Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Manatee spoted in James River in Richmond... >

Manatee spoted in James River in Richmond...

Notices

Manatee spoted in James River in Richmond...

Old 06-26-2002, 07:03 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

All kidding aside, this MIGHT be the beginning of a "Manatee Habitat Expansion" study that will center around the "Incidental Take" mandate from the USFWS!
Incidental take is a term for accidental deaths of the manatees, and if the "Local" population is one or a couple of them, then the % of allowable "Takes" is going to be very low!
Bottom line, if you have one or two and the % says less that 10%, then there CAN'T be a loss of any, which means IDLE zones will be implemented in ANY and ALL NEW Manatee habitats!! More than likely, these zones would only be seasonal IDLE zones, say March to Sept.
I just recieved a Incidental Take Public input form from the USFWS , via my local Congressman, Dave Weldon, and will be filling it out.
For all you local boaters, this Manatee sighting bears watching! If the SMC finds out about this, (They might already know about it!) or the local Marine institute, they can REQUEST the USFWS to perform a "Incidental Take" study!! And, well, I think you guys can figure out the rest for yourselves!
Welcome to our NIGHTMARE in FL!
MD
Old 06-26-2002, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian,
I think you tried to kill the slug last year after the radar shoot. That wasn't river mud we were sucking out of your block it was manatee blubber. Next time complete the job and kill the living speed bump!!!!
Old 06-27-2002, 11:08 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Barry, I think you might be right! I directly followed another boat through that area, and he didn't hit anything! Maybe that is why it was all plugged, and so slimy, but did not affect the impellor at all!

I guess I can rename my LWP B1 drive to LWMS&S B1 Drive.
(Low Water Manatee Slicer & Sucker). LOL Did anyone see any prop damage on this speedbump on the James? Yet?
Old 06-27-2002, 01:16 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A bunch of us are running up the James River Saturday for a day at either Chippokes Plantation waterfront or at Jamestown Beach. We'll be lookin' to take the little nuisance out before PETA catches wind and blockades the river...