Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
need registration help in ny >

need registration help in ny

Notices

need registration help in ny

Old 02-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

with a bill of sale in nh you can reg any boat .and when you sell it hand over the reg to the new owner .with that he can go to ny or his state and reg and they will issue a title from that .ive done it many times
Old 02-29-2012, 06:39 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
That maine trick is the hot set up. I want to do mine this year, is there a website you use or did you drive to Maine?
http://www.mainetrailerregistrations.com/

I used these guys and got the new plate and reg in about 10 business days.

If you already have a trailer just send them the registration, even if you have a title just keep it titled in NY and register it in maine. My boat trailer is 45 a year in Ny plus the inspection. In maine the trailer is 5 years for 90 bucks plus no hassle of the inspection.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by soldier4402
http://www.mainetrailerregistrations.com/

I used these guys and got the new plate and reg in about 10 business days.

If you already have a trailer just send them the registration, even if you have a title just keep it titled in NY and register it in maine. My boat trailer is 45 a year in Ny plus the inspection. In maine the trailer is 5 years for 90 bucks plus no hassle of the inspection.
Awesome. $45 for NY on yout trailer? What GVRW did you have it for? Mine is well over $200 a year for 15k lbs in NY
Old 02-29-2012, 08:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4bus
Awesome. $45 for NY on yout trailer? What GVRW did you have it for? Mine is well over $200 a year for 15k lbs in NY
I think its set at 10k. I dont know my fountain weighs like 7 dry and think I have it set at 10k. Either way 90 bucks for 5 years in main. AGAIN DONT send them the title, just the reg. I also included a note telling them I wanted 5 years with my contact info and the check. Plate came about 10 days later. easy process NO BS.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replies to need help with reg in ny

thanks for all the advice, for some reason I got all the posts at once just now. I'll give an update, previous owner swears he'll get me the reg even if he has to drive to nh dmv to get it himself, however this was promised for a month now. My local police told me It's not stolen and I only need a bill of sale to register but nys dmv says I need the registration to prove ownership. I called nh dmv and they wont give me any info on the boat or previous owner because of privacy issues. After hours on the nys dmv website there is a way for me to register it (i think) if I tell them that I lost the registration and provide them with 1 bill of sale, 2 statement from police officer saying its not stolen 3 a trsacing of the hull id # and 4 notorize the bill of sale. At that time they will issue me a non transferable registration to me and send it to a review panel to decide if I can get a transferable one. This is the route i'll probably take if the old owner won't come through or i'll just try to sell it and get some of my money back being sure to let the new owner of the issues! Thanks again and I'll keep updating any progress.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by buzzz11672
thanks for all the advice, for some reason I got all the posts at once just now. I'll give an update, previous owner swears he'll get me the reg even if he has to drive to nh dmv to get it himself, however this was promised for a month now. My local police told me It's not stolen and I only need a bill of sale to register but nys dmv says I need the registration to prove ownership. I called nh dmv and they wont give me any info on the boat or previous owner because of privacy issues. After hours on the nys dmv website there is a way for me to register it (i think) if I tell them that I lost the registration and provide them with 1 bill of sale, 2 statement from police officer saying its not stolen 3 a trsacing of the hull id # and 4 notorize the bill of sale. At that time they will issue me a non transferable registration to me and send it to a review panel to decide if I can get a transferable one. This is the route i'll probably take if the old owner won't come through or i'll just try to sell it and get some of my money back being sure to let the new owner of the issues! Thanks again and I'll keep updating any progress.
That sounds about right, but the time you will have in it and such your better off taking the time to drive out to NH. You go the NY route you explained you might wait months for it.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Registered

Default you were right

still waiting from previous owner and dmv. I had to send out certified letters to previous owner and pray he didn't respond to them, this way I can take them to dmv along with other info and hopefully get a new reg. For anyone else with a similar issue, its way easier to take the drive and get one on the spot which I may end up doing anyway. The only good part about this is its given me time to redo the interior and set it up nicely. Thanks for all the help
Old 07-22-2012, 05:49 PM
Registered

Default need registration help in ny. i finally got it

i finally got my valid transferable nys registration after all the b.s. Thank all of you for your help every bit helped. For others in the same boat it is much easier to take the ride to N.H and register it there and then use that to re-register in N.Y. By the way If anyone knows anyone interested in a 21 challenger it is now for sale. 3500.00 boat motor trailer. you can email joe at [email protected] for details