Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   How about it APBA or SBI? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/27158-how-about-apba-sbi.html)

RiverGirl 06-23-2002 05:27 PM

Well, I guess that would separate the men from the boys, eh..:p

I think it needs to be done.
Just one "Big" race a year.... like the good 'ol days....
Get the ol'timers out there racing or not .. let'em live it up...
There are many still around.. bring'em back to life for a day.....

Have an "Offshore Racing Appreciation / Tribute Day" -- or
A tribute to the "Offshore Racing Pioneers & Current Heros" -- if you will....i don't know

Show the spectators/fans what racing "was/is" all about .... and how it evolved...

Show the racers the appreciation they so much deserve!

:D ;)

BlueMoon 06-23-2002 07:04 PM

Show the racers the appreciation they so much deserve!
How about them showing "US" the racing "WE" deserve?:D

Payton 06-23-2002 09:10 PM

Something that big, would take a lot of planning. Maybe it could be done at 3 or 4 different sites and rotate each year.
Chicago- Mackinaw, Miami- Nassau, New York- Cape Cod(??), LA- Glolden Gate Bridge(??).

What do you racers think?

Treadwellmotorsports 06-23-2002 09:53 PM

the only problem i see is most racers today have very small gas tanks. it would take a lot of money to rig the boat for one race and then to de rigg it. other then that sounds like fun .

Treadwell

Payton 06-23-2002 09:58 PM

I see your point. Maybe a manditor 60 minute refueling stop. But, then it would have to be run close to shore and that would make the 333mile trip a lot longer.

Hmmm

Pat D 06-24-2002 10:53 AM

How about Key West to Havanna?
Seeing it's being done almost daily (and at night) anyway, you could just put the word "race" in front of those fast trips.
Shouldn't be hard to get sponsors

RiverGirl 06-24-2002 02:03 PM

No, No, No......

that is the whole point...... either you have it or don't!

Dust off those ol' Aluminiun Cougar Cats........
and who has Don Johnson's #...?

once a year....... maybe not every year.
a tribute..........not part of the circuit.

It's about paying tribute to the history of the sport.
The where, when and who started needs to appriciated...
You don't have to race to participate!
Bring to light... what it takes to be #1, the hardwork, dedication, knowledge and the duckets it takes to participate.
If respect and enthusiasm is shown for yesterday and today..
Maybe the interest, enthusiam and respect of the sport might grow for tomorrow....think about it.....

plus... not only do my own gratifications are of interest here.....
but the ol'timers need to have a day where they can
live a day as they did in their younger "good ol'days" ....
weither they were good or bad.
... they were a big part of the history ...!

;) :D

BODYSHOT1 06-24-2002 03:06 PM

..we had a 10-mile straight run for the beginning of the OPA Seaside NJ race yesterday, and the teams loved it..:cool:

..the boats don't get to stretch their legs like that anymore..

cigarette1 06-24-2002 03:33 PM

Originally posted by Too Old
One of the points that has been batted around over and over on this web site is the importance of spectators for the sport of offshore to grow.

Offshore Racing does not need to be spectator friendly to be popular.

The most popular offshore racing event out west is the Catalina Ski Race. They all leave at the same time(very exciting) and we wait to see who comes back first and then second and then .....

There is no need to run the Ski race inshore or along the coast ... the intrest is in the fact that the winner of a class, as a team, has to endure Mutha' Nature.

If people can identify with the challenge, I think the intrest and popularity would grow.

Let's go for an endurance run from Long Beach to Catalina to Dana Point and back to Long Beach. Have the start/finish festivities at the SCOPE Poker Run docks or the Queen Mary. The leg from Dana Point back to Long Beach could be seen by people in Laguna Beach, Newport Beach, Huntington Beach and Long Beach.

All this running circles in protected water is bogus.

my $.02

G