Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   saginaw bay michigan poker run... is there one? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/26916-saginaw-bay-michigan-poker-run-there-one.html)

traviss 06-18-2002 11:13 PM

saginaw bay michigan poker run... is there one?

I knew in the past they had the "Bay Blast" poker run each year.. Is there gonna be one this year? I thought I heard they were not going to have it anymore... so whats the scoop.. any info will help.

Thanks

B.R.S. 06-18-2002 11:46 PM

Traviss I went on the Bay Blast three years in a row it was a super fun run. They stopped it 2 years ago because the dealer that put it on stopped selling performance boats. I have talked to one of the people involved on several occasions and there are rumors that it may be back but not this year.

traviss 06-18-2002 11:50 PM

Thanks BRS... I remember seeing the coverage from those runs in hotboat or powerboat and remember seeing your boat... cool man , sweet ride. :D thanks for the info

Travis

Bayley 06-19-2002 09:05 AM

I too remember seeing the coverage in one of the boating magazines. I think the run started in Bay City went to" Sebewing (sp?), Au Gres, and Tawas City. This right? If so... that's a lot of water to cover in one day! I was surprised to see that the run didn't make it's way to Caseville. I guess if you're not going to shoot the gap between Little Charity and Sand Point, it's a pretty long haul around Big Charity.

On a side note, what else is there is do in Bay City besides Hooters (boating access wise)? Don't get me wrong... Hooter is cool and all, but it's starting to get old.

-Bayley

neu-rich 06-19-2002 10:14 AM

Hey Guys, The Bay City River Rour, Is This Weekend Sat. & Sun... I Will Be At Hooter's All Day Sunday Watching The Race, (Big Group On The Lawn In Front Of Hooters, I Will Have My Crownline Hat On) These Races Are Great.... And Hooters Girls Are Great:D :D

traviss 06-19-2002 10:21 AM

Hi bayley.... hows ole casville these days... I meaned to ask you.. about 5-8 yrs ago there was a boat in caseville named "shady lady" it was a huge offshore all black.. do you remember that and know what that was?

There is not much else to do in the saginaw river and bay.. we ran a few times in the fall on the river.. we put in a few miles north of wicks landing in dowtown saginaw, then we run all the way up the river to the bay.. it takes about 2 hrs with all the no wake zones, it is real fun when the river is only wide enough for 2-3 boats and your running WFO :eek: ... its even better when you buzz the fisherman WFO about 30ft from them LOL! :D :D

Bayley 06-19-2002 10:45 AM

OM F'ing G!!!
Someone remembers the "Shady Lady"!!!

That boat was around Caseville for the longest time in the 80's. I remember, as a kid, passing that boat on a shore station in Caseville Harbor in my Dad's old cuddy cabin. It was right across the river from the gas pumps a Saginaw Bay Marina (then Hoy's). I don't remember much about it, except that it looked about 70 feet long. I was only about 6 or 7 years old, but when you're that small, everythinglooks huge. My Dad remembers it being a 30 something foot Scarab. Never saw the boat running on the bay though.

Back in the early 90's I seem to remember someone buying the old boat and bringing it back up to Caseville for a summer or two. Looked very clean and well kept. Every time I saw it, there were two middle aged woman towing it around. Again, never saw it on the water. Haven't seen it since.

Last two years, there has been some guy with a 35' (I think) Cigarette with twin HP's on a (different) shore station in the harbor. I only got to run him once last lear... and that was with the $hity props. Some guys that work at the marina have talk to the Cig guy before, but I've never been to catch him (on land at least :D )

As for the Saginaw River, how much of that is no wake between Saginaw and Bay City? I know the trip from Bay City to the Lake can get very long and boring, but was wondering if it opens up as you approach Saginaw.

-Bayley

traviss 06-19-2002 10:52 AM

yup when i remember the shady lady it was about 5 houses down from my uncles cottage... sweet looking boat..

There is like 3-4 no wake zones i think ( can't really remember) Thats what takes so long is the idleing.. i think its about 25 miles from wicks park in saginaw to the mouth of the river.. other then that we run wide open long as the motor lets us LOL! The cool thing is running WOT through dowtown saginaw under all the bridges.. it is unbeleiveable :cool: mostly the river is industry and frieghters some houses... the zilwalkee bridge :rolleyes: and damn fisherman LOL! :D

290PQ 06-19-2002 11:46 AM

Hey, Traviss maybe we could get something going up here!!
How about a little Fun Run?
:p
BTW The little boat is a blast, That is untill the accident. I flipped it going wfo. I think I got all the water out of the motor but it still won't run. Maybe I'll get a chance to play with it this weekend.

I've been watching for you but haven't seen you up this way.
See ya:)

dadinator 06-19-2002 02:27 PM

I'm Bayley's dad. The Shady Lady was a 40Ft+ Excalibur. It was owned by the Long family of Marlette, Michigan who sell modular and mobile homes. They had/have a cottage a mile north of Caseville. I was impressed years ago when one of the 20-something Long Daughters was backing the Shady Lady into the driveway. I found this out years later from Mrs Long (the mother) when I stopped at their lot to look at mobil homes. I need a mobile home because performance boating has emptied my wallet.