Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Need as much info on Gel Coat as I can get!!! >

Need as much info on Gel Coat as I can get!!!

Notices

Need as much info on Gel Coat as I can get!!!

Old 06-24-2002, 04:57 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hell Jon, sounds like you should bottom paint the thing. I mean it's not like the boat's ever gonna get wet!
Old 06-24-2002, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cord:
Old 06-24-2002, 07:29 PM
Registered

Thumbs down

Don't do it, you will soon be hating life. Gelcoat is meant to be sprayed into a form or mold. Contoling how thick, and how it flows on an open surface is extremely difficult for a seasoned glass man.
Not being that proficient you will most likely create a huge mess for yourself. As some others have already mentioned gelcoat gets hard, real hard and sanding becomes a real chore. Prepare the bottom and patch any imperfections, prime to seal and improve bond. Then spray with a hard paint such as Awlgrip or Imron. Both are extremely tough and will last a good long time.
Repair or replace any worn bunks and rollers on the trailer and go boating.
Good luck with your project !!
Bosco
Old 06-24-2002, 07:46 PM
BlueMoon

HOLY ****!!! Don't even attempt it, like BOSCO said, you'll be asking for the single biggest job ever (NO EXAGERATION). Imagine spraying embeded gravel on the bottom then trying to sand it down smooth. Take a while, huh?

I have seen many re-paints with awlgrip...and if done properly, no problem, AND MUCH EASIER to work with.

Old 06-24-2002, 07:59 PM
Registered

I used epoxey that has teflon in it and I am real pleased with the outcome Interlux the name paint is there game
Old 06-24-2002, 10:14 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok so we have a vote for Awlgrip and another for Interlux. Anyone else want to help out? I was actually doing a lot of reading about the Awlgrip last night and it looks reap promissing. I like the idea that it is not a pourus (sp) paint and will keep the water out. Imron I will not go with. When it comes off it comes off in Sheets and I am not into doing this again.

Cord, Chart YOU GUYS SHOULD TALK
Old 06-24-2002, 10:33 PM
Wildfire

Practice on yours and then I'll drag the magnum up there for you to shoot too. I should have the rest of the paint off tomorrow night. Good luck and I know you will keep us posted. I anticipate doing mine (or having it done) over the winter.

Old 06-25-2002, 06:09 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Another vote for AWLGRIP .Click here for Prep.

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !

Last edited by SHARKEY-IMAGES; 06-25-2002 at 06:13 AM.
Old 06-25-2002, 08:08 AM
NEVRENUFF

Default Gecoat

Hey Jon,

Remember the Sleekcraft?

I painted the bottom with Interlux and the stuff was REALLY tough! I like the Interlux for the bottomside because you can hang the stuff on thicker than Imron without having to apply too many coats. I did all the patch work (and i did lots of it!) with liquid marine-tex. I wet sanded the b'jeesus out of the thing (1st with 220 grit and then w/400) and then bought the Interlux primer/surfacer and white paint with proper thinners. The bottom came out awesome and after 3 years of heavy abuse and lots of operation in the 75-80 MPH range, I had not one problem! I have not used Awlgrip but I think it must be somewhat the same as the Interlux product. For what its worth, I think the finish on the bottom of the Sleekcraft was just as good if not better than the topside of Mark's Veloce.

For the topside, I used Imron (2-colors and clearcoat) and while the gloss was better than the Interlux, it was harder to handle (careful with sags). None the less, I like the Imrom for topside because it is Polyeurethane based so it has excellent solar resistance. I think the Interlux is also Polyeurethane but I'm not sure. And Imron comes standard in a better varieties of colors.

FYI, Stay away from epoxy based stuff for the topside. Epoxy is not so great for UV resistance. It gets chalky with too much sun.

I agree with the other guys on the gelcoat. That sounds like a potential nightmare.

I can give you more details next week.......

Oh and remember....the secret to good looking paint??

PREPWORK!!!

When you think you are done sanding, sand some more!!

I lit off the BAJA 2 days ago......Man that sounded good!

I'm close and hope to be dragging it up tio Maine next week!!!!

Later, Paul

Old 06-25-2002, 09:48 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sharkey thanks for the link. I was checking out that place the other evening and tried to print it out a couple times but it kept messing up. I am going to try again at the shop and see if it will print. I can not stare at the small laptop screen for that long!!

Paul: Thanks for the input. Right now I am focused on the bottom. There is a good place for me to put my tape lines. As of right now I am looking to go back to the factory paint scheme with out the silver. Although I like the idea of all white then go to add vinal later. Man this is a hard decision!!!!!

Quick Reply: Need as much info on Gel Coat as I can get!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.