Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wrinkleface
not B'n a cat person, what does the pod/no pod mean, do, etc??????? Thanx
NO Pod = Neutered.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Its amazing how much influence OSO has...........
Old 02-07-2012, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 2,970 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Its amazing how much influence OSO has...........
Don't kid yourself.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:00 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wrinkle, don't feel bad about your question... I own a Cat and I have no Idea what a Pod is either.... I see it in the pictures but... WTF IS A POD FOR????? WHAT ARE THE PROS AND CONS OF A POD???? Something I will definitely ask when I go to the Miami show...

Last edited by maxonmike; 02-08-2012 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Closer look at the pictures...
Old 02-08-2012, 04:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by maxonmike
Wrinkle, don't feel bad about your question... I own a Cat and I have no Idea what a Pod is either.... I see it in the pictures but... WTF IS A POD FOR????? WHAT ARE THE PROS AND CONS OF A POD???? Something I will definitely ask when I go to the Miami show...
Historically speaking, a true tunnel will have some speed the boat "hops / porpoises" at. They generally gotta power through it, or stay below it for a comfortable ride. There are mfg's that claim (read that as all of them) that there is zero porpoise at any speed. For the most part, let me set you straight.. they are full of ****.

Center Pod boats are generally don't hop at most speeds. There is little to no hop.. (this doesn't mean their aren't center pod boats out there that do it, just saying generally speaking). 2nd benefit to the pod is slower speed handling characteristics.. If it's a good pod boat, the boat is very docile at almost any speed. True Tunnels are not.. and are less forgiving

Downsides to the pod is Big Water. What we consider "Big" at Lake Havasu or other inland water ways isn't remotely close to some of the big water east coasters run in. The tunnels are shallow and fill up fast. True Cats have deeper tunnels then center pod boats, and the depth of the tunnel becomes crucial.

To talk tunnel depth for a second, It isn't 6 inches of tunnel = 6 inches of chop.. The depth of tunnel vs how big of water is almost exponential. Every inch counts, and inches can add up to feet of chop that a boat can soak up. This is going to get into a very long conversation about tunnel compression (lifting the boat out of the water), aerodynamic vs hydrodynamic lift and a whole bunch of stuff I'm certainly not qualified to talk about.. LOL

Pod Boats = docile, little to no porpouse
True Tunnel = Big Water (claimed faster, but let me save you the suspense it's BS, HP to HP they run the same if anything certain Pods run better)

Pod guys will argue theirs turn better. I'm inclined to believe (after taking Tres's course and talking to him about it, and not just taking his word for it, but understanding the theory behind it) that True Tunnels will probably turn harder if you know how to drive them. I've driven plenty of Pod boats, but am almost embarrassed to admit, no experience driving in a true tunnel.

One BIG upside to a pod is you can run a single stern drive..

Finally the thing that is so dumb about the whole argument.. Most center pod boats from the west coast actually get their Heritage from what's called a 25 Talon. Now made from an East Coat mfg Hustler. If it's 28' and below you can bet and be right 90% of the time it's a direct Talon splash or what is called a "derivative." (direct Talon splash.. LOL) Even a lot of the scaled up (28+) Center Pod boats you can see remarkable similarities to the Talon design.

I've said about as much as I can say on the bottle, or throttle depending on how ya look at it, without getting myself in trouble. LOL

Sorry for the scattered post, I've been drinking in the garage tonight while working on a buddies Rhino. .

RD

Last edited by RiverDave; 02-08-2012 at 04:46 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:18 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Good explanation Dave. Looks like they will have a lot of work and testing before they finalize their design. I am biased but I expect a great product. Proof as always will be on performance in the water. It will be interesting to see the difference in handling characteristics between essentially the same boat with and without centerpod design. The performance industry will learn something from this. There are always tradeoffs for design aspects, the key will be producing what the customer is willing to shell out money to pay for.
If you look at the most prestigious performance boating events today, I would say Desert Storm, LOTO Shootout, maybe Jacksonville Run to Bridge, they are not big water events. Most of the customers who will buy this boat will be happy with one that can run at the top of these events.

Last edited by SkiDoc; 02-08-2012 at 06:30 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:19 AM
Registered

Dcb is a first class no matter what they produce. They put together one of the best boats period. If you have seen one in person you would agree.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:02 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

River Dave... Thanks for the post.... It was informative and gave me some much needed in site into what a pod is all about.... Anyone looking to buy a 36 Nortech.... That new 41 DCB looks very interesting....
Old 02-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RiverDave
Historically speaking, a true tunnel will have some speed the boat "hops / porpoises" at. They generally gotta power through it, or stay below it for a comfortable ride. There are mfg's that claim (read that as all of them) that there is zero porpoise at any speed. For the most part, let me set you straight.. they are full of ****.

Center Pod boats are generally don't hop at most speeds. There is little to no hop.. (this doesn't mean their aren't center pod boats out there that do it, just saying generally speaking). 2nd benefit to the pod is slower speed handling characteristics.. If it's a good pod boat, the boat is very docile at almost any speed. True Tunnels are not.. and are less forgiving

Downsides to the pod is Big Water. What we consider "Big" at Lake Havasu or other inland water ways isn't remotely close to some of the big water east coasters run in. The tunnels are shallow and fill up fast. True Cats have deeper tunnels then center pod boats, and the depth of the tunnel becomes crucial.

To talk tunnel depth for a second, It isn't 6 inches of tunnel = 6 inches of chop.. The depth of tunnel vs how big of water is almost exponential. Every inch counts, and inches can add up to feet of chop that a boat can soak up. This is going to get into a very long conversation about tunnel compression (lifting the boat out of the water), aerodynamic vs hydrodynamic lift and a whole bunch of stuff I'm certainly not qualified to talk about.. LOL

Pod Boats = docile, little to no porpouse
True Tunnel = Big Water (claimed faster, but let me save you the suspense it's BS, HP to HP they run the same if anything certain Pods run better)

Pod guys will argue theirs turn better. I'm inclined to believe (after taking Tres's course and talking to him about it, and not just taking his word for it, but understanding the theory behind it) that True Tunnels will probably turn harder if you know how to drive them. I've driven plenty of Pod boats, but am almost embarrassed to admit, no experience driving in a true tunnel.

One BIG upside to a pod is you can run a single stern drive..

Finally the thing that is so dumb about the whole argument.. Most center pod boats from the west coast actually get their Heritage from what's called a 25 Talon. Now made from an East Coat mfg Hustler. If it's 28' and below you can bet and be right 90% of the time it's a direct Talon splash or what is called a "derivative." (direct Talon splash.. LOL) Even a lot of the scaled up (28+) Center Pod boats you can see remarkable similarities to the Talon design.

I've said about as much as I can say on the bottle, or throttle depending on how ya look at it, without getting myself in trouble. LOL

Sorry for the scattered post, I've been drinking in the garage tonight while working on a buddies Rhino. .

RD
Thanx Dude!!
Old 02-08-2012, 01:24 PM
Registered

No worries.. glad I could help out.

RD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.