Notices

Our new Velocity 290SC

Old 03-09-2012, 03:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Our new Velocity 290SC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXlxsAezg8g

The build of our 290SC started in Nov 2011 finished Jan 2012. Poker Runs did a test / review on the boat on Lake Monroe one week before the Miami Boat Show.....84.9 on GPS with two people turning a hydromotive Intimidator P-5 Lab 29" pitch at 4900 RPM. I sent the prop out to lossen and pick up more revs. I have also a Hydromotive Quad IV 28" pitch(was sent out to tighten-was over reving), a Mercury Maximus 28" pitch Lab, and a Hering Bravo 1 Six blade 28".
Our experience with Velocity was over the top. Kenny Hohwiesner provided a level of customer service that I thought didnt exist anymore. Kenny is driven from the heart with his love of boating. An amazing individual with exceptional attention to detail. Kenny typically does the work of three people.....a very high level of energy.
Kenny convinced me to upgrade to the HP525.....I am glad that I did. His assistance through the whole design process was invaluable.
Steve Stepp and the entire Velocity Team represent the true essence of the industry and sport. A great family!!!!

Need Help! I plan on towing the boat with a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland that has the 360 HP Hemi and tow package. Do I need load leveling hitch or sway bars?
We will tow infrequently as we live on a lake and will keep the boat on a boat lift.

One more thing. Does anyone participate in our Poker Run on Oneida Lake (see link below)?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tpIjCil9kc
Old 03-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim1750
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXlxsAezg8g

The build of our 290SC started in Nov 2011 finished Jan 2012. Poker Runs did a test / review on the boat on Lake Monroe one week before the Miami Boat Show.....84.9 on GPS with two people turning a hydromotive Intimidator P-5 Lab 29" pitch at 4900 RPM. I sent the prop out to lossen and pick up more revs. I have also a Hydromotive Quad IV 28" pitch(was sent out to tighten-was over reving), a Mercury Maximus 28" pitch Lab, and a Hering Bravo 1 Six blade 28".
Our experience with Velocity was over the top. Kenny Hohwiesner provided a level of customer service that I thought didnt exist anymore. Kenny is driven from the heart with his love of boating. An amazing individual with exceptional attention to detail. Kenny typically does the work of three people.....a very high level of energy.
Kenny convinced me to upgrade to the HP525.....I am glad that I did. His assistance through the whole design process was invaluable.
Steve Stepp and the entire Velocity Team represent the true essence of the industry and sport. A great family!!!!

Need Help! I plan on towing the boat with a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland that has the 360 HP Hemi and tow package. Do I need load leveling hitch or sway bars?
We will tow infrequently as we live on a lake and will keep the boat on a boat lift.

One more thing. Does anyone participate in our Poker Run on Oneida Lake (see link below)?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tpIjCil9kc
That's pretty fricking sweet to have a vid like that of your actual boat, CONGRATS, Looks like its a real runner, bring it down to Buffalo for our run in Aug I wanna check it out!!
Old 03-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts
Thumbs up

Congrats on one very sweet ride . Gotta love those Velocities and Steve Stepp .
Old 03-09-2012, 10:01 PM
Registered

I really like the look of this boat! Congrats!

Last edited by BajaDream07; 03-09-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:24 PM
Registered

Boat sure looks and runs great. What does it weigh? I don't think I would tow it very far with a jeep...the hitch will help you some, but the brakes are the main thing. It's gotta be over the max weight for a jeep. Maybe not....Congrats on the boat, I like it!!!!
Old 03-09-2012, 10:33 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

Awesome rig!
Old 03-09-2012, 10:44 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Saw it in person at the Miami show. I guess you and your wife were sitting with Steve when I was looking at it.

Kenny said its going to NY. My old neck of the woods and same as above boated alot in Lake George NY. Man I miss the summers up there. You guys can have the winters.

