Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
3 months after Key West; What has been done? >

3 months after Key West; What has been done?

Notices

3 months after Key West; What has been done?

Old 02-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
GEICO has offered safety inspection services.
http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...aluations.html

I do however recommend the Offshore Racing bodies to take notes and/or procure consulting services from organizations such as Indy. Indy, Nascar etc. is big business, don't reinvent the wheel, learn from them. My $.02.
Excellent. Very positive, but why does a sponsor have to do the job?
Old 02-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

C Spray,

I will not speak for SBI, however being an active racer in their organization for 10 years now(primarily run OPA now), they handle things privately and not on a forum. They will notify the racers as soon as the investigation is completed with the changes if any are applicable.

That being said, I see that you have a 382, what mandates have you personally done safety wise to your boat, knowing that the particular model has taken the lives of 2 racers since 2003 and was involved in one of the nastiest accidents I have ever seen in KW turn 1(2010)?
Old 02-08-2012, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F1-00 Racing
C Spray,

I will not speak for SBI, however being an active racer in their organization for 10 years now(primarily run OPA now), they handle things privately and not on a forum. They will notify the racers as soon as the investigation is completed with the changes if any are applicable.

That being said, I see that you have a 382, what mandates have you personally done safety wise to your boat, knowing that the particular model has taken the lives of 2 racers since 2003 and was involved in one of the nastiest accidents I have ever seen in KW turn 1(2010)?
Wow......

Hey Chuck, I didn't know you raced your 382.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:38 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

C Spray,

Any truely accountable organization operates openly and transparently; look at IndyCar - they've gotten it done. With only two months to go, SBI (and the others) had better get going. How do they expect teams to make the changes?

What does that have to do with SBI? If want to challenge my credentials regarding safety, I strongly suggest you do some research on me first and then do so on another thread, rather than deflect the issue with personal assaults.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:46 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C Spray,

I truly hope that your blind faith in SBI's leadership does not kill you. And if Chuck was racing or part of a racing organization I am sure he would do it right or not do it. All the best buddy!
Old 02-08-2012, 07:35 PM
Registered

Ted,

no blind faith at all as I hold myself accountable for my life, not SBI, OPA, or any other letters that float around at this point. If I dont put the common sense tools and/or safety equipment on my own boat, knowing the risks, then shame on me...I am not one to try and place blame. I go in and sign the waivers and I go and race. I mean its kinda like me saying that since it has rained in Solomons the past two years, that its Mike and yours fault. I also dont question how Poker Runs run their operation as well it doesnt really concern me, just as it should be the RACERS questioning this, not someone with too much time on their hands and nothing else to do. This isnt Nascar, this certainly isnt Indy-car, if you dont like it then dont race, your choice. JC nor Smitty has never held a gun to my head and MADE me race, I do it on my own choice and accord. Did I ever say I am going running back to SBI races with what has transpired? umm no, but I am keeping my eyes and ears open to see what if any changes are made and if I agree to them then I will register my team and go race with them, if not oh well I dont have to race to survive, I guess I could sit here on the boards and Monday morning quarterback everything to death......

Trent
Old 02-08-2012, 07:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by RiverDave
Not to play devils advocate here.. But you do realize the budget differences between both types of racing and the sanctioning bodies?

I am curious what would you have them do?

RD
That is an interesting assumption. But when you think about it, NASCAR vehicles really only cost about $50-80K to make. Race wining cars are $100K. So when you look at the cost of most of the boats from class 5 up exceed that. Granted the sanctioning body is smaller and less funded than NASCAR but safety features are simple, mandatory and work pretty well in those cars. Just because it is a boat doesnt necessarily mean it is outrageously expensive. Most boats already paid to play. What is another $5K for safety features/equipment.

When I saw NASCAR I assumed its a car... But really they just have foam, a Hans device, a very specific roll cage and a certified helmet.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by C_Spray
personal assaults.
None made nor none intended, just as you a non-racer asking racing related questions, I am just a racer that was very curious as to what mandates you made to your 382 as to better give me insight. I am sure Ted can fill you in on the boat I have raced the past two years........ Sorry you construe it as attacks, I guess I should start another thread directed towards you inquiring about this issue
Old 02-08-2012, 08:25 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

... just as it should be the RACERS questioning this, not someone with too much time on their hands and nothing else to do...I guess I could sit here on the boards and Monday morning quarterback everything to death......

Trent
Trent, I respect your right to determine your own destiny, and hope that you do take your safety seriously. The problem is that it is not in every racer's mentality to do so. That's why there are rules and procedures which must be enforced.

I am not an active boat racer, but I do have some close friends in the industry. I have enormous respect for all of them, and want to be able to watch them race in a properly conducted and supported event. I've done a lot in auto racing, and I know that the basic principles of safety and organization carry over to all forms of motorsport.

From what I have seen, there are miles to go on the safety front in boat racing. When there are tragedies like Key West, the response from the organizers and participants should be to investigate, learn, and improve. There is no admission of guilt in making improvements; only the confirmation that safety is considered a serious matter.

Twenty-five years ago, a group of very serious and intelligent people got together and created the Lavin Guidelines in response to a tragedy. My copy is well-used; I find it to be a fascinating and well thought-out document. I would dare say that, after all this time, most racers don't even possess a copy, much less know or enforce the recommendations.

Bottom line? I'm a paying spectator and fan of the sport. It deserves better than it's getting, and if my standing up and asking questions moves it forward, then so be it. Nothing will improve if no changes are made.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 136 Likes on 81 Posts

With all the talk about stricter guidelines and rule changes etc. You can not compare any sport to boat racing. There are too many variables, one being salt water compared to fresh water. Your chances of surviving a fresh water drowning compared to salt is HUGE. People die just from the effects of salt in there lungs. I am sick about what happened in Nov and I never want to see that happen again...but I personally think you could have changed it. This does hit home hard I have caught the stick in KeyWest and almost went swimming more than once.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.