Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
5 days/4 nights on a 24' cuddy in the Keys ;) >

5 days/4 nights on a 24' cuddy in the Keys ;)

Notices

5 days/4 nights on a 24' cuddy in the Keys ;)

Old 02-20-2012, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 1,819 Likes on 711 Posts
Default Yep.

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
I see ya found toilet seat cut
I have video I took while standing with the birds while my buddy Miami Dave did 100 mph fly by's through that cut in his STV yrs ago.
Was actually following him this time in his C.C.
He lead us through another one, closer to shore that scared the pee out of me when my depth alarm went off @ 1.5'

demag, 400 by land and 90 by water.

Tim, being from Ohio orig, I can relate. I grew up doing a weekly 2 1/2 hr commute to Lake Erie so this is only a 1/2 hr farther for me. 200 mls from my door to Key Largo.
We are contemplating a trip to Lake Erie next yr. Would be similar mls as you to Keys.
@ $4 per I figure tow pigg gas @ $1K round trip @ 10 mpg.
I'm used to doing that trip non stop but pulling the boat and going the extra 120 mls to the lake I'm doubtful. I tow @ 70 where able and thats 10 bellow what I run unloaded. Thats a big drop when you're looking at 1300ish mls.
I can tow faster but gas mileage drops quckly and trailer tires are unhappy. Can't imagine doing the trip w/a 35' Fountain although we both know those that do.
I'd have big fun w/your boat in Lake Erie and know many that make that trip regular. Your Ohio River is large fun as well.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Thanks for posting the pics.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 532 Likes on 329 Posts

Very envious of your trip.

Keep up those heavenly trips!

...and share your pics with us
Old 02-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
I have video I took while standing with the birds while my buddy Miami Dave did 100 mph fly by's through that cut in his STV yrs ago.
Was actually following him this time in his C.C.
He lead us through another one, closer to shore that scared the pee out of me when my depth alarm went off @ 1.5'

demag, 400 by land and 90 by water.

Tim, being from Ohio orig, I can relate. I grew up doing a weekly 2 1/2 hr commute to Lake Erie so this is only a 1/2 hr farther for me. 200 mls from my door to Key Largo.
We are contemplating a trip to Lake Erie next yr. Would be similar mls as you to Keys.
@ $4 per I figure tow pigg gas @ $1K round trip @ 10 mpg.
I'm used to doing that trip non stop but pulling the boat and going the extra 120 mls to the lake I'm doubtful. I tow @ 70 where able and thats 10 bellow what I run unloaded. Thats a big drop when you're looking at 1300ish mls.
I can tow faster but gas mileage drops quckly and trailer tires are unhappy. Can't imagine doing the trip w/a 35' Fountain although we both know those that do.
I'd have big fun w/your boat in Lake Erie and know many that make that trip regular. Your Ohio River is large fun as well.
Last trip down there I was following some STV's then last minute saw brown and didnt dare run across, made a quick left, and followed a guy in a contender that was with our group, we had a laugh about it later at the sandbar looking at my GPS track with the quick 180*
Old 02-20-2012, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 1,819 Likes on 711 Posts

Rick, ditto

Some moh pix's. Glad you guys are enjoying them.

The bars open! PS, hoping to get the interior made in a month or two.

Was kinda cool seeing this party boat pass right by our anchorage.

This was about my only failure of the trip. After my 12 volt coffee pot killed my #1 battery for the 2nd time I gave up and bought this one from the K-Mart in Key Largo. After an hour on high heat and using an entire bottle of propane it didn't work! We took it back on our way out of town.

I've got an idea on how to build one. I will have real coffee on my damn boat!

I really liked this one although the wife forgot to zoom. The guy is paddling while his lady has a cocktail on the front deck

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 02-20-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That trip looked like a good time, I bet the trip home was a real downer. I'd love to hit the keys on our boat. My ultimate trip is leaving out of Zanesville, OH on the Muskingham River down to the Ohio to the Mississippi and into the gulf. Hit Tampa, St Pete, Naples, and then the keys. I'd trailer home after that, I have know clue how much coin that would cost but it would be worth it.

Great pics!
Old 02-20-2012, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mr Bravo III (here) left Milwaukee WI to FL with an older 390 Sea Ray. That would be a great trip!

TwinOB Steamboat cruiser: only in Keys do you see Neon Trim- Fkn HuckleBerry Finn didn't have that high tech LOL
Old 02-20-2012, 02:18 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

WOW...that was awesome.
We too have done extended trips but never that far from home or in as exotic a place. Several 4 nighters where we circled the Chesapeake bay. Longest was 6 days/5 nights around the lower bay/Rudee inlet region. Although these were on a 31 then later a 38 ft Formula, I ate/slept/traveled with the wife and our 3 kids!!!
Old 02-20-2012, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now that's my kind of boating! I did a week around the Chesapeake last summer and really enjoyed it. Thanks for the story and pics.!

Last edited by suntimes; 02-20-2012 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Wouldn't post the whole thing at once...
Old 02-20-2012, 03:15 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,067 Likes on 282 Posts

Awesome Gary just awesome!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.