Don't get passed by a bass boat >

Don't get passed by a bass boat

Notices

Don't get passed by a bass boat

Old 11-10-2002, 08:48 PM
TulsaLarry

Default Don't get passed by a bass boat

Mercury sets bass boat speed records

Mercury Marine of Fond du Lac, Wis., has set four new bass boat world kilo speed records with its OptiMax outboard engines.

Team Jaco driver Bill McClain, driving an Allison XB 2002 bass boat powered by a Mercury Racing OptiMax 200XS, set a new world kilo speed record in the Pro Stock Bass 200 class on the Tennessee River. McClain flew through the traps at an average speed of 102.099 mph, beating the existing record by 1.143 mph. The original record was set in 1996 by a Mariner Super Magnum 200 EFI.

Next up was Paul Nichols of Chattanooga, Tenn., who set the world bass kilo speed record in the newly established 250 outboard class. He averaged 105.020 mph in a 250XS OptiMax outboard-powered Bullet 20cc bass boat.

Back in the pits, Team Jaco switched out the OptiMax 200XS on McClain’s boat for a Mercury 150 OptiMax. McClain set a new Pro Stock Bass 150 class record with an average speed of 92.103 mph. Finally, Team Jaco switched out the 150 for a 175 OptiMax. McClain used this engine to set a new Pro Stock Bass 175 class record of 99.191 mph, breaking his 1996 Pro Stock Bass 175 EFI record by over 5 mph.

The records, governed on-site by American Power Boat Association officials, require back-to-back speed runs over a straight-line, one kilometer course. The record is the average of two consecutive speed runs. Outboards must be production units that are available to the public, with minor modifications allowed to the gearcase and propeller.

Old 11-10-2002, 10:50 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Larry,

I think I've seen most of those guys on our local lakes.

Buck
Old 11-11-2002, 04:56 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, always said if I wanted to be the fastest, I'd have bought a bass boat! ....................and then a SeaDoo.........and THEN an offshore boat.
Old 11-11-2002, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lets see them run those speeds in 3 to 5 ft seas, thats why i wanted an offshore type boat, its not very smooth were i boat
Old 11-11-2002, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What makes me mad is they will insure bass boats and not think nothing of it and for a reasonable price. But you go in and want insurance for an offshore style boat they either tell you no or in most cases want to ream you good.
Cordell
Old 11-11-2002, 08:01 PM
Registered

Default Fast bass boats

I had an experience back in 1997 when I had just put my new blower motor in my new Velocity. I had ran several months and was about the fastest single engine V-hull on the lake. I had made a few blistering passes around some smaller performance boats when I got the humbling experience of the "bass boat". It passed me on my port side and I could do nothing with him. I was running low 90's. There will always be someone faster.
Old 11-11-2002, 08:23 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile bass boats

It's fun to blow by em running 85 + and make them cross your wake. It's even more fun to see the looks on their faces when the Cigarette blows by them while their sitting still - Roland Martin bring it on - haha----------BH
Old 11-11-2002, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Don't laugh.
I've driven a number of 100mph bass hulls (yeah, GPS).

I've got a friend with a 20' Bullet and a 300XS that runs 100 with all the fishing gear in it.

Helped a friend rig an 18' Bullet with a 2.4 EFI with an Offshore midsection. It had been rigged with a 175 Johnson prior and was propped with an aluminum prop (mid 60's). On our first test run with the big motor, the prop on the trolling motor started spinning at 75mph or so and the boat got W-I-L-D. I mean horribly unstable with the nose trying to pull HARD to one side.
This had never been a problem in the mid 60's but with the nose carried high and the greater speed, the trolling motor freewheeled and got really crazy. We adjusted the mount bracket so the prop would chock itself against the hull and the problem never recurred. That boat ran low 90's.

They are NOT big water boats in anybody's book, but you let me get in a good bass hull that is setup right and throw a wake out there for me with your 45' cruiser. I'll show you how to catch, hop, and pass that cruiser without slowing under 80. Add six or seven similar cruisers to the mix in the same area all running hard, and you got me - I'll have to drop down to 60 or so.

Man! you got me wishing I still had one... But only for a minute or so. They tend to eventually come apart under continued highspeed running when they are frequently airborne. And while you CAN run them like that, they AIN't comfortable doing it...
Old 11-12-2002, 12:02 PM
bobby daniels

YEP STEET YOU DID HAVE A FAST V BOTTOM ,GOOD THING THE LAKE WYLIE BOYS KEPT YOU IN CHECK ( GARY,MIKE,MARK, )
BUT THOSE INDUSTRIAL WEED-EATERS ARE FAST AND HELP RID
US OF THOSE PESKY MOSQUITOS SO THEY HAVE A PURPOSE

MIKES 280 HANDLED ONE WHITE FAST BASS BOAT ONE DAY ASK HIM WHAT HAPPENED

WATCH THOSE TABS

Old 11-12-2002, 01:24 PM
Registered

Default I live in Bass boat country

Well, too each their own, all kinds of tourneys here on a regular basis. I think most of the tourneys limit to 150 hp so the speeds are a little more in check.

As said, what hurts is the Insurance gods of the world write policies all day long for $300ish/yr for a 20' waterski with an outboard clamped on. It really frustrates me to hear how "Risky" the cats and offshore boats are.

Quick Reply: Don't get passed by a bass boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.