Notices

Why clever only for #6?

Old 03-08-2012, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why clever only for #6?

This question has always baffled me. Why are the only props available for merc #6 drives and now #8 also clever style propellors (or is someone making different styles I'm not aware of?).
My limited understanding of prop design was that clever style props offered little in the way of bow lift, and actually tended to lift the stern a touch. This is good for cats and hydro's but deep v boats require bow lift, hence the reason mercury makes a huge array of different style props for its outboard range to accommodate this.
I do understand rake can assist with bow lift and have noticed a lot of the 6 drive props incorporate this, just couldn't imagine the clever design being the answer for every application.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:56 PM
Registered

check into the roller props from over seas they are made to fit all applications, but a gear to heaver boats in general.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Registered

Wow. I expected a lot more people would be able to explain this one.
The reason I ask is I want to setup a 21' deep v with 700ish hp na. It's on the on high side for a bravo xr but I don't like the idea of running a #6 purely cause the drive needs to be run deep to prevent rooster tail hitting skiers and clever props are not the best style prop for a deep v boat (from what I understand). Not to mention mercury want an arm and a leg for #6 props!
Old 03-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Registered

Well, I may be way off here, but I didn't think a six drive was meant to be mounted deep, they are a semi-surfacing drive and the prop is meant to surface somewhat. Most #6 drives I have seen are usually mounted with the prop shaft even, or close to even with the bottom of the hull or notch. Not an expert by any means about these drives, just what I read about them.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kurt Hamilton
Wow. I expected a lot more people would be able to explain this one.
The reason I ask is I want to setup a 21' deep v with 700ish hp na. It's on the on high side for a bravo xr but I don't like the idea of running a #6 purely cause the drive needs to be run deep to prevent rooster tail hitting skiers and clever props are not the best style prop for a deep v boat (from what I understand). Not to mention mercury want an arm and a leg for #6 props!
Back up.....You're going to tow someone (a skier) behind a 700 hp 21 ft boat?
Old 03-09-2012, 03:18 PM
msm
Registered

Default Good Question, Kurt

You might have better luck posting this question in the prop talk forum.

Someone like bblades would likely see it and respond.

I'm guessing the cleaver style props, with their thick trailing edge, is the only style strong enough to hold up to massive amounts of horsepower.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by msm
You might have better luck posting this question in the prop talk forum.

Someone like bblades would likely see it and respond.

I'm guessing the cleaver style props, with their thick trailing edge, is the only style strong enough to hold up to massive amounts of horsepower.
Thanks msm. Anyone know how I can just move whole thread there?
Old 03-09-2012, 03:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Big Time
700hp is pretty mild for ski racing. 1700hp twin turbo is the norm. Just building something reliable for offshore.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:32 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt Hamilton
This question has always baffled me. Why are the only props available for merc #6 drives and now #8 also clever style propellors (or is someone making different styles I'm not aware of?).
My limited understanding of prop design was that clever style props offered little in the way of bow lift, and actually tended to lift the stern a touch. This is good for cats and hydro's but deep v boats require bow lift, hence the reason mercury makes a huge array of different style props for its outboard range to accommodate this.
I do understand rake can assist with bow lift and have noticed a lot of the 6 drive props incorporate this, just couldn't imagine the clever design being the answer for every application.
I would like to know the answer to post #1 too.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:37 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Time
You are right, he needs another motor, like this ski-tow boat.
Attached Thumbnails Why clever only for #6?-pic294.jpg  
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.