Time for a new boat (new to me) >

Time for a new boat (new to me)

Notices

Time for a new boat (new to me)

Old 01-16-2012, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for a new boat (new to me)

Its that time.. Ive had my Baja 240 Sport for almost 10 years now and Im ready to step up. Looking for something in the 30 to 38 foot range depending on year, price and weight. My self imposed budget has a 80k limit. I live in Pittsburgh and get 5 good months a year to boat so I cant justify spending too much. I do plan on towing it to some poker runs in the future though.

My criteria; comfortable room with overnight amenities. Looking to be able to have some high speed passes but majority of the time I'll be cruising at a slower speed anyways. Definately want a boat with twin power. I like the piece of mind about having the additional motor if I take it offshore or on a large open lake. Dependability. Not looking to get into a boat with blowers. I like having turn key dependability.

My list so far...

Baja 36 and 33 Outlaws, Fountain 35, Wellcraft/Scarab 33, Active Thunder 32 or 37, Sonic 31SS...

I do love the lines on the Cigarette 35 Cafe and 38 Top gun but the prices tend to be too high for what Im looking for or it puts me into a boat that is older than I want to go. I want to stay with a late 90's boat at the oldest.

Also, along the lines of reliability. Whats the issues of getting a boat with Merc blue motors?? I see alot of ads with 500's or 525s that state they have had rebuilds. How often to you have to rebuild them and what does that entail?? Its been nice that I have never needed to pull the motor from my boat and rebuild it. And it has over 600 hours on it. I have had to replace alot of accesory parts but nothing internal.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I am heading down to Miami for the show and plan on looking at some used boats in the area to try to narrow down my list. I also plan on headin to Shogren's at some point to do the same.

So what's your thoughts?
Old 01-16-2012, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

32 Sunsation with 496's. Good enough for overnighting and good in rough water.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

U may consider a Formula 353! saw a couple in the classifieds not super far from your # on paper, but less w/ your offer!! had 1, good overnight capabilities & amenities!! good luck!!!
Old 01-16-2012, 03:47 PM
Registered

Ive looked at the Formula Fastechs and Ive never been a big fan of the style. I know they are a great boat for build quality. I just prefer more of the offshore racer look with fiberglass fairings and such. I have seen a couple sunsations and even a nordic that I've liked. They just are not that common.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:57 PM
Registered

The 35Lightning is a somewhat smaller boat than the others you listed. If you want a 38' Fountain, it's a 42 you want. For comfort and offshore capabillity, something like these.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o42509-en.html
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o43220-en.html
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o28191-en.html
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o42946-en.html
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o36455-en.html
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o36108-en.html

It's all a question about personal preference.

Last edited by A.O. Razor; 01-16-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:59 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

If your happy with Baja get a 36 outlaw.

Tons of room,,,,great rough water boat,,,,, just not as fast as others.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:04 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 342 Likes on 114 Posts

You'll be VERY surprised to find out how much boat 80K will get these days!
Old 01-16-2012, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

You might just get some money left over
Old 01-16-2012, 05:43 PM
Registered

if u can find one for that price; the 32 active thunder is in a different league then the other boats u mentioned. their rigging is up there with the best of them unless you are talking unlimited budgets. 500 hp's with carbs have gone hundreds of hours in race boats all at WOT. the AT's are great to work on in the engine room as some of the best.

i still dig the 32 AT and i've raced, owned, and rigged some of the fastest boats on the planet.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:54 PM
Registered

If you can swing it for all around everything buy a Sonic 358 Dialog with 525's or bigger. The 32 AT is a great choice and runs good also. The 33 Powerplay is as good and will out run the AT but the cabin isn't as plush.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.