WTF MD, luxory tax on boats of 35k or more >

WTF MD, luxory tax on boats of 35k or more

Notices

WTF MD, luxory tax on boats of 35k or more

Old 02-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael1
The Federal Government already tried this about 20 years ago, and it devasted the boating industry, with huge job losses. It only recovered after the tax was repealed. I wonder how many people lost their homes during that debacle.

Michael
Yes. The Great "Ted Kennedy" tried this. Within two years he was trying to pass emergency unemployment legislation because he was hit with a few thousand unemployed ship builders in the New England area.

Short memories these people have.

Last edited by Kenthegreenkeeper; 02-28-2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fenderjack
Luxury Tax to be introduced to leg. This is just getting insane with all these taxes, ect ect. Contact you local officials. What are they trying to do to MD boating, jesus.

HB 1345 Has been introduced to the legislature. This bill would impose a “ Luxury Tax” on boat with a price greater than $35,000. This TAX is not limited to boats only. Flood the legislature with phone calls to oppose this bill.

You can view the bill at http://mlis.state.md.us/2012rs/bills/hb/hb1345f.pdf

John jr
Looks like they are going after everything fun: boats, motorcycles, and planes. Seems that some of the Maryland congress have declared war on the middle class...
Old 02-28-2012, 09:42 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not just have a hanger address for your plane in a more friendly state to folks with assets and document your vessel with the Coast Guard? At least performance boats are easily trailered so no way to prove how long the boat has or hasn't been in the state.

I realize what a pain this is but there are plenty of ways to get around this. Hell, even John Kerry moors his boat out of his home state to offset the tax liability. That is the most upsetting part about this is it is the "blue collar" boater that gets hit and just pays it while Johnny big bucks pics up a property in Florida and registers all of the assets there.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being in Delaware, pretty close to the MD line, I hereby offer up my services in this matter to all MD residents. If you would like to avoid this tax, simply sign over your boat/plane/motorhome/ect to me and you can come and use it whenever you like (as long as Im not out using it at the time).
Old 02-29-2012, 06:04 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Crazy for sure. Big gov't answer to it's money problems is to TAX everything and everbody!
Old 02-29-2012, 09:05 AM
Registered

Yacht registry can set you up with a cooperation in DE that will own the boat legally in DE. No need to live in DE. I think it will cost $250-$300. You can also just register the boat in DE if you do >50% of your boating in DE regardless of your location for about $30 per year on boats over 26'. People that slip their boats may have problems.

Last edited by charliem; 03-01-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:14 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by charliem
Yacht registry can set you up with a cooperation in DE that will own the boat legally in DE. No need to live in DE. I think it will cost $250-$300. You can also just register the boat in DE if you do >50% of your boating in DE regardless of your location for about $30 per year on boats over 26'. People that slip their boats may have problems on the second option.
CM,
I see you are located in Dover DE. I will be up there this summer working on Dover AFB, for probobly the rest of the year.... I might bring a boat up, not sure at this moment. I'll look you up when I get up there.
Dean
Old 02-29-2012, 10:22 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 342 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by charliem
Yacht registry can set you up with a cooperation in DE that will own the boat legally in DE. No need to live in DE. I think it will cost $250-$300. You can also just register the boat in DE if you do >50% of your boating in DE regardless of your location for about $30 per year on boats over 26'. People that slip their boats may have problems on the second option.
Great idea, but it doesn't work if you are trying to get over on them. They pay people to ride around in boats and take pictures of boats in slips or on lifts with "out of state" numbers. They follow up a couple of times and date the photos.....and then slam people with a fine and demand for payment. Right Spicy?
Old 02-29-2012, 10:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by OldSchool
Great idea, but it doesn't work if you are trying to get over on them. They pay people to ride around in boats and take pictures of boats in slips or on lifts with "out of state" numbers. They follow up a couple of times and date the photos.....and then slam people with a fine and demand for payment. Right Spicy?
OUCH - Bummer
Old 02-29-2012, 03:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by OldSchool
Just registering a boat in DE and putting it in a slip in MD will eventually get you in trouble, however if you start a company in DE and the boat belongs to the company it is legal and nothing any pictures can do about it as the company is based in DE. This is what yacht registry does. Just see how many out of country boats are registered in DE.

You should read all the advantages of starting a LLC or general corp before passing along some Maryland story about officials taking photos of boats and writing fines. Smart people research before passing unfounded second hand BS.

Last edited by charliem; 02-29-2012 at 03:42 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.