Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   just heard 5 gas by memoial day , (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/270614-just-heard-5-gas-memoial-day.html)

GTOFFSHORE 02-16-2012 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry (Post 3618936)
PNR,
Just to clarify what you are saying here, that 89 octane at the pump is actually 91 octane? I'm confused!:lolhit:
thanks,
Dean

Yep testing has shown that even the small mom and pops has is 2pts higher than labeled. What's shown on the pump is the min. number not actual. Its done as a fudge factor against standards. The label says it must test at min of 89 make it 91 it will always pass when the state does their random tests. Either that or protection against product liability.
But it is a known that it's 2pts higher. Its been tested many times and can be seen in state to state testing.
I wouldnt start not using 93 bEc I know this. My motor was dynoed with 93 so that wld be 95. Yes I could run 91 but why? If I was only able to get it sure but I would keep it easy until I could get 93 or mix in a lot of toulene.

phughes69 02-16-2012 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Rippem (Post 3616931)
I think the big objective is to condition us over a term
I mean there is nothing to support the 3.50 price either, but we are paying it
why?
we are getting conditioned to think that's acceptable regardless of the real cost

+1
hit the nail on the head

phughes69 02-16-2012 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by precisiondetails (Post 3617058)
Fight Terrorism shoot a democrat!!!

:Score-101010:

Raylar 02-16-2012 12:09 PM

How did we get here??

I had some conversations years ago with some inside pretty savy gasoline refinery, distribution and independent gasoline sales companies. Thye enlightened me to the fact that back then the big gasoline manufacturers and distributors, ie: Exon, BP(Arco), Mobile, Chevron, Shell, etc. hada very big ephiney. If we choke out, buy out, squeeze out and close the independants we will be able down the road (future - NOW) the tightly control the prices consumers pay for gasoline and we will then never have to worry about any of the independants or others setting up CO-OPs for gasoline refining, distribution and sales! we all watched them disappear and we did not realize or think then it was important enough to worry about or take action to stop these types of monoplistic market manipulations. Our fine elected officials turned a blind eye and so did the fair trade practices officials and WhoLA ! Here we are now with a very tight and perfectly in unison group of fuel PROVIDERS who have total control of oil and fuels from the well head to the PUMP!
No chance for the implementation of any other competitive relief! I think that pretty much qualifies for a monopoly on a product and I was always told and led to believe that is against the Laws in the USA??? This group of well healed comapnies bullsh*t excuses and reasons for the cost oil and fuel being where it is now are nothing more than the controls they have and put in place at any given time they choose! The real TRUTH now is they put and keep all the costs and factors where THEY want them and we pay for the single highest unit costing consumer staple that exisits and their profit and controls are guaranteed! Nice business if you could have one EH!
We as consumers have many times in our history have been FAT, DUMB & STUPID. When these actions were being taken back in the 60's, 70' & 80"s we as consumers were "ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL" and we were silly enough to think that our "Government" would look out for our interests as we paid for and expected, HA!
Well Boy & Girls, thats where we are at now and I am not sure there is a solution, but I can sumize that if these FAT CATS arn't very carefull in todays economy they just might "KILL THE GOOSE THAT LAID THE GOLDEN EGG OF OUR US ECONOMY" and shoot themselves in the foot during the process!
As I have said many times with many others, when gasoline and diesel here in the US goes over $4.50-$5.00 a gallon LOOK OUT, the downhill train wreck could be a fast and precipitous fall! THIS IS ONE OF THE FEW TIMES IN MY LIFE WHERE I HOPE I AM WRONG!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Indy 02-17-2012 06:41 AM

Amazing how they jacked prices on us at the beginning of the "heating season" as winter approached, but it's been the warmest on record for the most part but nowhere do I here any of the hedge funders telling us the price is going down since we didn't burn sh!t this past winters.

Oh, and they are already telling us how hard the upcoming driving season will be and prices will be hovering around $5.00.

And guess what...we'll pay it, we have no choice or alternative and that's why they have us by the balls...period.

CrownHawg 02-17-2012 07:30 AM

They say on the news that the "Summer blended" fuels will jack up the cost. But WAIT! Just a few months ago, they were saying that the "Winter blended" fuels were the reason prices were going up!?! These guys know the public will swallow any line they give us, and LIKE it! The current administration has stated many times "We'll make gas prices so high, our GREEN technology will become affordable". That's like saying "Well, right now they can't afford a Ferrari, but if we jack up the price of a Ford Taurus, then they will be able to afford it"!!!

glassdave 02-17-2012 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by CrownHawg (Post 3619932)
They say on the news that the "Summer blended" fuels will jack up the cost. But WAIT! Just a few months ago, they were saying that the "Winter blended" fuels were the reason prices were going up!?! These guys know the public will swallow any line they give us, and LIKE it! The current administration has stated many times "We'll make gas prices so high, our GREEN technology will become affordable". That's like saying "Well, right now they can't afford a Ferrari, but if we jack up the price of a Ford Taurus, then they will be able to afford it"!!!

actually its more like having the Ford Taurus ridiculously over priced and the Ferrari bargain priced then jacking up the Ferarri price so the crapy Taurus seems like a great deal. I am beginning to have the same respect for people in marketing as i do for lawyers :D

CrownHawg 02-17-2012 07:54 AM

Well, it's not like they are really making the Ferrari "affordable". They are just making it so we can't afford EITHER! When Al Gore stated "Everyone just needs to go out and buy a Prius or Volt to be green" he wouldn't admit that the average Joe just can't go out and buy a $50K car, he can barely afford the 10yr old beater he's driving now! He made this statement right before he jumped in one of his 5 corporate jets and burned more fuel in one day than most of us do in an entire boating season!

EagleXP 02-17-2012 09:17 PM

Bunch of gasoholics *****ing, sell your boat and buy a freaking jet ski or shut up.