Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   PSI Racing Water cooled Header!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/271004-psi-racing-water-cooled-header.html)

psi 02-19-2012 06:30 PM

PSI Racing Water cooled Header!!

2 Attachment(s)
I finally got the water cooled Header completed and will be back in the water by the weekend to meet up with the poker run boats this weekend at the tie up party....Will keep you guys posted on how the header works out...The turbine housing isnt going on just yet...gonna do one piece at a time and see the effect on power and any issues...

dykstra 02-19-2012 07:10 PM

Looks good! Very interested in this thread.

SS930 02-19-2012 07:21 PM

Is that for a 2JZ-GTE??? :eek:

JIMKID Motorsports 02-19-2012 07:59 PM

Where is your runner length and tuning

SS930 02-19-2012 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by JIMKID Motorsports (Post 3621687)
Where is your runner length and tuning

Not so important with a turbo (under boost at least).

psi 02-20-2012 12:18 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hey Guys...before this exhaust manifold was created I had a equal length, stainless header with a 6 into merge collector and all that fancy stuff on the engine...With the old Equal length header, the fastest the boat ran was 114mph with a 34Bravo 1,4 blade @6800rpm...no more power to pull it past that... it was with a different turbocharger, same basic size just an older style.... The reason for the new, log style manifold was to simplify my life when the time came to water cool it... Once I completed the new header, power concerns where a huge question mark to myself...I completed the new setup right before the LOTO shootout last year august, and when i mean right before, i mean the boat was trailered to LOTO and didnt even run or test prior to the shootout....When I got to Missourio thursday, I had to complete the vacuum lines that ran to all the turbo, boost controller and wastegate prior to splashing the boat...once all was complete I put the boat in the water 1st thing friday morning with my fingers and toes crossed that there were not any water leaks from the reconfiguration of the new exhaust pipe and wastegate being water cooled....thankfully everything turned out ok...with no leaks we procedeed to make sure the boat got on plane and cruised....everything seemed great, no noticeable difference from the equal length header

To make a longer story shorter...raceday day came for mee on sunday...with the new set up the boat pulled off a 117mph run with a 30 bravo 1 prop @7800rpm.....I was ecstatic and realized if there were any power loses how could I even complain about it....well back in Miami...The boat has ran a best of 129mph with a labbed 34 Bravo 1 @7800RPM and trust mee when I say it still has more in it... Something me myself wouldnt think a log style and 6 cylinder powered 25 Daytona would do...

Below you'll see the old set up with the equal length style header, compared to the more compact new log style...

Thanks,
Brendan

Dan Adams 02-20-2012 06:11 AM

Header looks nice

HabanaJoe 02-20-2012 07:39 AM

Not that you could because of space but unless you did a collector for 1-3-5 & 2-4-6 with long runners (12"-18") you won't really gain anything over a split log like you have. I think you did good because like Mercury & Hardin you have space limitations that are hard to overcome.

Steve 1 02-20-2012 09:58 AM

Thank you for the pictures and keep posting more on this project.

Panther 02-20-2012 10:02 AM

Any chance the new manifold is doing a little pulse charging? From what I understand, all engines with multiples of 3 cylinders can benefit from pulse charging?