Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I'm surprised these boats aren't more popular on here... >

I'm surprised these boats aren't more popular on here...

Notices

I'm surprised these boats aren't more popular on here...

Old 03-09-2012, 01:46 AM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by chris@uga
I've seen videos of 50 foot cats blow over when they catch just a little air.

I've been a member of Scream and Fly for years and of course that type of boat is more popular over there. There are members on this site with a LOT of money and dropping $20-30k on a boat would be pocket change. I'm surprised you don't see adrenaline junkies with deep pockets sporting some 125+ mph rockets whether STVs, Hydrostream Vipers, Mirages, etc.

While this site is titled Offshoreonly, I bet a majority of posters don't actually do most of their boating offshore in the Gulf, Atlantic, or Pacific.
Actually, they have a shootout up on the IL river that's supposed to be real popular with these.

After satisfying the girl's wants by buying a 292 Islander (hold 12-14 people and a decent ride at LOTO/Carlyle lakes) instead of a 30-36' Spectre, my wife knows full well that I still have "cat fever" and she was checking out 21-24' Skaters for me to have a "play" boat. I know nothing about outboards and I'm a little shy about getting one because of it. I'm thinking I might have to sign up at S&F to check these out more because it'd be a fun ride on Shelbyville lake, Illinois river, and Mississippi River.

Btw guys, before MTI ever came about you could find Randy Scism out on the Mississippi river racing his Allison outboard around with Baja outboards. Hence why I asked in the MTI section if Randy still had his old Allison.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
Seriously guy??? you cant drive an STV in anything much more than 1.5 ft.....in 2.5 - 3s forget it....we boat a lot on a 20 mi lake, there would be entire weeks on that lake where you couldnt even take an STV out let alone any Great Lake or Lotto or Lake Champlain. You cant take four people and gear on a V King and go for a weekend of boating. You cant sleep overnight on the boat in the Marina and have changes of clothes for the restaurant and coolers and all that, an STV is a cottage rocketship, you gotta be near land....two totally different types of boating, you cant compare the two
But a 21' SOB (Tuff/300XS) would be pretty capable.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:27 AM
Registered

I also LOVE the 21/24 foot Skaters and would most likely end up with one of them before an STV because the extra room would make the wife happy.

The 21' Tuff is really underrated, imo. The boat is totally overbuilt and is VERY fast. There's also a pretty sweet 21 Superboat for sale over on SNF with a 509ci I/O that is running in the upper 80s that I wouldn't mind owning.

I need to win the lottery or end up single again so I have more disposable income. lol
Old 03-09-2012, 07:18 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

I boat that part of the IL river all the time. I've never seen one that far North before (they are just South of Starved Rock in a couple of the scenes by the Rt. 39 bridge). I usually see them on the other side of the Peoria lock between Havana and Pekin (usually around Liverpool). Crazy MoFo's for sure.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:31 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

I have this for sale!
Old 03-09-2012, 08:38 AM
Registered

I guess. If you like boating by yourself. Also you get some really weird tan lines having to wear your life jacket all the time.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by chris@uga
I also LOVE the 21/24 foot Skaters and would most likely end up with one of them before an STV because the extra room would make the wife happy.

Skaters and wife happy don't belong in the same sentence.
Kinda like Boating and Cheap
Old 03-09-2012, 08:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Secret Formula
I guess. If you like boating by yourself. Also you get some really weird tan lines having to wear your life jacket all the time.
If u havent owned, or driven one u won't understand & its hard to explain. U literally feel weightless, or like your flying when these boats are wot skipping across the water ( like johnnys pic ^ )

I wish there was more suited waters around here, id own one again.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by raytart
Skaters and wife happy don't belong in the same sentence.
Kinda like Boating and Cheap
Haha good post

Those look like a lot of fun, but it would be a death sentence on an average weekend on Lake Travis.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:06 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by scarab63
If u havent owned, or driven one u won't understand & its hard to explain. U literally feel weightless, or like your flying when these boats are wot skipping across the water ( like johnnys pic ^ )

I wish there was more suited waters around here, id own one again.
Exactly, when there more air under the boat than water its an awesome feeling. Ocean City will provide the same results

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.