Notices

Gratton SBI lawsuit

Old 03-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ALVIN
I personally have a hard time when people call it a racing accident. I view it, that Joey survived the accident and the policy and procedures in place, failed Joey, The Family and most Racers. Bottomline Joey drowned, fighting for his life, thinking about his family and waiting and wanting for that Angel to appear. We know the racers with canopys all go thru the dunker test. You would like to think that is training enough to save yourself or your wingman. I can tell you with dunker training in a controlled slow gentle rollover, you still have people that panic, wether taking a gulp of water or getting stuck in the belts. Everybody in the inner circle knows this, but what is reassuring, you know that you also been trained that if dunker training fails. The rescue diver will be released and be your angel.
I remember my first race in Key West in the drivers meeting, when it was said if we have a manatee or sea turtle on the course, we will all come to a full stop and resume racing when the coast is clear. If we have a racing accident and there is a man in the water, race with caution. That struck me so odd that day that a manatee or sea turtle was more important then anybody in that meeting. I use to make fun of myself to my friends with that statement, now it haunts me to wonder how the policys and procedures would have handled a wounded sea turtle or manatee on 11/11/11.
I personally have no issues with any of the Offshore groups and I salute every one of the rescue divers. We all know that offshore will never merge for multiple reasons, but you cannot let the last line of safety fail, that is what keeps the racer racing.

On the comment, Did they think they were going to crash and die that day, absolutely not,

Well sir, I did everytime, I looked at my wife and then thought to myself, is this the last time. Wondering is this fair for her to be supporting my messed up passion. I am sure Joey had the same feelings, that was a whole family of support to the sport and the Gratton Family gave all they had.

It's just how I see it
R.I.P. JOEY
Agreed 100% Alvin, great post!