Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Still waiting for Boat title??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/269125-still-waiting-boat-title.html)

pondrunner 01-20-2012 02:49 PM

Still waiting for Boat title???

Well, here is the deal and I'm hoping to get advice here on how to proceed...I Purchased a used boat back in September from a local fairly large dealership. I traded in my boat and gave over the title to it and cash difference. I paid the dealer for the boat & trailer registration and re-title required in NY state. No title or registration comes in the mail from Albany and when I inquire with DMV in December, they don't know a thing about it. I call the dealership..."paperwork mix-up, we'll look into it" Today I follow-up and they haven't yet sent out the money I paid to Albany DMV or the titles and mention something about issuing duplicate title. They say not to worry, I'll have it by spring!?!?
QUestion1: Do I own the boat I bought? (Possession 9/10ths of law?)
Question2: Does this appear that they are delaying payoff of the boat I bought for some reason?
Question3: DO I have legal recourse? In February it will be 6 months since purchase and they want me to wait longer!
QUestion4: How should I proceed?

:bsflag:

tony manzella 01-20-2012 03:04 PM

LAWYER . "No Questions asked" . :party-smiley-004:

glassdave 01-20-2012 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by tony manzella (Post 3597826)

plus ONE . . . . . there is no reason to take six months . . . . none that should be of any concern to you.

ron52732 01-20-2012 03:14 PM

Title

Did you buy from Boat Deal in Brewerton? Had a similar deal that required intervention from a lawyer and the dealer section of the DMV.It took months,then it got registered twice and I ended up with the trailer being registered as home built and not the original manufacturer. It was extremely frustrating but I love the boat !

blownhammer2000 01-20-2012 03:17 PM

was this boat you bought a repo or a bank short sale? they definitly take longer to process everything

cuposterchild 01-20-2012 04:02 PM

Sent you a PM

Chuck 01-20-2012 04:58 PM

Probably on a floor plan and the dealer doesn't have the funds to pay it off and process your paperwork. Contact a lawyer and your bank ( if you have a lien on the boat). Good luck

Expensive Date 01-20-2012 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by tony manzella (Post 3597826)

+1 There is a real possibility that the boat has a lein on it. In this case you do not own it.

byrideroffshore 01-20-2012 06:40 PM

file complaint with State Attorney General

Kelly O 01-20-2012 07:23 PM

Incredible how many dealers, even the ones with a great reputation, play games with title documents long after a customer has made good on their side of a transaction. Shell games.

Spend a couple minutes on this matter each business day until it gets resolved.