Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Ilmor High-Performance unveils MV8 570 Small Block >

Ilmor High-Performance unveils MV8 570 Small Block

Notices

Ilmor High-Performance unveils MV8 570 Small Block

Old 02-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

I just wonder in a boat like mine what it would be like to reduce the weight off the back end of my already a** heavy boat.

The savings is 10% to 11% of the total!
Old 02-20-2012, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
hmmmmmm.......

It is great that we have a choice vs Merc, but not because Merc ever did anything wrong to me, just the opposite. I just like options. (we can also build custom at our price points)

Last rig I chose a 710 which was the latest bestest at the time, and I love my Ilmor plus Id add- ownership experience to date has been superb.

The 570 although bound to be a superb mill, it offers different choices.
In a 565 vs 570 round its harder for me to make the call.

Both Iron Block aluminum head engines. So right away its not as cool as it could theoretically be.
Which one could be bored stroked the most at rebuild?

Ones a BBC, the other an LSX.

BBC has tons pf parts, at very reasonable prices and rebuild costs, plus a plethora of options such as going back to a more reliable super high perf manifold.

LSX-a few and getting more, but its an answer to a non problem.

Whats the retail price of both engines?

Tough one here....

UD
Something else to consider is the BBC does not incorporate variable valve timing technology like the LSx which increases low end torque and high rpm horsepower.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4mulafastech
Something else to consider is the BBC does not incorporate variable valve timing technology like the LSx which increases low end torque and high rpm horsepower.
True-it does not.

Let see what the two curves are though before we declare a winner.

If the 565 has an equal or better curve without the VVT would it be "better"?

Still the thought of a twin re-power from a single 710 to twin 570's is a really cool proposition hmmmm.....

UD

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 02-20-2012 at 03:34 PM. Reason: redundant word removed
Old 02-20-2012, 12:58 PM
Registered

or a twin 320hp to twin 570hp... hmmmmm....
Old 02-20-2012, 01:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
True-it does not.

Let see what the two curves are though before we declare a winner.

If the 565 has an equal or better without curve without the VVT would it be "better"?

Still the thought of a twin re-power from a single 710 to twin 570's is a really cool proposition hmmmm.....

UD
Yes, it would be interesting to see those curves laying on top of one another. Even so though, before declaring a winner we still should keep in mind the 570 is small and lighter, so for those boats that may have twin small blocks, going to twin big blocks is not a possibility. This can be a great alternative for us folks stuck with small blocks.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4mulafastech
Yes, it would be interesting to see those curves laying on top of one another. Even so though, before declaring a winner we still should keep in mind the 570 is small and lighter, so for those boats that may have twin small blocks, going to twin big blocks is not a possibility. This can be a great alternative for us folks stuck with small blocks.
It seems the clear choice in the case of mandatory SB footprints.

This sector is hot right now with Mast and their LSX 600 Mill (it should also be noted Mast acquired talent from Ilmors build line)

The Raylar 550 LSM which has an established price point of 22K

Hard for me to imagine a more precise "real" volume assembly line up to Ilmors specs.

Im eager to see it run.

UD
Old 02-20-2012, 01:53 PM
Registered

Default Back on track.........810 LBS

The posted weight is for ENGINE ONLY. Block has been modified to our Marine standards with complete ILMOR spec internals. Stay tuned for further details!!

ILMOR-

Last edited by ILMORdude; 02-20-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:05 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

not sure if its in here somewhere but when is the expected availability?
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 02-20-2012, 06:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Spray
ILMORdude - Correct me if I'm wrong, but the durability requirement during development was 24 hours at maximum load and wide-open throttle, right?

rlj676 - As fas as low-end torque goes, I believe I heard a spec of 400 lb-ft at 2500 rpm. Variable cam timing is a wonderful thing. Bear in mind, too, that you'll get an additional 15% torque gain because this engine can be geared shorter than a 5200 rpm engine, so it's equivalent to 460 lb-ft. That should do it. Since this is a derivative of the 522 hp skiboat engine, ILMOR has applied the low-end torque knowledge that they gained in that market.

The line of boatbuilders and engine importers was non-stop at ILMOR Saturday afternoon. The Mercury 565 is apparently not CE-approved for export to Europe...
Thanks for the info. I didn't see the displacement originally, but it it's 7.4 liters as someone posted and w/ what you said, I think low end is no problem. Can't wait to see the price and performance now.

Do they expect the variable timing to reduce fuel consumption? Also, how does that system work? I don't believe the car LS motors use that?
Old 02-20-2012, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

They bleed off the lifter at low speed and will be better. Fuel all around and better torque big blocks give up. Your days are marked sorry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.