gorgeous, protected beach. My favorite place to anchor/party on the beach. Only accessible by boat.

The other tip on a house in the Cape is also a good one. I stayed on a canal, w/a dock pool and a 2 story house. 2nd floor master bedroom had a balcony over the edge of the pool.
Couple shots of Quervo and i proved it was possible.
Their market is in the toilet too so everything is dirt cheap.

For fun though, you can't beat Ft.Myers Beach. From mild to wild and all on a gorgeous beach. They have a trolley that runs the length of the island too so no driving. Great food, drink, scenery etc. Make sure and have a drink on the 4th floor deck/bar at Lana Ki for a view to remember.
The trolley will take you all the way off of the south end and onto Lovers Key which always makes top 10 beachs.
I went to rent a boat our first trip there and saw what you get for how much and said screw it! Instead, laid on the beach drinking margaritas while reading the S.Fla. Boat Trader when a light bulb went off. Came back the next yr and bought a 13' Whaler on our way through S.Fla and used it for the week and had an absolute blast! Took it back to Ohio and sold it for twice the money.
I remember getting drunk on top of the Lana Kai and not noticing how rough it had gotten. Looked over the rail at the little Whaler anchored off the beach 4 stories down and it was stuffing into every other wave and had washed everything over the transom and up on the beach. Looked like a wreck derbis field!

TEAMBAJA 01-30-2012 08:14 AM

Anyone know how to get to the Ragged Ass Saloon by water? I was there once but forget how we got there.

And dont forget Cabbage Key for a Cheeseburger!

bluellama 01-30-2012 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by TEAMBAJA (Post 3604803)
Anyone know how to get to the Ragged Ass Saloon by water? I was there once but forget how we got there.

And dont forget Cabbage Key for a Cheeseburger!

There is a sign for the Ragged Ass on the way into the canal that Woody's is on, I think you head straight instead of turning right into the canal...

http://yfrog.com/2gu4y8j