Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Gratton Lawsuit Filed (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/270590-gratton-lawsuit-filed.html)

Catastrophe 02-15-2012 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by boatme (Post 3617994)
This is true. My opinion is it is just plain wrong. But you are correct it is the family's right (Did i just agree with cat?) LOL

It is just unfortunate that thsi is chipping away at sponsors and the sport in general

No, I agree with you that it is going to chip away......no doubt.

That would have happened somewhat suit or no suit I think.

I foresee this hurting Poker Runs more than racing in the end.

KWright 02-15-2012 07:20 AM

I used to drag race in the 80's. Held a Pro Stock licence in both NHRA and IHRA. As a racer I saw allot of situations good and bad. But the final call to put that car down the track was mine and mine alone even though sometimes you knew the situation was less than desireable. But as the racer the call was mine. That being said my question is who decided to push that boat so fast that day in less than desireable conditions to make it flip like that? Just my .02 IN racing there are no gaurentees. parts are modifided beyond safe standards, pushed to limits beyond thier capacity, and all done in places where safty is less than desireable, that is what fuels the racer the thrill taking the chance. And the chance you take is with your life. Its sad what happened but I'm sure they were all very smart men and knew just what they were getting into, but it was a choise they made of their own free will.

boatme 02-15-2012 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by ActiveThunder (Post 3617747)
Perfect.

I call bull ****. Take the risk and make sure your family is covered before you do it.

Marc, you explain about my kid, doctors, misdiagnosis and cancer with a 14 year old and no law suit brought.

They are human. Doctors, racers, school crossing guards. Mistakes are made.

Point the finger at me if I die on a poker run or simply testing a boat for speed shame on me.

Stop the suit. It is greed.

Pretty much said it all

KWright 02-15-2012 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Ted G (Post 3617946)
Doesn't it strike you odd that a lot of people who are actually participating in or facilitating offshore racing in this country are for this lawsuit? Does it dawn on you that maybe we know a little more about what has gone on and would like to see it stopped once and for all? Even though the possibility exists that it could damage the sport which we collectively have worked on for years? I mean it's nice to hear from guys that raced decades ago, and it's awesome to hear from poker run promoters and participants, input from all sides is super. But please, pay attention to who is defending (for what reason I have no idea, since this is gonna happen and things will get sorted out) this lawsuit and maybe, just maybe stop knee jerking that lawsuits are bad and let this happen. If it clears SBI, yippee, if not and SBI folds, then Karma is a b!tch. As for the "sh!t happens" defense, yes it does, but if some cheap bastard won't pay for a 4" pipe the sh!t ends up in your basement, where it can kill you :poopoo:

If SBI doesnt meet your safety standards. all get together form a group and dont race their events until safety measures are put in place. Racing in their events is saying that what their offering meets your standards. why would that be any different today than decades ago.

Nauti Kitty 02-15-2012 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by boatme (Post 3617993)
Contrary to Phantoms statement there are many similarities to our accident (yea it was a poker run not a race) and in the end the settlement was over 8 million dollars and none of that money went to make poker runs safer. .

In fact it eliminated a poker run (and all the charity it produced over a long period of time) just like this will eliminate boat racing in Key West and everyone with an agenda against SBI will no longer have to worry about safety cause there will be no need for safety sitting at home. That is till a drunk runs into their house and someone sues Budwieser

NK

Nauti Kitty 02-15-2012 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by KWright (Post 3618058)
I used to drag race in the 80's. Held a Pro Stock licence in both NHRA and IHRA. As a racer I saw allot of situations good and bad. But the final call to put that car down the track was mine and mine alone even though sometimes you knew the situation was less than desireable. But as the racer the call was mine. That being said my question is who decided to push that boat so fast that day in less than desireable conditions to make it flip like that? Just my .02 IN racing there are no gaurentees. parts are modifided beyond safe standards, pushed to limits beyond thier capacity, and all done in places where safty is less than desireable, that is what fuels the racer the thrill taking the chance. And the chance you take is with your life. Its sad what happened but I'm sure they were all very smart men and knew just what they were getting into, but it was a choise they made of their own free will.

Amen to this quote.

NK

Panther 02-15-2012 08:59 AM

There's one common theme; everyone not in agreement on the suite keeps pointing the finger at SBI.

Is it SBI, the racers, pit-crew, team owner, a sum of all parts? No one really knows the answer to this and it's all just BS rumors and speculation on the internet.

Interceptor 02-15-2012 09:06 AM

http://www.autoracing1.com/MarkC/001119Lawsuits.htm

A very good read on racing lawsuits. Also all the experts should also quit stating their opinions as fact.

brivander 02-15-2012 09:20 AM

Official, this thread is dumber the second time. It's like watching my kids argue over who is right. Except when they don't know, they don't make something up.