Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Maryland to limit boat gatherings >

Maryland to limit boat gatherings

Notices

Maryland to limit boat gatherings

Old 03-01-2012, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets see... 1st shutting down an awesome event and now the threat of a luxury tax on boats in MD doesn't bode well for Maryland boaters. Just wondering what will be next. Such a shame!
Old 03-01-2012, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That had to be a touch call, however I think it is the correct call.

All they need is someone to act up at this event to add ammunition to their cause. Hopefully the negative attention will die down and you can resume this event hassle-free in the near future.

This is Maryland, beat them at their own game!! File to have a religious gathering on the water or a protest on the water and the SOB's in the State House might just pay you to hold the event.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by patyacht
Lets see... 1st shutting down an awesome event and now the threat of a luxury tax on boats in MD doesn't bode well for Maryland boaters. Just wondering what will be next. Such a shame!
Don't forget the no mortgage write off for over $100K earners*, the 23.5 cent fuel tax or $24 every 2 raised to $250 (for a 32' boat) registration raise they just did, on top of the bridge tolls they just doubled and set to raise again next year.

Some of those have been killed already but just pointing out that just when Marylander's think they are shocked by yet another tax, they come up with yet another tax the is even more shocking..

"Shock and awe, then make it law" - they bring up some thing wild, then let it marinate for a year and then pass it; not as shocking the second time around.

I could go on for days.

* $100K earners, may be a lot of money in some parts of the county but not much in these parts. 10 of the top 15 highest median income counties are within 20 miles of my house and $100K gets you a rental in a so-so neighborhood these days. Don't take my word for it, here is an article from the paper just yesterday:

http://www.somdnews.com/article/2012...uthernMaryland

Last edited by marylandmark; 03-01-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you guys party this good to the point that the state gets involved, I need to move to maryland! I would find a way to keep the Feds in check if the party is that good...........
Old 03-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by marylandmark
Don't forget the no mortgage write off for over $100K earners*
That's a pretty big deal... It hasn't passed though, right?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...lHiR_blog.html

They say the 2 worst states to die in are NJ followed by MD. lol
Old 03-09-2012, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thenewbumperbash
It comes with great sadness to announce we have cancelled the annual July 2012 BumperBash. Due to pending legislation and heavy political pressures, we feel it best to drop back and get things on the square and level. We are looking at ways to continue bringing you entertainment and fun on the water and will post more as it becomes available. Please keep using your voices and votes to support our freedoms. Thank you all for your 6 years of loyalty and we hope to see you all somewhere soon!
I use to run a large boating event in Northern Illinois. I coordinated with several groups including the county sherriff, local law enforcement, DNR. I had local Fire and Rescue on site, as well as safety channels, grid patterns for emergency response, and garbage boats strictly for onsite trash. I was not allowed to charge admission or sell anything on site, we lost money every year it was run, which wasn't the issue.

I stopped running the event for many of the same reasons you listed. Great boating events are disappearing because someone else thinks there is some revenue to be had. Ask the guys who cancelled the chicago-scene.com boat party on lake michigan, or even the end of the season fireworks on the same lakes I boat.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:54 PM
Registered

This bill negatively affects all boating events STATEWIDE, not just ours. There are plenty of laws on the books to enforce any violations on the water already. At the 2011 BumperBash we had approximately 1000 boats, over 3000 people, and the police issued maybe 40 minor citations. Not exactly what I would call dramatic. Yes it was wild, but this is boaters on the water in summer. Its supposed to be fun! We have decided not to continue the event based on several issues, the least of which is getting the permit.

The boating community as a whole, even if they dont support large gatherings needed to stand up against this bill and others. There are others in the works like the proposed "luxury" tax and gas taxes we need to pay attention to now also.

I would like to share a statement from Senator Bryan Simonaire on MD 127 and how it came to pass:

"Let me state up front: I am for Bumper Bash! When SB127 was introduced, I opposed it vehemently. It was overreaching in undefined and unlimited government regulations, a gathering was defined as 50 boats or more, it was estimated that the fees for the Bumper Bash would have been around $25,000, advance notice would be 60 days, jail time was associated with a sponsor found in violation of the permit, there were open ended terms and conditions that would allow DNR to deny permits and the list goes on.
I had a choice: Vote against it, shout how bad it was and watch our rights disappear as it had the votes to pass; OR work with DNR and others to improve the bill to a workable piece of legislation. I chose the latter and formed a workgroup of local community associations, Bumper Basher organizer and attendees, DNR, NRP and sailing clubs.
The end result: I was the sponsor of the amendments to make the bill much better (not the sponsor of the bill). In summary, regulatory powers were stripped from the bill, a boat gathering had to be at least 100 boats now, the $25,000 fee went down to $0, the permit should only cost approx. $50 to $100, advance notice went down to 45 days, jail time was removed, open ended terms and conditions were removed, a permit now MUST be granted if a limited set of requirements are met (which were basically already being done last year) and if you already got a Coast Guard permit, this bill would have no effect.
I ensured this law would not stop Bumper Bash, if people wanted it to continue. The organizer of the previous Bumper Bashes was financially liable for the actions of the event. I am not sure if he was aware of that prior to our meeting, but most individuals would not want that type of financial risk. Other events have a corporate sponsor. I am working with community members to put together a group of businesses to sponsor the event next year.
I want your input. I wrote articles in the newspaper requesting input, but unfortunately I only received a handful of input prior to the committee vote, mostly positive. I am here to serve and welcome your input.
Senator Bryan Simonaire"
Old 03-14-2012, 09:00 PM
Registered

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

Pic of BumperBash 2011. Yes we paid out of pocket for the 70 foot barge, band, DJ, generator and cleanup afterwards.

Last edited by thenewbumperbash; 03-14-2012 at 09:01 PM. Reason: added info
Old 03-15-2012, 12:49 PM
Registered

I don't know if I'm expecting too much out of the boating scene off the Chesapeake, but in TX about half the number of boat in bumper bash is a consistent summer weekend occurrence and about double the size for July 4th, NO PERMITS needed. They usually have one local law enforcement boat checking for drunks driving and maybe 2 to 3 on July 4th.

Taxes are THE main reason why I'll never move back to the East Coast. They are taxing the death out of people, I've never seen anything like it. Luxury Taxes, over regulation, and taxes I've never even heard of. At least in TX an avg person has some hope of enjoying a boating lifestyle, on the East coast I don't see it.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:00 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by bert4332
Taxes are THE main reason why I'll never move back to the East Coast. They are taxing the death out of people, I've never seen anything like it. Luxury Taxes, over regulation, and taxes I've never even heard of. At least in TX an avg person has some hope of enjoying a boating lifestyle, on the East coast I don't see it.
But, in Texas some people are up in arms about showing a photo ID to vote. Seems like a perfectly reasonable way to verify who you say you are to me.

And if someone in TX owes you money and you live out of state, good luck getting it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.