Notices

DSM Big Water Poker Run!!

Old 06-17-2002, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DSM Big Water Poker Run!!

I just measured and I am 1 inch Shorter (Not in the cold water way) Nothing like a poker run in the rough. Thumbs up to Dick Simon Marine and its new owners for a great run on Saturday. Over 50 boats took on the Dana Point to Catalina to Newport to Catalina run. The event started on time with Mr. Simon Hanging (Literally) from the top of an Albemarle fishing boat waving what could be the smallest American Flag ever made. After all of the drivers waited to see if Dick was going to fly off the top of the boat we followed the 42 Foot American Flag that took only seconds to cut threw the rough and hold a strong lead. Boats ranged from 52' to 23' and as near as I could tell everyone had a good time. Dick passed the torch to The new owners at the ceremony and reassured everyone that he would still be around as always. The Dana Point Property was filled with Cigarettes, Outerlimits, Fountain, Formula, Baja, Albemarle, Mustang, and World Cat. The Quality and amount of boats on the lot where nothing short of impressive. Scot Conrad and Family where walking around and greeting there new and old clientele with a confidence that could only foreshadow a bright future for the company. Within the past few weeks I have seen first hand how Tommy and Scot are taking a hands on approach with Sales and Service. Considering I am based out of the same area I am enthusiastic that Powerboating will grow as a hobby and a sport due to great days like this past Saturday. Thank You again to all at DSM for a great time.
Old 06-17-2002, 02:15 PM
HavasuCat

It was a great run, the water was nice and big heading towards the Island. We we getting some good air time and the helicopter should have some good footage. They said the poker run is going to air on 09/11 on the Outdoor Channel.

I had the pleasure of having Scott and Tommy in my boat for the run and we all had a great time. I am a little sore, but better off than some of the bruised and battered people I saw after the run. Can't wait till next year!!!

Old 06-17-2002, 02:30 PM
Boat Girl

Wow, new owners at Dick Simon...I wish all of them the best...sounds like the run was a success and fun...Cool...Matt, are you coming to FL soon...I may have some news for you...

Old 06-17-2002, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had a great time at the poker run...It was our first one in the ocean and the first trip to Catalina in the new boat.....Thanks to Dick Simon Marine and Sonance for everything!! We're going to be signing up for the SCOPE run soon!

One more question for the more experienced people in the run...Was the water on the way to Catalina from Dana Point rougher than average, smoother than average, or about average for a run to Catalina??
Old 06-17-2002, 06:13 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Hell YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!

That really was a great poker run...........it's just gonna get bigger. With water like that, it's sure to increase the service volume at DSM. Great job guys!!!!

Steaming Rice....great to see you out there!!!!!!!!!! The adventurous part of that run is the fact that we were starting at 11:00am and heading to Catalina......and from Dana Point, the swells generally are straight in front of you like a launch ramp (as you might have noticed). I can tell you, if you were on it (like many guys were), you're gonna get some air, and fall into some holes in that +35 miles of ocean stretch.

HavasuCig (aka HavasuCat)- great to see you out there too....and congrats on being the second boat to Catalina. I talked with Kenny and Calder yesterday....they really ripped it up out there, and paid for it on Sunday.

Matt- Did I see you out there......I'm not sure. I let my buddy Torre do the stretch to Catalina because morning came early for me, and this is what the start looked like to me........

Attached Thumbnails DSM Big Water Poker Run!!-start.jpg  
Old 06-17-2002, 06:24 PM
kwb
Registered

What do you mean Norty? I feel great!! Amazing to have done the run on 2 hours of sleep the night before!!! But it was a kick in the ass..... Can't wait to see the video.

BTW - were you having a flashback? lol
Old 06-17-2002, 06:47 PM
Registered

Oh yeah.......and HavasuCat and KWB.......where were those +100mph cats on Saturday? How come they weren't in front?

If it's big water, better be in a V for "victory" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-17-2002, 06:55 PM
kwb
Registered

Cigarette Racing Team all the way baby!!!!!!!!!

I dedicate the victory to BCC - who we all love and miss
Old 06-17-2002, 07:08 PM
HavasuCat

Originally posted by PhantomChaos
Oh yeah.......and HavasuCat and KWB.......where were those +100mph cats on Saturday? How come they weren't in front?

If it's big water, better be in a V for "victory" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nort,

I kept asking the same thing. I thought the 40 skater was going to domnate after seeing it run in Havasu (150+ mph boat). As I was running I kept thinking any second now some cats are going to go screaming by, but it was not to be.

We actually stopped for about 5 minutes because our Halon discharge alarm went off about halfway to the island (the bottle came loose and disconnected the wire), and we still did not see anybody behind us. The Cig definitely impressed me. I think running a cat straight into those swells would have been a little scarry myself!!

Congrats KWB, you boat looked great from behind

Old 06-17-2002, 07:09 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

I heard the yellow Team Virgin F2 boat finally arrived out west. Did anyone talk to the new owner? .... will they be regulars or once in a blue moon boaters. That would be a nice addition to our SoCal armada.

Cigs DO Rule

G

Quick Reply: DSM Big Water Poker Run!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.