If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    My Boats:
    Looking for a OL or 272

Looking for a bit of advice

Hey guys,

So I'm new to the whole scene here, grew up on the lake, but always had a 21 foot bayliner "family" boat. Love being out on the water and going fast. been using the bayliner for the past couple years now and its time to upgrade.

Its finally time to start getting my own and have a few questions id like to ask.

I've been looking at 1992+ Baja 25 OL, most with 502's, and also Baja 272's with either the 502 or 496MAG HO.

My buddy had a 1996 272 with a punched out 502 to 509 and i loved that boat.

I'll also be running it on some mid size lakes but also LOTO and Lake Michigan.

anyways, what are some problem areas i should check into when looking at these boats? maybe a buyers guide or just general knowledge to know when I start getting into it.

any advice you all can share would be great. would like to learn from your mistakes and advice and not the hard way of finding out on my own.

San Diego, California

I think sometimes the overall visible condition will help tell you if the previous owner valued it highly and took good care of it cosmetically. However you should have an expert check out the engines, drives and not so visible aspects of the boat to make sure you are not buying a problem to start. Engines and drives are expensive to repair or replace and a boat ain't movin without EM! Don't start your new boating ownership expierence with a problem boat.

A friend saw this boat on Ebay #300666740896 a 27 Formula, might be something like you are looking for and worth putting on your consideration list. Check it out carefully just like any boat you might buy.

Best Regards,
    Ray @ Raylar