Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C_Spray
Repeat....
Old 02-14-2012, 03:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Smarty
Florida attorneys as well as attorneys in New Jersey are not permitted to make a phone call to an accident victim(s), or the the family of an accident victim. Written communication is permitted in Florida after 30 days have passed since the accident, "In addition, if the written communication concerns an action relating to an accident or disaster involving the recipient or a relative of the recipient, the communication may not be sent until 30 days after the accident or disaster."[/B]

The family calls the attorney, that is how it works. Attorneys are not ambulance chasers as some people may want to portray them. The attorneys that do try to solicit via phone and or violate the rules of ethics will get disbarred or sanctioned, plain and simple.

Hope that clears up the speculation.
Gotcha,

That may be true,

BUT Both the attorney, and the family were involved with boat racing, and reside relatively close to each other, they may have been friends for all I know. I dont think it is coincidence that the one attorney they picked out of the yellow pages happened to be be a former boat racer, APBA rep, and not a huge SBI fan. Was it more than 30 days from the time the accident happened until this attorney got involved? I am not sticking up for either side, and really don't care, it is the family's right to sue if they want, just tryin' to make sure nobody is speculating on who convinced who to sue without the facts.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Smarty
Defendants in criminal cases are fee based (flat fees), or by the hour. That is how I practice.

Personal injury and wrongful death typically are the 33% of the recovery based fee. I do not practice PI work.

I cannot, and do not guarantee outcomes for criminal cases. The discovery will drive the level of guilt or innocence. It is not as much of a mystery, regarding the outcome/verdict, as some may think.

Liberty is at stake in criminal proceedings. In the wrongful death suit a life was lost, but the only outcome for the court to determine in the end is who is at fault, and what is just compensation for the death.

I am for the family in filing, forget the money, they want answers, and this is the only real method of the getting to the who, what, when, where, how and why their loved one died. I am for the process, the end of money in this suit is not the ultimate goal. I could be entirely wrong, but you asked, I answered.

Stephen
Thanks for the responce
Old 02-14-2012, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boatme
Having the right and actually doing it are two differnt things Do I think she has the right? YEP Do I think she should sue ? NOPE
Your wife (or daughter) isn't dead because an ORG might have been negligent. You might think differently on the other side of the equation.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Your wife (or daughter) isn't dead because an ORG might have been negligent. You might think differently on the other side of the equation.
I do not think so

Money will not bring them back
I might fight for change, and press to raise money for needed equiptment, but i would NOT sue for MONEY

Beside we are talking about a race that has higher risk, and the participants are aware of the risk and choose to race based on that fact. If somone is not happy with the race standards then they should not put themselfs in harms way

Not sure why and example of my wife (dont have one) or my daughter (do not have one of those either ) has any relevance it isnt even in the same arena for an example
Old 02-14-2012, 04:53 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 585 Likes on 269 Posts

Just out of couriousity being as Racing was involved.
Did the family of the Indy driver that crashed and died file suit ?
Old 02-14-2012, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not think so

I might fight for change, and press to raise money for needed equiptment, but i would NOT sue for MONEY

Beside we are talking about a race that has higher risk, and the participants are aware of the risk and choose to race based on that fact. If somone is not happy with the race standards then they should not put themselfs in harms way

Not sure why and example of my wife (dont have one) or my daughter (do not have one of those either ) has any relevance it isnt even in the same arena for an example
Because you keep saying sueing will not bring back a "loved one". EVERYONE knows that. Okay.....so you don't have either of those so you may not understand? If SBI screwed up and killed your.......never mind. You haven't lost someone like this person has. They claim to want to make change. We'll see. If SBI goes down due to this......so be it. Race standards? What if SBI says the race and support level is standard is 999, and it is only provided at 333?
Old 02-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I am for the family in filing, forget the money, they want answers, and this is the only real method of the getting to the who, what, when, where, how and why their loved one died. I am for the process, the end of money in this suit is not the ultimate goal. I could be entirely wrong, but you asked, I answered.

Smarty, I am +1 for your answer here!

I agree that people sue to much in this country and most of the time for all the wrong reasons. As an event promoter we insure to the max and cover anyone involved with the event in anyway shape or form. My family is even named on the insurance to protect them. People die in extreme sports and I agree its a face of life. In this case I do think it was a unnecessary death. You cannot take someone to court and say why did they die and for what reason. At least I don't think you can. People need to be held accountable for actions taking leading up to the death. I believe and hope that's what the case is here.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I do not think so

How much risk can you take out of a race where machines are going 150mph on an unpredictable track like water?
Everything is risk, every breath you take is a better chance of getting a heart attack or getting cancer. Everytime you leave your driveway you could die, should we sue the state because they built the roads. Participating in a race is a voluntary action not mandatory and not something you need to sustain life. You can not take risk out of everything and taking risk out of things can only go so far. Whats next taking risk out of combat, lets sue the ammo makers for every soldier that dies. No its a part of life. Do we sue the store for selling alcohol to somebody who then DUI's and kills? This behavior has to stop all it does it raise insurance premiums and puts more laws in place for the rest of us.

Like others have said use the money to make awareness, create better safety products, and educate people. Or use money to create schoarships to educate people. With that said I hope the case gets thrown out.

Last edited by soldier4402; 02-14-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Because you keep saying sueing will not bring back a "loved one". EVERYONE knows that. Okay.....so you don't have either of those so you may not understand? If SBI screwed up and killed your.......never mind. You haven't lost someone like this person has. They claim to want to make change. We'll see. If SBI goes down due to this......so be it. Race standards? What if SBI says the race and support level is standard is 999, and it is only provided at 333?
I do have a son and yes I've lost people close to me

I will say it again I would fight for change not for money
these LAW SUITs are always about money and at the end they do not donate the money to a cause that helps to solve the problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.