Notices

Poker Run Question

Old 06-17-2002, 04:33 PM
kwb
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Poker Run Question

Last weekend I ran in the Dick Simon Poker Run with approx. 60 other boats. It was a great time but I feel like I was jipped. Like everyone else I ran hard over the long course (60-70 miles) in rough seas at times but still averaged 80mph. I was the first boat at every card stop and first to finish.

At the awards ceremony there was no mention or award for my efforts and accomplishment. Is this normal for a Poker Run? I realize it “Is Not a Race” – but come on. They gave several awards (best dressed crew, best looking boat, biggest blooper, other BS awards…) but nothing for the first place finisher.

Is this normal for a Poker Run?
Old 06-17-2002, 04:40 PM
Registered

well kwb, from the 7 i have been in it has been the same case.
Old 06-17-2002, 04:42 PM
Registered

Ive never seen a prize for the first place finisher. The only Poker Run I am aware of that has any speed mentions is the NYC. Jet Set got king of the Hudson at 172mph, he was the first to the Tapanzee. Actually we spectated the run and he was a good 30 minutes ahead of the next closest guy on the return trip.
I wouldnt say you got nothing out of it, Im sure your crew got bragging rights at the bar. And look you get to tell all your OSO friends
Old 06-17-2002, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are many reasons that most poker runs can't /won't encourage the fastest boat thing .... Liability/safety of participants being on top of the list.... If they push it and someone gets hurt, guess who will catch the heat.....

JM
Old 06-17-2002, 06:37 PM
kwb
Registered

Default A picture of the first place boat

Some good points guys.....
Attached Thumbnails Poker Run Question-dsmb.jpg  
Old 06-17-2002, 06:48 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Ken,

Sounds like you had a killer day ... I wish I had been out there with you. They may not have recognized you at the awards ceremony ... but, I'll bet their watches are set properly, because I think you cleaned there clocks and showed them what time it really is.

Let's Roll

G
Old 06-17-2002, 06:53 PM
kwb
Registered

Hey G-

Bro when we got back to Dana Point the card boat wasn't even in place yet!!!! We had to go into the Dana Point Marina and get them - they were shocked to say the least!!! The whole course took us about an hour and 10 minutes!
Old 06-17-2002, 06:56 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Old 06-17-2002, 07:01 PM
HavasuCat

We had the same problem with the card boat...Scott was on the cell phone calling Dick asking where they were at (they were eating lunch). I was running around outside the harbor with the sailboats looking for them. We finally just went into the harbor and found them. Dick said he did not expect us to be back that quick.

There should be some good footage of your Tiger from the helicopter, You were getting some good air from our vantage point as they were over you.

Old 06-17-2002, 07:29 PM
Registered

The biggest disappointment for me in a poker run (other than a crappy hand) is the lack of an organized start.
To me, that IS the excitment of the run , all the boats runnning hard together .. it's just awesome.
The few runs that I've been in just had a somewhat organized start at the begining but after that it was anything goes. We ended up telling everyone to just hang and start together.

Quick Reply: Poker Run Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.