Notices

Gratton Lawsuit Filed

Old 02-15-2012, 04:38 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Downtown42
With all due NO respect to you, I call Bull chit.

You are something else.
Well i can only suspect since it hasnt happend wher i had a loved one effected that i would have to consider a suit but Active Pat has and he has taken the high road so I will defer to him on this HE had a case and DID NOT SUE Not everyone thinks about a free ride
Old 02-15-2012, 04:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
may i ask how you know that?
Yes you can ask

I got calls from participants and local law informent that were telling me that they got a cal from (place name here), that they were calling for "Information" regaurding the accident.

I recognized a few of the names that they shared
Old 02-15-2012, 04:43 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Doesn't really matter what this person would do or that person would do, whether it be for large money or no money,this family has made its decision to proceed as is their right.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ted G
Doesn't it strike you odd that a lot of people who are actually participating in or facilitating offshore racing in this country are for this lawsuit? Does it dawn on you that maybe we know a little more about what has gone on and would like to see it stopped once and for all? Even though the possibility exists that it could damage the sport which we collectively have worked on for years? I mean it's nice to hear from guys that raced decades ago, and it's awesome to hear from poker run promoters and participants, input from all sides is super. But please, pay attention to who is defending (for what reason I have no idea, since this is gonna happen and things will get sorted out) this lawsuit and maybe, just maybe stop knee jerking that lawsuits are bad and let this happen. If it clears SBI, yippee, if not and SBI folds, then Karma is a b!tch. As for the "sh!t happens" defense, yes it does, but if some cheap bastard won't pay for a 4" pipe the sh!t ends up in your basement, where it can kill you

Seems to me your agenda is with SBI and not with racing

I am sure we can find as many racers that are NOT interested in the suit going forward. They are having a meeting in Miami this week with racers and promoters to see what can be done going forward (Ted are you going to this) This is about solutions not about suing

Contrary to Phantoms statement there are many similarities to our accident (yea it was a poker run not a race) and in the end the settlement was over 8 million dollars and none of that money went to make poker runs safer. I attended a number of meetings in Florida with participants, racers and promoters trying to make our events safer. I am not sure enough was resolved and I know that PRA is still holding the annual meetings.

I will continue to say it. Change will come from the racers and promoters working for change and making the sport better, not from lawyers suing, especialy sponsors of an event. Tell me how that is making the sport better

By the way I not only promoted poker runs but I put on a couple of boat races as well, and my ex wife was a risk manager for the APBA Silver Cup Series back in the day. I know about the safety standards and how some times they are overlooked or ignored and they continued to need to be managed in order to remain safe

If you want answers then work with local law enforcement and Coast guard. Trust me this lawsuit will only bring change to a few peoples bank accounts Hopefully the heighten awareness will now get some things changed by those directly involved in the sport not by people looking for money

Last edited by boatme; 02-15-2012 at 05:06 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by catastrophe
Doesn't really matter what this person would do or that person would do, whether it be for large money or no money,this family has made its decision to proceed as is their right.
This is true. My opinion is it is just plain wrong. But you are correct it is the family's right (Did i just agree with cat?) LOL

It is just unfortunate that thsi is chipping away at sponsors and the sport in general
Old 02-15-2012, 05:19 AM
Registered

This will piss everyone off but I would submit. Who is holding the family responsible for letting there family member race? (If we are going to hold everyone responsible)I asked this question in a deposition meeting and got a glazed over look from a room of lawyers in our law suit.

If the suspicion is that the organization has been running things sub standard then why are you letting your loved one race? Oh yea because that is what he loved to do !!! Well then, they knew the risk, signed a waiver and went racing end of story! Work at a better sport using lessons learned.

Remember Jack Carmody? When Jack died change came to canopy boat regulations sad it took his death but many changes happened after that. It did not totally solve the problem but helped.

This should be discussion about how to get better at the sport I am done arguing I have had my say and some agree and some do not. We can guess all day but apparently a suit is initiated and we will see the fall out in the future. God bless our friends who have perished and I hope we have learned and make things better going forward
Old 02-15-2012, 07:02 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by boatme
This is true. My opinion is it is just plain wrong. But you are correct it is the family's right (Did i just agree with cat?) LOL

It is just unfortunate that thsi is chipping away at sponsors and the sport in general
No, I agree with you that it is going to chip away......no doubt.

That would have happened somewhat suit or no suit I think.

I foresee this hurting Poker Runs more than racing in the end.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:20 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 276 Likes on 112 Posts

I used to drag race in the 80's. Held a Pro Stock licence in both NHRA and IHRA. As a racer I saw allot of situations good and bad. But the final call to put that car down the track was mine and mine alone even though sometimes you knew the situation was less than desireable. But as the racer the call was mine. That being said my question is who decided to push that boat so fast that day in less than desireable conditions to make it flip like that? Just my .02 IN racing there are no gaurentees. parts are modifided beyond safe standards, pushed to limits beyond thier capacity, and all done in places where safty is less than desireable, that is what fuels the racer the thrill taking the chance. And the chance you take is with your life. Its sad what happened but I'm sure they were all very smart men and knew just what they were getting into, but it was a choise they made of their own free will.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ActiveThunder
Perfect.

I call bull ****. Take the risk and make sure your family is covered before you do it.

Marc, you explain about my kid, doctors, misdiagnosis and cancer with a 14 year old and no law suit brought.

They are human. Doctors, racers, school crossing guards. Mistakes are made.

Point the finger at me if I die on a poker run or simply testing a boat for speed shame on me.

Stop the suit. It is greed.
Pretty much said it all
Old 02-15-2012, 08:07 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 276 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Ted G
Doesn't it strike you odd that a lot of people who are actually participating in or facilitating offshore racing in this country are for this lawsuit? Does it dawn on you that maybe we know a little more about what has gone on and would like to see it stopped once and for all? Even though the possibility exists that it could damage the sport which we collectively have worked on for years? I mean it's nice to hear from guys that raced decades ago, and it's awesome to hear from poker run promoters and participants, input from all sides is super. But please, pay attention to who is defending (for what reason I have no idea, since this is gonna happen and things will get sorted out) this lawsuit and maybe, just maybe stop knee jerking that lawsuits are bad and let this happen. If it clears SBI, yippee, if not and SBI folds, then Karma is a b!tch. As for the "sh!t happens" defense, yes it does, but if some cheap bastard won't pay for a 4" pipe the sh!t ends up in your basement, where it can kill you
If SBI doesnt meet your safety standards. all get together form a group and dont race their events until safety measures are put in place. Racing in their events is saying that what their offering meets your standards. why would that be any different today than decades ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.