Your boat looked great and like the Eddie Marine seat bases along with the interior. If I ever make a trip back I want a ride.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Registered

Nice boat, like the 29ft with a single doin 80+. jeep says 5000lbs with tow package
Old 03-09-2012, 10:57 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome Boat!! Enjoy!! That video is awesome also!! Two legends in your boat!!
Old 03-10-2012, 12:48 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim1750,

I'll give you a few experiences towing which has convinced me to always have a sway bar, even on smaller loads/trailer.

Heading to San Carlos Mexico with a barth 28' travel trailer, dust devil about blew the thing over, almost didn't keep control, with a sway bar, also saw the dust devil before it hit and being some what prepared.

I have had dogs run out in front on highway's in Mexico with my old aquasport 222, no shoulder, no where to go, no time to hit brakes or anything, but the point is, a sway bar is going to keep that trailer in better control if you have to hit the brakes or do any maneuvering. It helps keep that over compensating affect trying to catch up to the oscillations when something un-expected happens.

Back in the 70's and 80's the Mexican bus lines had these big azz buses with 4 front wheels, one in front of the other, 2 to each side. Back then they used to run 75 to 90 mph day or night, now days they average more around 70-75, they are trying to make gringo's feel saver. Because of cattle, dogs, horses, only safe way to drive at night was to pull in behind one of those buses or a semi's, and let them clear the road, if you could keep up!

Pulling along leisurely at about 65 with the aquasport, one of those buses blow by at 85-90 mph is quite an experience, same with the semi's, though in those days not all the semi's were powerful enough to go that fast.

There was only 8' lanes with the white line, no shoulder, no room for error, the buses passed by with a few inches to spare, at best, if you wanted to keep the mirror. The wind currents would wip that boat all over the place. As soon as you saw one coming up in the mirror, instant pucker factor!

The buses and semi's would really hit it on those long straights. I have even followed buses and semi's through rather tight swerves/bends in the road at 90, did not have the balls to go much faster in a car, they do have great road holding at those speeds, but it does take some getting used to.

Any measure of additional safety is not a bad thing, when you need it, you really need it.

Some of my best memories, besides boating (old man started racing outboards in Wis. in the 1930's), is driving in Mexico. Started driving on the roads at 10 in town, at 12 had a drivers license. The first time I drove from Nogales Az. to San Carlos (Guaymas) Sonora (12 years old) was with a jeep cherokee with a 12' general hauling trailer full of stuff. One of the best times I have ever had. More close calls over the years than I can remember. Any margin of safety is a good thing, most important watch the next corner, think well ahead of where you are currently at, just like going fast in a boat.

I also learned when passing buses/semi's on a motorcycle, do it above 125 mph, as between 100-125 the wind blast was really bad, and somewhat dangerous. Had a yamaha fzr 1000 in 1988, not stock, cruised at 135 mph, could drop a gear and jump on it, readline 168 mph. Not fast nowadays, but a bit quicker than stock one's now (with a good hookup), fzr 1000 was the sheeeeet back then, 5 valves per cylinder.

Unfortunately nowadays, the federal'es actually stop you for speeding in Mexico (limit 100 kph, but they allow 70-75mph if your not being stupid). Back in the day you could pass them if you slowed down a bit, 80-90 mph, they did not care, just pass them, but do slow down to show them some respect and more importantly, show you are paying attention!

Yes I have seen the aftermath of deadly accidents, even a bus with bodies and parts strewn for at least a hundred yards. But despite the higher speeds. I have seen far fewer accidents than on American highways. I believe the reason for this, as in my case, with no shoulders, if you make ONE mistake, you are dead. So for the most part, some caution was taken, but then with no shoulders and two lanes, timing was everything and misses by inches were common for which you became accustomed to. It does help to be a little bit crazy!

Still today, the most dangerous drivers on the road in Mexico are the Americans, they usually do the wrong thing, simply not accustomed to the kind of driving and two lanes which they think is one lane! Pisses me off when they block both lanes. Don't need no stinking badges, or foot of clearance, 10cm is more than enough!

Last edited by SinOjos; 03-10-2012 at 01:04 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.