Hardin Dual Turbo Kit For 525......

Notices

Hardin Dual Turbo Kit For 525......

Old 02-22-2012, 08:48 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
First shown to me by "Pismo" on Donzi.net.

With link to article by Matt Trulio. I'm surprised that Matt didn't post this up here.
http://speedonthewater.com/new-boats...-in-miami.html
Matt posted it here on OSO ten days ago: Hardin Post.

Thanks for the photos. It's defitinitely a well thought-out package. I spoke to Steve about it, and he has it all under control.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:55 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
I think it's a cool idea, and I'm sure they'll get it figured out but I think it was a bit premature to release a concept. It's not even a functioning prototype, just some shiny pieces. The exhaust entry into the turbo definitely needs some work IMO. Look at the path the exhaust from the rear cylinders has to take. I do think it's a great idea I just think it was a little premature to be giving HP and cost numbers on something that is untested. As it progresses I would love to see some actual data like IE ratio, boost, egt's, etc. It has a lot of potential and if they can deliver for the estimated price it'll be awesome for someone starting a new build that needs exhaust anyway. I'd like to see one with manifolds too.
What a great time to introduce this kit! This kit fits into the same exact space as the current 525 so there is no penalty in the concept. The components are real and they will be functioning soon on a test 525 to give a dyno sheet with the answers people want to know.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by osur866
Carl, you gonna have room forward of the motor for all that plumbing??
I'd make the room! But I don't have the money

Originally Posted by VetteLT193
All the pics are of the same engine... I'm confused on the distributor comment?
HP525 EFI is distributorless. That is a mock up on a 502 maybe or maybe an early 525?

"Matt posted it here on OSO ten days ago: Hardin Post." OK, I wanted to be sure he got some credit for bringing it to our attention.

Last edited by thirdchildhood; 02-22-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:04 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik
What a great time to introduce this kit! This kit fits into the same exact space as the current 525 so there is no penalty in the concept. The components are real and they will be functioning soon on a test 525 to give a dyno sheet with the answers people want to know.
Awesome!
Old 02-22-2012, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

This looks like a very nice package. It seems as though they wanted to get some press and initial excitement going at Miami as the release and actual details work outs are a bit away yet and only final exact pricing will be a lot of answers for many interested parties. Hope they can do it complete and working for $12K, that would be great but may be a BIG challange!
I as a boater would not look for this package for this season though, don't think they can get everything done here prior to May. That's a tall order.

As for the question on the 525efi upgrade I will be shamelessly self serving to say that our Raylar HP675efi upgrade is $15,600 and we have one on the floor ready to go for anybody interested.
I attached some info here.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Raylar HP675EFI.doc (28.5 KB, 362 views)
Old 02-22-2012, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
The exhaust entry into the turbo definitely needs some work IMO. Look at the path the exhaust from the rear cylinders has to take.
I dont see that as a big stumbling block, that's smoother than many choked up logs, and those seem to generally work very well.

I'd like to see one with manifolds too
Now that I agree with 100%, as I've stated over and over in other threads... SS tube doesn't stand up well to turbo applications, it's been proven to leak over and over again in the automotive world.

The key here IMO is to use cast manifolds. I would do them so they could be bolted on and sold for all BBC apps (not just 525 bolt patterns, sell a redrill kit for those apps). I would think the manifolds and water cooled turbine housings could sell like hotcakes if prices right!

I don't know if liquid cooling will be enough to keep these SS headers from cracking, but I certainly wouldn't want to be a first adopter! Cast manifolds are w/o a doubt the way to go!
Old 02-22-2012, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts

Poor quality stainless will leak, however Mark Putnam (unchained) on performance boats has homemade stainless turbo headers on a 1,800hp engine with no problems after several seasons.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

beautiful and well engineered, until you couple 775hp to a bravo 1
Old 02-22-2012, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik
How does this fit in the same exact package? Looks like it hangs forward about 10" from the factory belt system. Therefore, there is a penalty, such as every 42 Fountain stagger and many other staggered applications. Then, many single engine boats such as nordic, fountain, advantage.....

Then where does the coolant reservoir go? Do you go from clear plastic to a welded up one? Does it have sight glass? Where do they get the coolant capacity there losing from missing tank? Where is the shift bracket?
Old 02-22-2012, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Yep! Our thoughts also. that's why we stopped on our HP675efi package at 675HP cause thats what an HP600sci makes and we thought it would be better and less expensive to let Mercury Racing do some of our R&D on drive compatiability for us! HA! Gotta buy a new heavier drive for your upgrade on your HP525's add another $17-$20K to the package upgrade cost? $30K per engine ain't gonna fly well in todays gloomy economic performance boating waters.
JMO

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.