Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I'm surprised these boats aren't more popular on here... >

I'm surprised these boats aren't more popular on here...

Notices

I'm surprised these boats aren't more popular on here...

Old 03-09-2012, 11:40 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had one yrs ago and all i can say they're a BLAST. Had a Action Marine than a STV..... I wouldn't mind having another one....The best turn key 100 mph plus boat
Old 03-10-2012, 03:00 AM
Registered

Received 1,809 Likes on 709 Posts
Default No I haven't.

Originally Posted by chris@uga
Twin O/B Sonic, have you driven a Hydrostream Venom? I'm very interested in those as well as STVs. Can you give me the pros and cons of each, in your opinion?

Thanks!
Many claim the Venom's bottom is a splash of an Allison and does look very similar. An Allison is THE fastest V-bottom O/B boat on the planet. I'd buy an "A Boat" before the Stream. Their construction and glass work is second to none. An Allison Super Sport is similar to the Venom in styling and IMO, one of the most beautiful V's there is. Resale would be much better as well.
As far as Pro/Con it's a personal preference thing. Driver competence and effort is one of the biggest differences between an A boat and a tunnel.
I tell people if you drove a tunnel boat @ a 100 the first time you'd get out smiling from ear to ear and be giddy for a 1/2 hr afterwords.
Do that in an A boat and your hands will be shaking and you'll need a cigarette even if you don't smoke
It'd take me 5 mins of coaching to get my wife to drive an STV @ a 100.
An A boat she'd get to about 60 and get out.
In typical water it takes way more driver input in the V than the tunnel. ( the reward for those of us that like to earn our speed)
Another huge aspect is passenger comfort and (perceived) safety. @ 80 in slop in the tunnel your passengers will be grinning from ear to ear. Same conditions in the A boat they will be expecting to see Jesus at any minute

Had a buddy in Ohio that after 5 mins of coaching was driving (solo) my STV at a 100. Same guy wouldn't even get in my old Hyrdostream (bellow) at the same speed.
New project is the blue/red Stream.

FF2, true dat!

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 03-10-2012 at 03:02 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:44 AM
Quent
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been fortunate enough to own and live through 4 Hydrostreams (V King-turned this one over backward-, 2 Yt's , Xt) 3 Allisons (2 "Canoes" 1 Drag Boat) and one Mirage Tunnel.

The most fun was the Mirage, (rightfully called the "Nervous Mother"). I had 2 different motors. The one that blew up the most was a 260 Merc with 6 2 bbl carbs and nitrous. Quick. The most reliable was a 280 Merc OB, bone stock. With a 24 Yam prop standing start to 100mph was about 10 to 12 seconds.

The Mirage, much like the STV, was very easy to operate with setup being critical. Lots of good stories but 120mph on a skateboard will get anyone's adrenalin going. I ain't too old to do this again, just too wise. Quent
Old 03-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 1,809 Likes on 709 Posts
Default Yep....

Originally Posted by Quent
I ain't too old to do this again, just too wise. Quent
a friend of mine told me it's not "IF" but "WHEN". A hook is what scares me the most and especially if you have a passenger. I had a friend that bought a 25' Talon after hooking his A Boat @ speed and sending both he and his wife through the side of the boat.
Another friend was pushing his STV way harder than conditions would permit and it stuffed. Course the boat stopped and he didn't.
Looked like some one took a chain saw and cut out a 3' wide notch from the dash to the bow eye. was of course his body that did it though.
That small/fast it can be anything too. Stick a motor, throw a blade etc.
Here's some shots of my STV from the first day I owned it. Inland lake in spring, just after they raised the water level back from winter level.
Someone left some scraps on their shore after repairing their dock. Water came up, floated off a chunk of pressure treated 4" X 4".
I hit it at 95 MPH w/my buddy in the back seat. Beat us both up pretty good.
And to Chris, there's one of the reasons there's not more of them. Lot's of newbies get one and get into trouble right off the bat.