Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What makes are having fuel tank issues from ethonal? >

What makes are having fuel tank issues from ethonal?

Notices

What makes are having fuel tank issues from ethonal?

Old 02-15-2012, 05:02 PM
KN
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What makes are having fuel tank issues from ethonal?

Hey guys just wondering what boats are having trouble with their fuel tanks leaking, caused by the ethonal in the fuel?

Thanks
Old 02-16-2012, 06:37 AM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Any tank. Aluminum and fiberglass are most prone to issues. E-10 is corrosive to aluminum more so when water is introduced. It is also a solvent and can dissolve some fiberglass resins and cause damage.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought I had the problem last summer. Turned out a water separator was leaking. got lucky.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

I'm not aware of alluminum being any more or less corrosive than any other metal tank. We had to replace a steel tank on our houseboat that was rusting internally......it was replaced with alluminum. Last time I checked most all the builders are still using alluminum tanks............ What else is there to use?

Last edited by TexomaPowerboater; 02-16-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
I'm not aware of alluminum being any more or less corrosive than any other metal tank. We had to replace a steel tank on our houseboat that was rusting internally......it was replaced with alluminum. Last time I checked most all the builders are still using alluminum tanks............ What else is there to use?
Alcohol will corrode Aluminum at it's weakest point, The Welds. All tanks except some polymer tanks are subject to adverse affects of Ethanol!! Had my tanks redone at Skater in 2008 before Ethanol hit the pumps here in Atl.
Had To replace steel tanks in 2 of my Diesel work trucks because the 15ppm sulfer blend ate the liner out, and the gaskets in the fuel pumps.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:28 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by offshoresteve
Had To replace steel tanks in 2 of my Diesel work trucks because the 15ppm sulfer blend ate the liner out, and the gaskets in the fuel pumps.
the sulphur didn't eat it, the biodiesel that ain't supposed to be in there did... was it a Ford 6.0?
Attached Thumbnails What makes are having fuel tank issues from ethonal?-fueltanks001.jpg   What makes are having fuel tank issues from ethonal?-fueltanks002.jpg  
Old 02-16-2012, 04:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUIZILLA
the sulphur didn't eat it, the biodiesel that ain't supposed to be in there did... was it a Ford 6.0?
Isuzu Cab over Landscape Trucks
Old 02-17-2012, 07:18 AM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Biodiesel has ethanol in it. They use it to get the water out of the fuel after they wash it.

Also if your area has just gone over to ethanol blended fuel only the ethanol will dissolve the many years of that varnish like coating left behind. Then your tank is spotless inside. Here is were problems start as the ethanol can break the particles down so small they will easily go through a 10 micron filter and once they get to the heat of the engine during combustion they re solidify. This it the engine damaging part.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by mrv8outboard
Biodiesel has ethanol in it. They use it to get the water out of the fuel after they wash it.

Also if your area has just gone over to ethanol blended fuel only the ethanol will dissolve the many years of that varnish like coating left behind. Then your tank is spotless inside. Here is were problems start as the ethanol can break the particles down so small they will easily go through a 10 micron filter and once they get to the heat of the engine during combustion they re solidify. This it the engine damaging part.
A good stabilizer will dissolve the particles.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:36 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Aren't they suppose to be upping the ethanol in gas even higher? Thought I heard that. The only place I can find ethanol free is the marina and ouch. Last year 20 gallons cost me just under a 100 bucks, that doesn't make much of a difference in the gas gauge when u have a 150 gallon tank.