If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Just wanted to say hello!

I am new to OSO and offshore performance boating and just wanted to say hello. My wife and I recently purchased a 1988 Switzer SS240 with an OMC 460 King Cobra. This is our 4th boat, the previous ones being ski boats and runabouts.

We typically purchase boats that require cosmetic restoration and this one is no exception and I enjoy reading of other OSO member's projects. Our goal is to have this one ready for the July long weekend (Canada Day up here in the North).

Any information anyone has regarding Switzer Craft boats would be great. I know they have a reputation for being very stable and good in rough water but that is about all I know.

My Boats:
    '88 Formula F-206 LS
    Kissimmee, Florida

New Hampshuu !!
    Welcome to the asylum......what size jacket do you wear ??? Just kidding . Good to have you aboard. Enjoy yourself

Platinum Member Platinum Member Zoom3's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1995 24' Outlaw
    Waltham, MA
    Welcome to the nuthouse !

I'm sure someone on the board has Switzer experience that could help you out.

My Boats:
    1986 Four Winns Liberator 241
    Lake St. Clair, Canada
    Woohoo, another Canuck! Welcome to OSO.

Platinum Member Platinum Member CigDaze's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Cigarette 35 Cafe Racer
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Welcome aboard!

Originally posted by catmando
    Good to have another Canuck, eh? Eh? here in Dallas, Switzer is a cuss word.
    I have been racking my brain trying to figure out what or where Switzer would fit as a cuss word

"What the Switzer do you think you are doing?"
    "Ah, Switzer it.."
    "Switzer? Damn near killed her!"

Thanks for the welcome.

Charter Member Charter Member ActiveThunderTodd's Avatar
    My Boats:
    '99 32' Active Thunder
    Roscoe, Illinois
    24Switzer, welcome to the board. I have to tell you I have a strong affinity to Switzer. I had an '88 with a 454-365 hp bravo. The thing ran almost 70. I somewhere around a 1000 hrs in that boat. It is very strong. The fit and finish needed some improvements but it was a very good boat.

Not sure who told you it was a good handling and rough water boat but thier are not completely correct on that one. Small to moderate chop on the order of no more than 3 is about all you'd want to take it out in. Otherwise it will just beat you to death. It has a sharp entry but somthing they called an s-configuration bottom design. The botom flattens out as you get near the stern. This design also made the thing quite squirrly to handle. Take it hard into a corner and it will start to slide and skip like a stone, then all of a sudden it will catch an outside chine and roll up hard to the outside. Once I got used to its handling quirks, it has been the most fun boat I have ever owned. I could almost drive that thing around a corner like a dirt track racer. Sliding the tail all the way around. Great fun. And you can seehow fast it was. Upper 60's with an old styled bravo and 365 hp. Imagine that thing with a 500 hp..WOW. Anyways I hope you hav much enjoyment out of your Switzer...I know I did from mine.

My Boats:
    1995 237 PQ Stryker
    Welcome aboard!!!

Member #9 Charter Member hp500efi's Avatar
    Pewaukee, WI
    Hello and welcome
    Member of the Liquid Jungle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast