Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
When Buying - How Do I Not to Get Taken on Engine Hours? >

When Buying - How Do I Not to Get Taken on Engine Hours?

Notices

When Buying - How Do I Not to Get Taken on Engine Hours?

Old 03-13-2012, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

used is used and hours on a boat is a fairly ambigous criteria to really look at when boat shopping. 1000hours a boat doesnt mean anything. If its in good shape and has rebuilt engines and drives I wouldnt have a problem. Looking at an hour meter would be something to check but wouldnt put much weight into it.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:38 AM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by TCBoss302
No doubt, I thought I was a pretty good judge of character until this deal. I really thought that both Scott Nagy, the dentist, Jeff Wilson, his mechanic, were credible, boy was I wrong. Both liars that some how have no regret about what they did to me, and I guess most crooks don't . What this tells me, is that they will do it again. All beware, Scott Nagy has a 405 Baja and boats out of Port Clinton and Jeff Wilson is actually selling boats for Marine Tech Concepts.

Sorry for the semi-hijack, but point being, trust no one!!!
No semi-hijack there. It puts things into perspective.

I talked to a guy about a boat today. He said he kept it in his garage. When I asked for his address to see the boat, he said, "I'm not going to have you come to the house. We'll meet somewhere." That seems suspicious to me. What do you guys think?

Michael
Old 03-14-2012, 01:01 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I think he's just being safe, so that his property doesnt get stolen....
Old 03-14-2012, 01:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael1

I talked to a guy about a boat today. He said he kept it in his garage. When I asked for his address to see the boat, he said, "I'm not going to have you come to the house. We'll meet somewhere." That seems suspicious to me. What do you guys think?

Michael
Originally Posted by jmoore1225
I think he's just being safe, so that his property doesnt get stolen....
I agree; however, that is kind of a double edged sword that the seller is playing with. If he's serious about selling his boat he would probably just have you come over; however, this world is so f'd up these days you really have to cover your ass. You should be able to tell if the boat was garaged and cared for regardless. Whenever I have sold a car (or anything for that matter) I've always just had the buyer meet me at my house.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:45 AM
Registered

Michael
As a buyer I see your point. As a seller I see his too. I mean garage kept is another ambigous thing to look at it. Guy can say its been in a garage and you can look at in a garage and that means nothing. He could have just said that or put it in the garage when you came over, and if hes not the original owner, he cant verify what happened before he owned it.

I have friend that wont do deals like this at their house either and I see their point. With they way people are today. And the fact that once something is privately sold its yours, I dont need you coming back to my house complaining.

Personally I am in the habit of not giving out my phone number anymore. Had an issue a while back with this. I have lost some buyers and lost some deals to buy items. But if you can communicate through email then I cant do business. You dont need my phone number.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

My intuition was right. I called the company who supposedly put a "brand new engine" in the boat several years ago. They said the replacement engine was NOT new as the seller claimed.

Looks like it is holding true. "Every boat comes with its own crook."

With the amount of time wasted looking at misrepresented boats, I have to wonder if I could just get a second job, and buy a new boat.

Michael
Old 03-14-2012, 12:55 PM
Registered

Well if it makes you more confused, my used boat purchases held up better than buying brand new- worst deal I've ever made financially and mental health !!! LOL
Old 03-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

1 out of 9 boats that I've purchased went south... The writing was on the wall, my bad, I was just so friggen excited to get my first Cig that I overlooked some items.

Used is used ! Great statement- be very critical, it's your money. But all the checking and double checking you do won't stop the drive from failing the first time you take it out and lightly put it into gear.
Good luck.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:49 PM
Registered

I own a mercruiser Scan tool... I plug it in, and read what the engines computer tells me.

and if ona newer one it will show how many of those hours where at what RPM....
Old 03-15-2012, 08:41 AM
Registered

My intuition was right. I called the company who supposedly put a "brand new engine" in the boat several years ago. They said the replacement engine was NOT new as the seller claimed.

Looks like it is holding true. "Every boat comes with its own crook."

With the amount of time wasted looking at misrepresented boats, I have to wonder if I could just get a second job, and buy a new boat.

Michael
Some people confuse brand new with rebuilt. Either way get the survery and engine checked if the results are fine and the price is right go for it. Used is used, if you want new your going to have to pay for new.