Notices

teak wood ????

Old 02-14-2012, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default teak wood ????

hey guys
i have some teak trim on my boat that needs to be reoiled.
will the oil harm the paint on the boat?? i have trim that runs from windsheild to bow and its screwed down from the bottom side want to address this before i install the new headliner in it also have a swim deck
ive never done it before what you guys recomend product wise and procedure wise.. thanks JASON
Old 02-15-2012, 08:48 AM
Charter Member # 302
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Transmission fluid works just fine on Teak, I have seen New Boat Mfrs use it. Any oil you use probably won't hurt the paint, But some of the Acid washes may (if your gonna go that far) otherwise a light sanding and some tranny fluid and it'll be good for another year or so...
Old 02-15-2012, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had lot's of teak on Carver cruisers over 20 yrs ago including a 1973 31' wood hull. I used the teak oils until a friend recommended this

http://www.allguardproducts.com/

It is a water based treatment that looks great and will last the entire season in WI. Easy to apply and you won't have to re-apply for that fresh look every month. Teak wood has natural oils already and this acts kind of more like a "sealer". Try it-good stuff.

Also there is a similiar product out there, may be the same stuff but I always used the original and never tried this

http://www.teakguard.com/teakguard3.html