If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member VIP Member Bobthebuilder's Avatar
    My Boats:
    2009 Nor Tech 5000 Diesel; 2015 Statement 380 CC; 2014 32' Renegade
    Marco Island, FL; Waterloo, ON, CAN

The offshore community has lost a great friend, John Costello

I posted this yesterday in our FMO forum, however due to John's friendships in the wider offshore community, felt it appropriate to re post in “General Boating”.

It is with great sadness that I learned Tuesday morning of friend and FMO club member John Costello's passing. This past several months John has waged a courageous battle against cancer.
    John was just 57 years of age and left us far too soon. It was a priveledge to have John as a wonderful friend and he will be missed. Our deepest sympathies go out to his partner Jennifer and daughters Alexandra and Jenna.
    We would sometimes refer to him as “Big John”, not because of his size but because of his big heart. He was a big supporter of Ft Myers Offshore and he proudly displayed his FMO banner in his shop alongside his boats. John has been an avid offshore enthusiast for many years and was well known in the racing, poker run and offshore communities. He will be missed by us all.

Visitation at Hodges Funeral Home, 525 - 111th Ave; N ( Immokalee Rd ) Naples, FL 34108 from 5 till 8 PM Friday;
    Service at New Hope Ministries, 7675 Davis Blvd; (next to Pelican Larry's) Naples, FL 34104 at 2 PM Saturday

Link to John's obituary in the Naples Daily News:

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 01-26-2012 at 08:28 AM.

The Illustrious One Charter Member sean stinson's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Back on the dock!!!!!!!
    Internationally Famous
    I heard this from another gentleman last night my condolences to the family RIP
    Dying,....Is the day worth living for!!!!!!

My Boats:
    Every One In Sight
    John was a terrific guy and lots of fun to be around.
    This is a huge loss for our offshore community.

Before our New Years run he told me to "make sure I was ready" when he came by the pier--that he wanted a good roostertail shot of the MTI.

He loved this shot- when I delivered the prints to his house later in the week, he was walking around his living room-
    "Look at that! That roostertail is at least 200 feet long!" He was grinning from ear to ear.

I didn't realize it would be the last time I would see him.

He was kinda proud of the fact that he managed to break TWO blades off this prop.

Last edited by jayboat; 01-25-2012 at 09:50 AM.

Gold Member Gold Member Jason Johnson's Avatar
    I Voted
    RIP John

Platinum Member Platinum Member LaughingCat's Avatar
    My Boats:
    '00 Scarab Sport
    Tampa, FL
    RIP. Enjoyed hanging out with him.
    "I'm just looking for clues at the scene of the crime."

Gold Member Gold Member Keytime's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1999 Checkmate 283 Convincor
    Derby, KS

Correspondent Correspondent

My condolences to Mr. Costello's family and friends. Sounds like a man who will be missed.

VIP Member VIP Member
    Condolences and Prayers to the family and friends of John Costello. RIP "BIG JOHN".

Charter Member Charter Member Dean Ferry's Avatar
    My Boats:
    2006 Hustler 388, 2004 Hustler Talon 25, 1999 30 Spectre cat and 2007 21' hydrostream voyager w/ Merc. 225 EFI
    Merritt Is. Fl. USA
    Our condolences to Mr. Costello's family.
    Everything is for sale @ a certain $$

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast