Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by chris@uga View Post
    I've seen videos of 50 foot cats blow over when they catch just a little air.

I've been a member of Scream and Fly for years and of course that type of boat is more popular over there. There are members on this site with a LOT of money and dropping $20-30k on a boat would be pocket change. I'm surprised you don't see adrenaline junkies with deep pockets sporting some 125+ mph rockets whether STVs, Hydrostream Vipers, Mirages, etc.

While this site is titled Offshoreonly, I bet a majority of posters don't actually do most of their boating offshore in the Gulf, Atlantic, or Pacific.
    Actually, they have a shootout up on the IL river that's supposed to be real popular with these.

After satisfying the girl's wants by buying a 292 Islander (hold 12-14 people and a decent ride at LOTO/Carlyle lakes) instead of a 30-36' Spectre, my wife knows full well that I still have "cat fever" and she was checking out 21-24' Skaters for me to have a "play" boat. I know nothing about outboards and I'm a little shy about getting one because of it. I'm thinking I might have to sign up at S&F to check these out more because it'd be a fun ride on Shelbyville lake, Illinois river, and Mississippi River.

Btw guys, before MTI ever came about you could find Randy Scism out on the Mississippi river racing his Allison outboard around with Baja outboards. Hence why I asked in the MTI section if Randy still had his old Allison.

Registered
    My Boats:
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by pullmytrigger View Post
    Seriously guy??? you cant drive an STV in anything much more than 1.5 ft.....in 2.5 - 3s forget it....we boat a lot on a 20 mi lake, there would be entire weeks on that lake where you couldnt even take an STV out let alone any Great Lake or Lotto or Lake Champlain. You cant take four people and gear on a V King and go for a weekend of boating. You cant sleep overnight on the boat in the Marina and have changes of clothes for the restaurant and coolers and all that, an STV is a cottage rocketship, you gotta be near land....two totally different types of boating, you cant compare the two
    But a 21' SOB (Tuff/300XS) would be pretty capable.

Registered
    I also LOVE the 21/24 foot Skaters and would most likely end up with one of them before an STV because the extra room would make the wife happy.

The 21' Tuff is really underrated, imo. The boat is totally overbuilt and is VERY fast. There's also a pretty sweet 21 Superboat for sale over on SNF with a 509ci I/O that is running in the upper 80s that I wouldn't mind owning.

I need to win the lottery or end up single again so I have more disposable income. lol

Platinum Member Platinum Member Knot 4 Me's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Old/Heavy/Slow
    I boat that part of the IL river all the time. I've never seen one that far North before (they are just South of Starved Rock in a couple of the scenes by the Rt. 39 bridge). I usually see them on the other side of the Peoria lock between Havana and Pekin (usually around Liverpool). Crazy MoFo's for sure.

My Boats:
    32 Cobra Raceboat, 27 Avanti Raceboat 27 Kryptonite Raceboat
    I have this for sale!
    2013 Class 4 World Champions
    www.facebook.com/TeamSaris

Registered
    I guess. If you like boating by yourself. Also you get some really weird tan lines having to wear your life jacket all the time.

Registered
    My Boats:
    2005 Nordic Heat
    Quote Originally Posted by chris@uga View Post
    I also LOVE the 21/24 foot Skaters and would most likely end up with one of them before an STV because the extra room would make the wife happy.

Skaters and wife happy don't belong in the same sentence.
    Kinda like Boating and Cheap

Registered
    My Boats:
    an old black boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Formula View Post
    I guess. If you like boating by yourself. Also you get some really weird tan lines having to wear your life jacket all the time.
    If u havent owned, or driven one u won't understand & its hard to explain. U literally feel weightless, or like your flying when these boats are wot skipping across the water ( like johnnys pic ^ )

I wish there was more suited waters around here, id own one again.

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by raytart View Post
    Skaters and wife happy don't belong in the same sentence.
    Kinda like Boating and Cheap
    Haha good post

Those look like a lot of fun, but it would be a death sentence on an average weekend on Lake Travis.

My Boats:
    32 Cobra Raceboat, 27 Avanti Raceboat 27 Kryptonite Raceboat
    Quote Originally Posted by scarab63 View Post
    If u havent owned, or driven one u won't understand & its hard to explain. U literally feel weightless, or like your flying when these boats are wot skipping across the water ( like johnnys pic ^ )

I wish there was more suited waters around here, id own one again.
    Exactly, when there more air under the boat than water its an awesome feeling. Ocean City will provide the same results
    2013 Class 4 World Champions
    www.facebook.com/TeamSaris

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast