Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Apache 47' going up for auction. >

Apache 47' going up for auction.

Notices

Apache 47' going up for auction.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd say they are doing really well to get 10k for it! $25,000??? $2500 might be pushing it!
Old 01-25-2012, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Buyer Beware....

My dad is the original owner and when he owned it the boat sank in our back yard. We still have the original trailer for the boat.

Then the boat was sold to someone in Texas and they put a swim platform and padded the engine hatches. After a test ride the gentleman in Texas demanded his money back.

The boat absorbed water when it sank and it never ran again.

I can go into more details if needed but I won't want to see someone spend good money on a boat that doesn't run. Bobby Moore who originally rigged the boat advised us wisely to stay away.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:14 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd put it in my yard as a decoration if someone brought it to me.

It is a shame to see it wasted away like this though.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Bill Gifford had this boat running at one point and it was the US Offshore pace boat with the current "FLAG" paint job that is on the boat.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OFFICIAL BUSINESS
Buyer Beware....

My dad is the original owner and when he owned it the boat sank in our back yard. We still have the original trailer for the boat.

Then the boat was sold to someone in Texas and they put a swim platform and padded the engine hatches. After a test ride the gentleman in Texas demanded his money back.

The boat absorbed water when it sank and it never ran again.

I can go into more details if needed but I won't want to see someone spend good money on a boat that doesn't run. Bobby Moore who originally rigged the boat advised us wisely to stay away.
PROOF POSITIVE that this site rocks!!!
I've yet to have an unanswered question on everything I've asked about here.
You guys and girls are the greatest.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 01-25-2012, 02:51 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

fellas, from a glass guys point sinking isnt always a deathbell for fiberglass unless it was left under for a month or two. Rigging on the other hand does not fair well and for a big ol' resin bucket with no core it will have almost no affect on anything that wouldn't be replaced in complete resto anyway. Stringers and bulkheads get their damage from being left out year after year in the elements and poor rigging or drainage issues. Standing water for long periods of time in the superstructure kills a boat. How long was it under and why'd it sink?

Certainly is one ambitious project to say the least. I suppose if someone wanted one bad enough anything can be fixed. Definitely not for the weak at heart . . . or pocketbook
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 01-25-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dave is right, On a properly built fiberglass boat ,water on the inside is not going to damage the hull shell, The internal structure needs looked at by someone with the trained “EYE” and replaced as needed, Now of course all two-part foam would need to go.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I climbed all over this boat about 8 or so years ago in Turbine's yard when a friend was looking for a 41 Apache and was loosely interested in the 47, but was out of his budget toe restore properly I knew it was there, and figured it didnt hurt to show it. At that time, the boat didnt look all that bad, I believe being out in the sun all that time did some damage, but like others have said, nothing that wouldnt get replaced in a full resto anyway. If I remember correctly, at the time when I looked at it, all guages were still in the boat, but for some reason had been removed from the dash, and were hanging by the wires behind the dash, I believe this was done to protect them. Also at that time boat showed no visible signs of being sunk, I poked around at the transom cutouts, and other holes where there was wood coring, and items were removed, didnt find any soft wood at that time. $25,000 may high, but considering the budget it is gonna take to bring it back to life, that would be the least of a potential buyers worries. I seem to recall John telling me at that time he had the engines, drives, etc, and the full interior stored idoors at his shop, but I am sure all that stuff is long gone by now.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I climbed in the boat a month ago its pretty rough. Water under the deck next to the stringers not sure how wet they are. Would take a couple years to do the job. I did pay for a survey on the boat.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sunkin has the resources to bring it back, and he's done four of them before! LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.