Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Mercury Racing Unveils 565 Engine with Digital Throttle and Shift (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/270786-mercury-racing-unveils-565-engine-digital-throttle-shift.html)

A.O. Razor 02-17-2012 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by breakitout (Post 3619840)
Ever owned an LS /6.2 gm powered vehicle (cough Escalade.. wish they kept the 6.0 that was a much better engine)? I am highly suspect of GM's quality/assembly of the 6.2s. Great performer but I doubt the durability especially in large numbers of marine applications. Just my preference I would rather have a 502 based engine for marine use. Will be interesting to see how they perform over the long term, starting to see more 6.2s in skiboats too.

I don't think Ilmor usees a GM base engine for thie one. LS block yes, but I think the rest is Ilmor spec. The LSX block is one bad azz mofo.

Chuck, an answer to this?

Originally Posted by techman (Post 3620080)
But yeah, as is, it looks like the two warts on Lemmy Kilmister's face (see MotorHead). No offense Lemmy!

Heey, that's unfair to Lemmy. Lemmy is god:thankyouthankyou:

Von Bongo 02-17-2012 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by pm203 (Post 3620112)
Looks like the alien head from the movie aliens.

+1
thats what I thought too.. Guarantee someone will custom paint it to look like it some day!

Marginmn 02-17-2012 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by pm203 (Post 3620112)
Looks like the alien head from the movie aliens.

You are right, I knew there was something familiar about the looks of it, and I hated it but couldn't put my finger on why. :party-smiley-004:

dkwestern 02-17-2012 02:47 PM

I'd take Ilmor all day over this. The 565 looks worse than the 502HO. FUGLY

FasterFaster 02-18-2012 08:27 PM

It sure runs well in the 42 Nor-Tech Monte Carlo. I went out in that boat yesterday. Plenty of torque. Just eased up on plane. Very quiet with x-haust, yet still good sound. Digital shifting is smooth. Speed is in the mid-eighties. Very fast for that size boat, power level and price. 8.7L displacement gets my vote.

Jassman 02-18-2012 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by blkmtrfan (Post 3620132)
Tough crowd here ...

Looks like allot of great engineering to me :ernaehrung004:

Im ok with it...not much diff than the 1300's when it comes to unusual looking..its just different..its a change ..

HTRDLNCN 02-24-2012 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by FasterFaster (Post 3621023)
It sure runs well in the 42 Nor-Tech Monte Carlo. I went out in that boat yesterday. Plenty of torque. Just eased up on plane. Very quiet with x-haust, yet still good sound. Digital shifting is smooth. Speed is in the mid-eighties. Very fast for that size boat, power level and price. 8.7L displacement gets my vote.

Jealous,
wish I could have gotten a ride, thats one sexy looking boat!

Michael1 02-25-2012 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by C_Spray (Post 3619831)
ILMOR's 570 is based on LS architecture, features variable cam timing, and passed their in-house 24-hour WOT max-load durability test.

24 hours??? Whoopty doo! I hope that is a misprint. The auto companies run 200 to 400 hours of WOT. If it isn't a misprint, remind me not to buy an Ilmor engine.

Michael

glassdave 02-25-2012 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Michael1 (Post 3626657)
24 hours??? Whoopty doo! I hope that is a misprint. The auto companies run 200 to 400 hours of WOT. If it isn't a misprint, remind me not to buy an Ilmor engine.

Michael

do you really think the Ilmore in incapable of that? With the amount of tech and design talent available in house there i am quite certain 2-400hrs isnt the slightest issue. I would assume the 24hrs is just a standard baseline test as these engines live there entire life at just about WOT, something i am sure they are aware of. I do agree they should do a multi hundred hour pull and use that in media but lets face it there reputation speaks for itself. If i had the means these would be my first choice bar none. Cant wait till they have a package complete with sterndrive man i get excited just thinkin about that :D

C_Spray 02-25-2012 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Michael1 (Post 3626657)

Michael

When the Ilmor guys told Mercury about this, Mercury's response was "Why are you going so long?". Maybe we should all put car engines in our boats... ;)

I'm sure that the 565 and 570 will both be reliable packages. Competition among engine manufacturers is good for the consumer.