Mercury Racing Unveils 565 Engine with Digital Throttle and Shift >

Mercury Racing Unveils 565 Engine with Digital Throttle and Shift

Notices

Mercury Racing Unveils 565 Engine with Digital Throttle and Shift

Old 02-25-2012, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

For all those quasi-engine building experts out there I would say take your engine, put it either on a special dyno for 24 hours or in a boat and run it at full throttle for 24 hours and then get back here on OSO and tell us what happened to your engine. Got a feeling you might be getting back on here in way less than 24 hours telling us about the grenading the engine took?

Ilmor and any other manufacturer is willing to take the expense and effort to do a 24 hour full load test on a marine performance engine is way above the bar for testing and verifying the abilities of its engine!

Kudos to them for the effort and the obviously successful results.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 02-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar
For all those quasi-engine building experts out there I would say take your engine, put it either on a special dyno for 24 hours or in a boat and run it at full throttle for 24 hours and then get back here on OSO and tell us what happened to your engine. Got a feeling you might be getting back on here in way less than 24 hours telling us about the grenading the engine took?

Ilmor and any other manufacturer is willing to take the expense and effort to do a 24 hour full load test on a marine performance engine is way above the bar for testing and verifying the abilities of its engine!

Kudos to them for the effort and the obviously successful results.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
I am not a "quasi-engine building expert" as you put it. I was a test engineer for an OEM.

Ray, why don't you give us the details of this full load test?

Are they cycling it from peak torque to peak horsepower? That's what the automakers do.

If these engines can't even pass an automotive OEM test, then they are WAY overpriced as far as I am concerned. I wouldn't trust an engine that only had 24 hours of test running. You have to be kidding me. That to me says they are a lot of bling and very little engineering.

Michael

Last edited by Michael1; 02-25-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

Michael1 :

Sir, not questioning your expertise as a test engineer only as a marine engine builder. I don't know how or under what parameters this test was conducted however I do know that Ilmor does and has always done a fantastic job of engine design and fabrication providing marine performance engines that exhibit fantastic reliability in the boats under real world performance boating conditions and in many racing applications. I am sure if you contact Ilmor or send a PM to Ilmordude here on OSO they would most graciously provide you with the basis and results of their tests.
Please lets us all know what type of engine durability tests you perform in your position as a test engineer. I am sure many here would be interested to hear about your work, myself included.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 02-25-2012, 10:57 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael1
...very little engineering.
Michael
Ummm... You'd better read this regarding Ilmor's engineering credentials.

You'll have to call Ilmor at (734) 456-3600 for more details on the test. They probably won't tell you everything, but I'll be they will tell you far more than Mercury will.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C_Spray
Ummm... You'd better readthis regarding Ilmor's engineering credentials.

You'll have to call Ilmor at (734) 456-3600 for more details on the test. They probably won't tell you everything, but I'll be they will tell you far more than Mercury will.
X2 Ilmors engineering credentials are beyond reproach.

UD
Old 02-25-2012, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Good durability test: 150 hours cycling between peak torque and peak HP, stopping for oil change every 25 hours. Since even high performance boats spend a lot of time at idle and part throttle cruise, an engine that can pass this test should provide at least 300 hours of reliable service in the boat. Not many of us can log 100 hours per season so that's quite a few years of troublefree boating.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by C_Spray
Ummm... You'd better read this regarding Ilmor's engineering credentials.

I can second that about Mercury.

Having read the summary provided in the link, I cannot really tell much about their engineering abilities to produce a "consumer" product. That doesn't mean they are not doing good engineering, and in retrospect, my prior post was a bit reactionary. Even just to get the engine to meet emissions takes some decent engineering, and my hat is off to them for producing an emissions legal engine with good power.

I've worked for both the aftermarket and OEM's, and they are completely two different types of engineering. I have a lot of respect for engineers that can get the maximum performance out of a design. I also have a lot of respect for engineers that can get the maximum durability out of a design. Those two diciplines rarely meet, however.

I really hope Ilmor is doing more than 24 hours of durability testing for a product aimed at consumers. I would think they would be, especially if they have to warranty it for emissions, but I'll give them a call and see what they say.

I think the question people should always ask is, "OK, it makes that much power, but for how long?"

Michael

Last edited by Michael1; 02-25-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

Hey Mike,

Can you let us no more about how the OEM's test there engines, I think a lot would like to know.

Maybe start another thread.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Raylar
Michael1 :

Sir, not questioning your expertise as a test engineer only as a marine engine builder. I don't know how or under what parameters this test was conducted however I do know that Ilmor does and has always done a fantastic job of engine design and fabrication providing marine performance engines that exhibit fantastic reliability in the boats under real world performance boating conditions and in many racing applications. I am sure if you contact Ilmor or send a PM to Ilmordude here on OSO they would most graciously provide you with the basis and results of their tests.
Please lets us all know what type of engine durability tests you perform in your position as a test engineer. I am sure many here would be interested to hear about your work, myself included.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Ray, generally I like to keep a low profile regarding my work background. Test engineering is just one of them. You can question my experitise as a marine engine builder - I've never built one! I'm sure you guys have a whole host of issues I've never dreamed of.

At the request of Wildman_grafix, I created a new thread detailing the tests we ran at an automotive OEM Engine Durability Testing

Michael

Last edited by Michael1; 02-25-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
do you really think the Ilmore in incapable of that? With the amount of tech and design talent available in house there i am quite certain 2-400hrs isnt the slightest issue. I would assume the 24hrs is just a standard baseline test as these engines live there entire life at just about WOT, something i am sure they are aware of. I do agree they should do a multi hundred hour pull and use that in media but lets face it there reputation speaks for itself. If i had the means these would be my first choice bar none. Cant wait till they have a package complete with sterndrive man i get excited just thinkin about that
"They" do Dave, its just "they" go by a different name.

http://www.arneson-industries.com/pa...ravoConversion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.