Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Still waiting for Boat title??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/269125-still-waiting-boat-title.html)

himself 02-02-2012 05:49 PM

How do you insure a boat that you have no proof is yours?? Man is be camped out on there doorstep until I had a title...

Downtown42 02-02-2012 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by cigrocket (Post 3606044)
Funny how a "Big Dealer" in the Chicago area can not provide a Title on a 35' Fountain purchased and paid in full since August of 2011 to a good friend of ours. 6th Months. And they took his boat on trade. Kind of Ridiculous.....

So what is "RoundHead's" explanation? :bunnydance:

More ethical excuses I presume.... :rolleyes: :sport009:

89Mach1 02-02-2012 06:29 PM

MUST be "BOAT DEAL" ....... Had a similar problem with them about 4 years ago. Not only did the title take about 4-6 months to get to me, the boat nearly sank! The were suppose to change all the bellows before I took it home, I never even thought to check if they actually did the work.... Docked the boat to go to dinner, came out about 1.5 hours later to leave and water was almost up to the plugs!!! I pumped to down enough to get it started and flew back to the marina and got it on the trailer. Long story short, after all the B.S. with them about it they never paid a cent, AND they still owe me a stainless prop (the gave me the wrong size originally). By the way, did I mention they already had my old boat and clean title?!?! I ended up selling the boat the following spring, it had bad juju....

****DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM "BOAT DEAL" IN BREWERTON, NY- THEY ARE SCAMMERS****

soldier4402 02-03-2012 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by himself (Post 3608167)
How do you insure a boat that you have no proof is yours?? Man is be camped out on there doorstep until I had a title...

Never had anything in my life that Ive had to show proof of ownership to insure. They ask make model, and VIN or HIN and thats it.

CrownHawg 02-03-2012 11:12 AM

I'm sure the ins co will take your money for the policy, but if you have a claim, they are gonna nail yer ass to the wall if you can't prove the item in question actually is YOURS!

soldier4402 02-08-2012 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by CrownHawg (Post 3608682)
I'm sure the ins co will take your money for the policy, but if you have a claim, they are gonna nail yer ass to the wall if you can't prove the item in question actually is YOURS!

You may be right. But again I have never had insurance ask for proof when I filed a claim. Maybe somebody has a law, but Im pretty sure you can insure anything you want to, ownership is on the state. As long as you werent commiting insurance fraud. For instance if my buddy gives me his truck to borrow long term, he can very well reg it , as long as I insure it I dont think there is anything wrong with it.

As I may have said before bringing stuff to court is a lot easier said than done. There are a lot of people on here that throw out getting a lawyer or going to court. Which is appropriate in many instances. Just know that cost money and time and there is no guarentee of outcome. Business often times have more outs than you realize and cover their bases, it may be unethical and they may be getting off on technicalities but they do. Also some of them have deeper pockets and better lawyers than you do. Best bet is to show up person and be civil and firm and state your demands. File a BBB complaint, doesnt always do something, but it is leverage and starts a documentation process that you can later use in court. A lot of people fail in court because they rush it and dont really have a lot of documentation or a history to show the judge.

cigrocket 02-17-2012 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Downtown42 (Post 3608185)
So what is "RoundHead's" explanation? :bunnydance:

More ethical excuses I presume.... :rolleyes: :sport009:

Spoke with my buddy at the boat show last night, still has not recieved the title. Even though they were quick to respond to this thread when posted. Now back to "As the Boat Turns".....

pondrunner 02-18-2012 12:54 PM

I'm happy to post that all has been worked out...it seems a gentle nudge from the NYS DMV, NYS Attorney General's Office and my lawyer, prompted the dealer to pay the fees, register the boat and trailer and transfer a clear title. I don't believe that a customer should have to go through this extreme, but it is what it is...or was! Some advice to protect yourself...bypass the dealer filing the paperwork and demand to do it yourself with them the day of the sale, or DON'T buy. I had a few sleepless nights over the last five months waiting for the dealer to do his part, to say the least.

Expensive Date 02-18-2012 01:52 PM

Glad it worked out for you.

mach1magnum 02-18-2012 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by soldier4402 (Post 3613006)
You may be right. But again I have never had insurance ask for proof when I filed a claim. Maybe somebody has a law, but Im pretty sure you can insure anything you want to, ownership is on the state. As long as you werent commiting insurance fraud. For instance if my buddy gives me his truck to borrow long term, he can very well reg it , as long as I insure it I dont think there is anything wrong with it.

As I may have said before bringing stuff to court is a lot easier said than done. There are a lot of people on here that throw out getting a lawyer or going to court. Which is appropriate in many instances. Just know that cost money and time and there is no guarentee of outcome. Business often times have more outs than you realize and cover their bases, it may be unethical and they may be getting off on technicalities but they do. Also some of them have deeper pockets and better lawyers than you do. Best bet is to show up person and be civil and firm and state your demands. File a BBB complaint, doesnt always do something, but it is leverage and starts a documentation process that you can later use in court. A lot of people fail in court because they rush it and dont really have a lot of documentation or a history to show the judge.

they will want a title if it sinks or is totaled somehow no title no check